News   Apr 24, 2024
 921     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

GTTA Legislation Introduced

Re: Battle Lines Already Being Drawn

Its true, it might not fly, with elections in November things could change and new elected might object to th GTAA. We'll see I guess.

Article

Province rolls out new transit plan
Regional agency to get broad powers, but Tory says it's just more bureaucracy

JEFF GRAY

Pledging to make taking public transit as easy as it is to drive, Ontario Transportation Minister Harinder Takhar unveiled the government's long-promised blueprint for a new regional transportation agency yesterday.

The Greater Toronto Transportation Authority, the minister said, is to run GO Transit, implement an already announced smart-card transit fare system across the GTA and Hamilton, co-ordinate planning and capital spending for public transit and regional roads, purchase vehicles, and make it easier to take public transit across municipal boundaries.

"Many of us live and work in different places. And we all want to spend less time commuting. GTTA will make it easy, or as easy, to [use] public transit, as it is to take or drive the car," Mr. Takhar said at a news conference at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. He was flanked by GTA mayors and transit officials, with nine buses from different transit agencies lined up behind him.

Legislation to create the new agency, introduced yesterday afternoon, could see it up and running by September. But it was unclear what real effect the new body would have on the average commuter in the short term, or how it would reconcile the needs of the massive Toronto Transit Commission with those of much smaller transit agencies in the outer suburbs.

During Question Period in the legislature, Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory attacked the plans as just another layer of bureaucracy, saying the proposed legislation lacks teeth and is full of words like co-ordinate and plan.

"There's absolutely no powers in there, no language to get anything done," he said.

The GTTA, which is to have a planning staff and the ability to borrow money, would be run by an 11-member board. Four would be appointed by the City of Toronto, which represents more than 80 per cent of the public-transit ridership in the GTA, and one each from the other participating municipalities -- York, Peel, Durham and Halton regions, and Hamilton -- as well two members from the province.

Mayor David Miller, who did not attend the news conference, said yesterday Toronto's share of the board's power is close to what the city asked for, and praised the move to allow the city to appoint its own representatives.

But he poured cold water on visions from Mr. Takhar that the GTTA would quickly remove the boundaries to integrating public transit systems, such as removing the restrictions that keep regional transit systems from both picking up and dropping off passengers within Toronto's boundaries.

(Currently, buses from transit agencies outside Toronto, which run routes to, say, TTC stations, cannot pick up passengers bound for destinations within Toronto.)

"There are a number of obstacles to that kind of thing, including legislation and collective agreements. . . . That's not going to happen immediately. It's just not practically possible," Mr. Miller said.

Glen Grunwald, the president of the Toronto Board of Trade, which has long pushed for a regional transportation body, said the announcement is a good first step but criticized the makeup of the board of directors.

"We're a little concerned that it might be too politicized," Mr. Grunwald said.

He added that he would have preferred a board with fewer political appointees and more experts or representatives from the private sector.

Pulling together

The Greater Toronto Transit Authority will oversee planning and investment across nine different operations with about 4,500 vehicles and rail cars.

Toronto Transit Commission

1,491 buses, 248 streetcars, 678 subway cars, 28 RT cars

GO Transit

288 buses, 385 bi-level rail cars

Mississauga Transit

375 buses

York Region Transit

268 buses, 85 Viva rapid-transit buses

Hamilton Street Railway Company 204 buses

Brampton Transit

193 buses

Durham Regional Transit

147 buses

Oakville Transit

67 buses

SOURCE: LOCAL TRANSIT AUTHORITIES

I'm a little wary of the fact that the TTC would have a minority of the power in the GTTA, outnumbered on the board by the suburban Transit systems and their priorities.

I'd imagine that the one fare for all of GTA would also give you the option of a separate card just for Toronto. There'd be uproar if a more expensive card is needed to do my regular 3 km commute.

