News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

This is quite a gem of a little project. It definitely adds interest to this area. Canadians have always been very good at wood projects (pathways, overlooks, etc.). I hope we see more of this.

compared to:
PICT2000.jpg

I walked by this site everyday on my way to work and this was a gradual fade.

Point taken :)

But are you sure the pictures above are not the final version before it was stained?

Either way I don't mind the new colour! ... I still wouldn't call it gray.
If they could incorporate it into the QQ plan it might be great.

To be honest in the earlier pictures it looks unfinished!

The darker wood makes it look more complete.

Is the wood cedar?

The waterfront is changing quickly, I'm glad that all these fantastic details are going to be in plcae before Queen's Quay itself is redone...if it had been the other way around I fear we may never have seen wave decks and bridges.

Point taken :)

But are you sure the pictures above are not the final version before it was stained?

Either way I don't mind the new colour! ... I still wouldn't call it gray.
If they could incorporate it into the QQ plan it might be great.

I can't say I ever saw them staining the wood. I walked by twice a day for the entire time it was being built and don't ever recall seeing them stain the wood. I'm pretty sure the staining process would have taken long enough that I would have seen it at some point I think.

I could be wrong though. I guess we'll have two more examples coming soon anyways.

From WT, on Spadina Wave Deck re: materials

Two types of wood were used to build the deck: Ipe wood, a durable hardwood with an extended life-cycle of 40 years; and gluelam Coastal Yellow cedar, chosen for its waterrepellent character.

Ipe wood was also used for Waterfront Toronto’s water’s edge improvement projects at York and John Quays, which helps provide a coherency and unified look for the central waterfront.

The steps are large gluelam Coastal Yellow Cedar timbers which were custom milled to accurate radii in order to obtain the playful undulating curves of the deck.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//495111a6c7be4.pdf

AoD

I'm not sure how I feel about the wood though. The grey colour wood gets as it ages I find unappealing. Couldn't they have used a fake wood and then it would have lasted longer?

Personally, I love faded wooden waterfront structures. It gives an authentic look and feel of a harbour. If it squeaks, it'll be even better. :) New and fresh-looking wood is just not the same.

I wish the Wang & Dansky) buildings could be imploded. (every single one of them!) They were the start of Toronto's waterfront disaster. (Well, that and Harbour Square)

I wish the Wang & Dansky) buildings could be imploded. (every single one of them!) They were the start of Toronto's waterfront disaster. (Well, that and Harbour Square)

Which ones are the Wang & Dansky buildings? If they are the beige ones on the north side -- at least they'e on the north side, and there is some hope for beautifying the streetscape below. Harbour Square is atrocious. Every time I walk down the dark stretch of Queen's Quay between it and the unfortunately-named "World Trade Centre" I come close to losing all hope for the waterfront. (Then I reach HtO and the Spadina wave deck and get a little more optimistic again.)

Wang and Dansky built those curved beige ones and also those cheap-assed ones that have the Rabba, across from Harbourfront. Yeah, they are on the north side of QQ, so they are not as deadly as the hated, Harbour Square but they are butt ugly and also hated by many Torontonians. Imagine how much nicer the harbourfront would have been without Harbour Square! I can't walk by those buildings without getting pissed off, even though they have been there for many years. I'm totally effected by my environment. That shows how important the build form is for some people.

While the original red patina is gone, a new colour has emerged, showing the wood as a natural and weathered product - don't forget it was pretty cold and this deck was covered in snow/ice/water etc. for the last 6 months- that would make most woods change their colouring, if not somewhat then entirely as we see here.

p5

Anyone know if the Simcoe deck will be wheelchair accessible, like the Spadina deck, because the waves are so violent?? It seems pretty easy to place this on Rees, but Simcoe...

Back