News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 465     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

GTTA Legislation Introduced

I can't imagine McCallion wholeheartedly pushing for increased regionalization of any kind no matter how much sense it makes and I doubt anything will change fundamentally in that respect until she leaves office. Regardless of how impressive she is otherwise, Mississauga is her baby.

I have great respect for its boosters and the history of its former villages, but to pretend the Mississauga of the last three decades is anything but an extension of Toronto is counterproductive.

Geez, all she is asking for is for Mississauga to get fair representation on GTTA, and even suggesting Toronto should get an extra seat as well. MT is large system so this is not an unreasonable demand.

I don't disagree with her GTTA request in particular, but I have a hard time picturing her supporting something like Peel Transit :)

Maybe she would support a Bramptosauga Transit instead, since it excludes Caledon (which is main problem of Peel Region) and the two system already have much coordination.
61394964.bs_transit__logo.gif

Forget a Peel Transit or any of that.

What we need is WEST TORONTO TRANSIT, covering Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, and Burlington :)

Then we will have the TTC, and three suburban systems for each area, east, west, and north of Toronto. That is the best.

And the name of the system for Peel and Halton I think should be West Toronto Transit, just so everyone in Mississauga remembers who they really are a part of :)

(1) Those in Burlington might think of themselves more as NE Hamiltonians...

(2) when I and most anyone else see the term "West Toronto", we think of the Junction...

Re: Battle Lines Already Being Drawn

Oddly Hamilton will be part of the GTTA if it goes thru, I don't really consider Hamilton part of the GTA at all. Oakville is, Burlington is in the middle to what I believe.

Those in Burlington might think of themselves more as NE Hamiltonians...

As a Burlingtonian from the age of 5 until 18, and then again from 23 - 25, I can assure you that we want no part of being associated with Hamilton. It's dirty. And Oakville is full of spoiled rich people. No, Burlington stands alone! ;)

To deal who sits on the board, I have suggested to use a population figure of 500,000 per director and Peel would have 3, not the 1 proposed now.

Toronto is to have 5.

Peel Transit is the way to go or MissBram Transit

If you want to it right, the directors/CEO/General manager of transit should be the ones sitting on the board also.

Re: Battle Lines Already Being Drawn

Oddly Hamilton will be part of the GTTA if it goes thru, I don't really consider Hamilton part of the GTA at all. Oakville is, Burlington is in the middle to what I believe.
Hamilton pays into GO Transit and receives service in return. That would be the main reason why they would have to be included in any GTTA.

Peel Transit is the way to go or MissBram Transit
The only potential problem with Peel Transit is how does Caledon fit in? Personally, I'd like to see Caledon leave Peel Region entirely and join Dufferin County, but that's not likely to happen, so a future Peel Transit would probably need to serve the few urbanized areas of Caledon (namely Bolton).

"The only potential problem with Peel Transit is how does Caledon fit in?"

How does Georgina fit in with YRT? Peel Transit can run a couple of local routes around Bolton.

I've always thought Caledon should contract service from Brampton to run an extension of existing routes into Valleywood (Highway 10 north of Mayfield) and the route 50 into Bolton. One or two circulator routes in Bolton would also be useful. But I wonder if Caledon would not go for it for the same reasons that Halton Hills (Georgetown) has resisted transit - the residents, many of which are former Brampton residents - just don't want it.

But if DRT and YRT can serve the rural municipalities of their regions, PRT could serve Caledon.

^ Only Keswick is served by YRT in Georgina, and it is much more strung out than compact Bolton or Georgetown, and the residents also have less money. However, Stouffville, Mount Albert, etc., all have routes that connect with bigger suburbs. I wonder if they wanted these routes or if YRT just added them.

But I wonder if Caledon would not go for it for the same reasons that Halton Hills (Georgetown) has resisted transit
Would it be possibly for a transit levy in just those areas (i.e., Bolton) as opposed to Caledon-wide?

I have some cousins in Bolton and it really doesn't look any different from most of Brampton. I'm sure there's a demand for transit (at least among students and seniors).

Eventually, as each region has its transit body, the GTTA should be a pan-regional transit authority that supercedes these all. We need to stop compartmentalizing transit!

Unfortunately bad habits die hard. The GTTA is a good start, but I can see it taking a decade or two before regions stop engaging in political nonsense and actually view transit on a much larger scale.

I would tend to see a logical arrangement being one where local services (buses that spend hours winding through suburban cul-de-sacs and subdivisions and terminate at malls) are micro managed by each municipality. Once routes start becoming inter-municipal however, then larger, regional bodies should start taking over. Who knows, maybe it would make a lot of sense if TTC buses where sent out further into the nether regions of 905. Maybe a bus could start in Brampton, end in Mississauga and both cities would find positive gains in such an arrangement.

Really, anything that can help depoliticize transit and allows it to viewed on a regional scale is good at this point in time.

I would tend to see a logical arrangement being one where local services (buses that spend hours winding through suburban cul-de-sacs and subdivisions and terminate at malls) are micro managed by each municipality. Once routes start becoming inter-municipal however, then larger, regional bodies should start taking over. Who knows, maybe it would make a lot of sense if TTC buses where sent out further into the nether regions of 905. Maybe a bus could start in Brampton, end in Mississauga and both cities would find positive gains in such an arrangement.

Thats funny :lol as I just stated this at Brampton PIC Wednesday night where all north-south routes should be service by either BT or MT who every can offer the best service or by both for Peel.

There are a few east-west that can be done the same as MT-BT-YRT-TTC.

Dundas would be service 100% by MT from Islington to Burlington.

Steeles W from Shoppers World to Finch station/ Markham Rd could be service by both BT and TTC and be allow to pickup and drop off for YRT.

Burnhamthorpe Rd would be service 100% by MT as MT has better service than TTC.

Airport Rd would be service 100% by TTC as TTC has better service than MT.

The list can go on for the north and the east, but all cross board routes should be seamless. The current GTTA is not being setup that way now. Hopeful in 10 years.

Cul-de-sacs and subdivisions by local systems.

Back