A GTTA advisory committee will be struck, with 11 members from municipalities across the GTA sitting on the board. Peel Region will have one representative and McCallion believes that person should be from Mississauga

"Since (Mississauga Transit) is the third largest transit system in Ontario, it would be unusual if the representative wasn't from Mississauga," said McCallion.
Exactly why this thing won't work. If we can't even decide upon whether Mississauga or Brampton gets the seat, imagine how much harder it will be to decide how the money and service will be allocated. If boundaries are supposed to be meaningless for commuters, then make the 11 member board reflective of that. Put transportation and planning experts in charge of the GTTA, and get short sighted politicians out of there.

I'm a little wary of the fact that the TTC would have a minority of the power in the GTTA, outnumbered on the board by the suburban Transit systems and their priorities.

This is exactly why I say the TTC should become the GTTA. If they approve a subway in Toronto, then each region will want to be next in line for something, regardless if they are a priority or not. Screw the board, the organization should be autonomous of political strings and have wide ranging transit power to get things done, and get it done right. I nominate Are Be to lead things.

Its true, it might not fly, with elections in November things could change and new elected might object to th GTAA. We'll see I guess.
They "may" not like it, but being provincial legislation, they will have to abide by it.

On another note, any idea where the GTAA will have its office? Perhaps in the same buildig as GO on Bay St?

It's a start. The fare card will be good, but more responsibility (and funds) will be better.

But even the optimism of Day 1 was tempered with the seeds of a turf war. The province and some of the municipalities hailed the coming of a day when a Mississauga or York Region bus could pick up passengers in Toronto, and drop them off in Toronto, en route to the subway — something that is prohibited now.

TTC chairman Howard Moscoe said that day won't come. "While the minister may want to do that, it isn't going to happen," said Moscoe, citing collective bargaining agreements as one reason why.

What BS. Considering that York and Brampton can jointly operate route 77 and Mississauga allows people to use Brampton tickets and passes on the 19, there is no reason why similar arrangments can't be made with the TTC.

What BS. Considering that York and Brampton can jointly operate route 77 and Mississauga allows people to use Brampton tickets and passes on the 19, there is no reason why similar arrangments can't be made with the TTC.

MT and BT passes are allowed when connecting buses - at Shoppers where the 19 meets, Sheridan where the 66 meets, or any other acceptable transfer point, like along BT 7, or Westwood Mall, etc, - to or from each other, but I don't think the other's tickets are accepted.

All you'd have to do in the case of Burnhamthorpe is have MT run most of the buses, then run a few TTC buses interchanged, say along the busiest section east of Square One. That's how the 77 works - they share buses and drivers along a common route- the typical passenger doesn't know if the next bus is a BT or YRT. That gets around any collective bargaining issues, for which I agree is BS.

My knowledge of unions is about as lacking as my respect for them. :b But is it possible, that once each respective transit system's contract ends, the union can be transferred over to the GTTA? As much as possible has to be done to eliminate turf wars.

My knowledge of unions is about as lacking as my respect for them. But is it possible, that once each respective transit system's contract ends, the union can be transferred over to the GTTA? As much as possible has to be done to eliminate turf wars.
It would be possible if the GTTA was their employer, but as the legislation stands, they are not. The local transit systems are "the company" and therefore the unions can't be amalgamated into one mega-local. Also, if I may actually be anti-union for a second and suggest the following...do we really want all transit workers in the G.T.A. in the same ATU local with their contract expring on exactly the same day?

MT and BT passes are allowed when connecting buses - at Shoppers where the 19 meets, Sheridan where the 66 meets, or any other acceptable transfer point, like along BT 7, or Westwood Mall, etc, - to or from each other, but I don't think the other's tickets are accepted.

You are referring to transfer slips though. This is a normal arrangement between 905 systems. I am talking about the special arrangement that Brampton has with MT, where Brampton Transit tickets and passes (not just transfer slips) can be used anywhere along the 19 (and the 202 too, I think), even at Port Credit. This is why so many people in south Brampton use the 19 (and the 202) to get to Shopper's World instead of Brampton's route 2.

If Mississauga buses can pick up people in Brampton en route to Shoppers World, they should be able to pick up people in Toronto en route to the subway. People living along Bloor and Burnhamthorpe in Etobicoke would benefit a lot from a similar arrangement, especially considering that MT provides much better service than the TTC does along these streets.

