News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Heintzman Place (formerly Village By High Park, Junction, Options, 23s, Burka)

May 29 2010 update

Calling this project Village "by" High Park was really a stretch considering how far it is from Bloor ...

nonetheless I do like what I see on my first visit to the site~

Click to Enlarge

Last edited:
Heintzman Place is a great name because it references local history. Also, not having "village" in the name is a plus, because a high-rise building isn't a "village" and the Junction ultimately assumed city status before it was annexed.

And, it isn't exactly "by High Park". So, they dodge a "deceptive naming" bullet there.

1 June 2010 update--taken pretty close to High Park:

dsc08306u.jpg

I really like the presence and materials of this one. A very good first skyscraper for the Junction!

It's very the Avenue on St Clair: dark red brick with precast square pippy-poos.

4778703840_e453e11ef8_b.jpg

4778703540_33c0cd6f97_b.jpg

The backside has a monolithic factory feel, which is appropriate for the area. I kind of like it!

4778069799_30cfc164c9_b.jpg

So sad...I feel for this neighbourhood.

Why? With the exception of the back of the building seen in the last photo taken from Junction Road, it's a handsome addition to the area that seems to progress from the Victorian streetscapes. (That recent EIFS work on the warehouse at the silos property on Junction Road is awful but it was abandoned for years.) Heintzman Place will provide new retail spaces and widen the sidewalk on Keele, on a very dreary stretch of road.

Everyone talks of how the neighbourhood is up-and-coming. It seems to get more positive press then the likes of Corktown yet plenty of great properties sit empty. I don't know why; maybe the bankers have blacklisted the area and don't provide credit for development. Anyways, development like this is critical to demonstrating the area's economic viability and it's not unattractive.

Back