News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 766     0 

Heintzman Place (formerly Village By High Park, Junction, Options, 23s, Burka)

The wiring doesn't seem to have changed.

Some peeps are already moving in to the east building--wonder what it's like? Do you enjoy the rumble of the trains? :D

21 September 2010:

dsc00647q.jpg

Anyone else finding the complex is turning out awfully overbearing and oppressive?

Yup - It makes its presence felt far beyond its immediate area. The project is what the local community wanted though apparently...

It seems to step up from the Dundas West streetscape nicely. The dominating scale of the tower on Keele really adds drama and urbanizes what was a dreary stretch of road. It will also bring retail to Keele. The entrance off Heintzman Street acknowledges the midrise building's role as the view terminus for the street, though the design details could have been better. The brick facades and the midrise components make it seem like a progression from the Victorian built-form, rather than something at odds with it.

The shops in the area could definitely do with the extra foot traffic!!!! There are loads of empty units atm. I hope that the buildings do provide some of the economic stimulus that the area needs.

It would be great to have something more dramatic there. I am afraid that I don't consider dominating and dramatic the same thing in a building. The site is large and there are so many ways to view it, they could have really "Kicked Up Keele". There are so many inspiring examples of brick buildings around that area that the old buildings really put this one to shame. The community were keen to have a development that was relatively affordable, and I guess that affordable to buy means "cost-effective" to build. What the area got was a series of big chunky boxes, with no interesting detail and the developer will say that they delivered what the community requested.

I quite like the scale of the frontage on Keele too I think - I reserve judgment until I see them finished though.

I think that this building definitely gets a could do better. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens in this area over the next decade or two. There are a number of parcels of old industrial land to be developed on the other side of the tracks, aren't there?

I totally disagree with some of these comments. I really wasn't expecting much when I first saw the drawings, but if you walk around the site, the attention to detail and quality are way beyond what I expected. I think it's a beautiful building.

Some peeps are already moving in to the east building--wonder what it's like? Do you enjoy the rumble of the trains? :D

21 September 2010:

dsc00647q.jpg

Why don't you ask the same question to the thousands of people who live beside the same train track in the GTA. And, specifically, why not ask the people who live by this same track in Summerhill or Rosedale?

Yep. From the North side it looks very much like a huge c. 1950s tenement. Not surprising given the developer and architect.

I just can't see what is so terrible about the building. True, the complex is quite large, but it seems to fit within the area quite nicely. I thought that especially the front looked quite nice, leading into the residential area. It would be much easier to to fit in a smaller building. The problem with the north side is that because of the stupid NRT demands, there cannot be any balconies or proper windows, and it could not be resolved otherwise.

If you take a look at downtown Toronto, there are old and new structures side by side, and I think it's pretty cool It may take some getting used to the idea of a tall building where there used to be none, but I think it will work out well eventually. Especially when all the landscaping is finished.

And about the project being "cost effective". With other developments, you pay for marketing costs, model suites, pools, etc. Options decided to do without all this. I lived in a building with a nice pool, but never used it because the chlorine was bothering me too much. So why pay for it? Anyway, what is wrong with Deltera? I heard horror stories from friends who moved into new condos, but none of them was built by Deltera.

Many of us bought into the project because we like the Options' concept, the idea of a green building, and it does not hurt to get a suite 50% lbigger than most of the other developers would offer at the same cost. I'd rather put my money elsewhere than into out-of-control overpriced real estate that can't go anywhere but down anyway.

All right - enough of the ramble... :) It's been just on my mind.

Last edited:
The building should be sound-proof, and protected against any potential train accidents by a specifically constructed wall. It will be seen how well it works!!

And Becker has a really good point - there are people all over the city living by the same tran track. I think it is definitely better than be overlooking a highway, or so.

Back