I am talking passes. Each will recognize each other's passes at transfer points (instead of needing a transfer), but I never knew the 19/202 accepts BT passes along the entire route. That's neat.

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...8350116795

Many questions surround new transit agency
Apr. 26, 2006. 01:00 AM
IAN URQUHART

Follow the money. That's usually good advice for anyone seeking to understand what lies behind a government initiative, and it is certainly true of the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority.

The long-awaited GTTA — a Liberal election promise — was finally launched on Monday with great fanfare by Transportation Minister Harinder Takhar.

Flanked by mayors and regional chairs from across the Greater Toronto Area, Takhar said that current trends will add another 2 million vehicles to the roads in the already gridlocked region and commuting times will increase fourfold, unless corrective action is taken.

"GTTA will bring the province together with municipalities to develop a seamless and integrated transportation plan for road, rail and transit," he declared.

But when the bill to create the GTTA was tabled in the Legislature later in the day, it was unclear what, if any, sources of revenue the GTTA will have to upgrade and expand the roads and transit lines in the region.

The bill directs the GTTA "to provide leadership in the co-ordination, planning, financing and development" of transportation routes in the region "to act as the central procurement agency" for the purchase of transit vehicles and equipment.

But where will the money come from? The bill gives the GTTA no authority to raise taxes.

It will have authorization to borrow money, but sooner or later loans have to be repaid.

"We're concerned by the lack of strong financial tools that will provide sustainable revenue," said Glen Grunwald, president of the Toronto Board of Trade, which has long called for creation of a regional transportation authority.

"The authority will need sufficient funds to tackle major projects and create partnerships. The last thing we want to end up with is a great car that doesn't have enough gas in the tank."

Instead, the government appears to have decided to leave the money for transit expansion with the operating authorities in the Greater Toronto Area, including the TTC, while the GTTA will make recommendations on how it is to be spent.

If so, whose view will prevail if there is a disagreement?

What if, for example, the GTTA decides to replace the deteriorating Scarborough RT line with a subway but the TTC prefers less costly streetcars?

I put these questions to Takhar and he suggested the GTTA would use its persuasive powers to convince the TTC that one option was better than the other.

But Takhar also hinted that the GTTA might eventually get access to the federal gasoline tax revenue that is flowing to municipalities in the Greater Toronto Area — about $800 million over five years.

However, the province will need permission from the municipalities to get its hands on those funds.

If all this makes the GTTA sound like a work in progress, it is. Essentially, the government has decided to create the framework for a regional transportation authority and worry about the details later.

Initially, a much more ambitious mandate was considered for the GTTA, including uploading the TTC and other local transit agencies to the regional authority to operate.

But this idea encountered stiff local opposition, and in the end the government opted for a more minimalist approach.

"We needed to walk before we run," explained Takhar.

That suggests the GTTA could gain power as it becomes more established, which makes turf-conscious local politicians wary.

"I'm going to sit back and see what evolves out of this," said TTC Chair Howard Moscoe. That is, he will be following the money.

A footnote: Much of the wrangling over the GTTA prior to this week's unveiling was over the composition of the board that will manage the authority. Toronto, which accounts for most of the transit riders, wanted a majority on the board.

The 905 municipalities, including Hamilton, which combined have a greater population than Toronto, were not willing to cede majority control. And the corporate community wanted business leaders, not politicians, on the board.

In the end, the government required them all to take a little water with their wine. Toronto City Council will appoint four of the 11 board members; the 905 municipalities, five; and the province, two. Takhar said the provincial appointees will be from the business community.

---------------------------------------------------------

...he suggested the GTTA would use its persuasive powers to convince the TTC that one option was better than the other.

Oh yeah, that'll work. :\

That suggests the GTTA could gain power as it becomes more established, which makes turf-conscious local politicians wary.

Hmmm, interesting. So if the GTTA can prove itself it might eventually have more power over the transit authorities...

Back