News   Jul 15, 2024
 476     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 585     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Hamilton Grand (Stinson, 15s)

Downtown Hamilton is beautiful and has so much potential-- it deserves better than this awful mistakenly-faux-historical pastiche. Looks more like a cheap Hampton Inn that one would find along the 401 than a proper urban development.

Stinson's concept drawing depicts a classic chateau-style hotel with arched ground-floor windows, a strikingly green mansard roof and mustard-coloured top floors.
Stinson said he wants primary colours up there, lots of jewel tones.
"We wanted to really stand out from all the grey and taupe and beige and more grey (that's in the core)."

He wants it to "stand out". Is there not a condo with the exact same colour scheme two blocks to the south west?

Last edited:
156 stories?! I think that's my first thread title typo... and such an appropriate one for Stinson too. All fixed now though!

I wouldn't go as far to call downtown Hamilton beautiful in its current state however, it does have the potential to be beautiful. Unfortunately, that will never happen with the likes of this development and a dozen other really, really bad faux historcist projects as enforced by the urban design policies.

I wouldn't go as far to call downtown Hamilton beautiful in its current state however, it does have the potential to be beautiful. Unfortunately, that will never happen with the likes of this development and a dozen other really, really bad faux historcist projects as enforced by the urban design policies.

Could you please elaborate? What urban design "policies" does the City of Hamilton use to "enforce" the creation of faux historic projects? If you mean design guidelines, they are hardly "policies" nor are they intended to be "enforceable" in the sense to which you are implying.

Off to Niagara!

This project is dead (shocker).

Stinson blames City red tape as he couldn't negotiate out of a setback City Planners insisted on, though it's rumored to be lack of financial support.

Also, and I couldn't find a post on it, it appears his 'Signature Project' the Stinson School Lofts (named after the Stinson neighborhood, NOT Harry) is on life support:

Stinson climbing ‘steep hill’ to complete namesake condo project
Harry Stinson’s $15-million condominium project at the former Stinson School is several months behind schedule. He vows to get it done.
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/a...steep-hill-to-complete-namesake-condo-project

Of course it was a lack of financial support. Would you give this guy money after everything that's happened with his previous developments?

Of course it was a lack of financial support. Would you give this guy money after everything that's happened with his previous developments?

I think you mean "everything that HASN'T happened w/ his previous developments"
In Hamilton, that includes:
-The Royal Connaught Spire (Pyramid).
-The Royal Connaught Reno (sans-pyramid).
-The Hamilton Grand (original location attached to the Royal Connaught)
-The Hamilton Grand (new location across the street from Royal Connaught)
-Stinson School Lofts (which are apparently still U/C, yet apparently 7 months behind).

Harry blames the City of Hamilton for his woes in that town, however despite his 'issues' with the 'City', there are currently 3 condo projects on the go in Downtown Hamilton:
-UrbanWest Condos
-CitySquare Condos
-Witton Lofts
(click name for link to UT thread)

How come they aren't having the same issues w/ the City? They seem to be doing just fine.

This project is dead (shocker).

Stinson blames City red tape as he couldn't negotiate out of a setback City Planners insisted on, though it's rumored to be lack of financial support.

Also, and I couldn't find a post on it, it appears his 'Signature Project' the Stinson School Lofts (named after the Stinson neighborhood, NOT Harry) is on life support:

Dont get it:confused:.... one minute people have written him off, another minute he has a bunch of projects on the go..lol:D

Condo projects showing promise in the core
Hamilton’s core is on the cusp of a condo boom.

Stinson says the updated plans for the Grand are “less elaborate than before, but more financeable.â€

Stinson also says he’s aware that some associate him with past projects that have fallen through, including previous iterations of the Grand.

“I do realize there will be the usual skepticism, but I don’t give up,†he said. “I’m used to the concept of having to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and take another run at it. This particular process has required a little more dusting off than I would hope.â€
More.......http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/648908--condo-projects-showing-promise-in-the-core

Other developments for Hamilton
Massive renewal project under way downtown
http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/639487--massive-renewal-project-under-way-downtown

Back