News   Jul 25, 2024
 425     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 462     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

April 19:

3457339425_bdc610b765_b.jpg

From the minutes of the Feb. 11th Waterfront Design Review Panel, re: Spadina Bridge:

Spadina Bridge
-Although the design of the bridge is complete, the timeline for its delivery has slowed down due to concerns raised by the residents of 401 Queens Quay, the building adjacent to the site. The residents have issues with the design of the bridge and although multiple public and stakeholder meetings were held, they continue to have concerns. Waterfront Toronto has been working with the residents to address their issues and concurrently the team is working on getting the Class Environmental Assessment (CEA) approved. (p. 2)

One panel member asked if the residents of 401 Queens Quay have the power to actually stop the bridge from being constructed. Mr. Glaisek answered that the residents are concerned that the bridge will compromise their building and their views, noting that they could request a "bump-up" through the CEA process, noting that CEA screenings usually focus more on environmental factors. (p. 3)

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//49e891f753260.pdf

___

Ridiculous - considering how trashy 401 Queens Quay looks and compromises the waterfront... :mad:

AoD

Last edited:
From the minutes of the Feb. 11th Waterfront Design Review Panel, re: Spadina Bridge:

Spadina Bridge
-Although the design of the bridge is complete, the timeline for its delivery has slowed down due to concerns raised by the residents of 401 Queens Quay, the building adjacent to the site. The residents have issues with the design of the bridge and although multiple public and stakeholder meetings were held, they continue to have concerns. Waterfront Toronto has been working with the residents to address their issues and concurrently the team is working on getting the Class Environmental Assessment (CEA) approved. (p. 2)

One panel member asked if the residents of 401 Queens Quay have the power to actually stop the bridge from being constructed. Mr. Glaisek answered that the residents are concerned that the bridge will compromise their building and their views, noting that they could request a "bump-up" through the CEA process, noting that CEA screenings usually focus more on environmental factors. (p. 3)

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//49e891f753260.pdf

___

Ridiculous - considering how trashy 401 Queens Quay looks and compromises the waterfront... :mad:

AoD

In my view the West 8 project (head of slips/bridges) continues to enhance the waterfront area here making it a much more pleasurable place to be. Where were these cretins during the consultation process? Further, I'd submit property values will continue to increase along Queens Quay as this project continues to move forward, not withstanding the current state of the resale market. Screw them and their "compromised" views, there's something deeper going on here. Who wouldn't want to look out their window and see this?

spadinabridge.jpg

dt_toronto_geek:

Maybe they don't want it to look too nice and become popular - then the space becomes truly public, not their own quasi-private backyard.

AoD

Since when did they inherit the right to any views - especially over public property. I would definitely love to have a chat with these folks...

Compromise their views?! Is there a calm and polite way to tell these residents to 'sod off?'

Furthermore, I agree with AOD. The 'dead zone' at the back of 401 QQ has cut off access to HtO and engendered the 'backyard' effect described above.

Since when did they inherit the right to any views - especially over public property. I would definitely love to have a chat with these folks...

Exactly. What makes them different from the thousands of us that have our views blocked by newer condos? They're complaining about an addition of an attractive bridge that is part of an overall improvement to their area? WTF?

Though I suppose at this point, my agreement is hardly necessary, I say: expropriate the ground floor of 401 Queens Quay and make it better for those just passing by. Provide some retail or commerce, hide a bit of the concrete, and get rid of the fence that is an affront to those just passing by.

I find it hard to imagine that this building won not one, but two different architectural awards.

We'll all have to erect a 5 story brick wall in front of the building to show them what it's really like to have your view blocked :)

This is ridiculous, I'm not even sure what view would be blocked for units on very low levels anyway. On higher levels it must nice to look out at the bridge. Anyway, hopefully this won't cause any delays.

Looking at the photo, you can see they have installed wood planking on the steel beams that did not received glue lam beams.

These people who move down here think it's their own space and the public has no rights to the waterfront at all. These NIMBY's either accept what taking place or move on.

If Toronto decided not to dump land fill into the water edge, the waterfront would looked a lot different than it does today.

dt_toronto_geek:

Maybe they don't want it to look too nice and become popular - then the space becomes truly public, not their own quasi-private backyard.

AoD

Precisely, exactly my thought.

Unbelievable! I would be proud to be able to look out my window and see such beautiful design elements for the public to use!

This makes me so damn angry. Losing a "view" is hardly an environmental concern. Ugh this makes my blood boil!

Back