News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 932     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

Isn't AMA on this site. She should be giving a real answer why TTC was excluded.
the real reason is that it's too expensive. The amount of GO-TTC transfers is far higher than all the 905 agencies combined, and it doesn't have any existing discount so each individual transfer would cost a full $3.20 to eliminate the transfer vs. $0.75-$1 to eliminate it above existing subsidies for 905 agencies.

Plus GO doesn't struggle with full parking lots at 416 stations as much as most don't have parking already, and this new fare policy will really help with modal splits for accessing 905 stations.

Then the cynical side could say that the 416 isn't as likely to vote PC..

the real reason is that it's too expensive. The amount of GO-TTC transfers is far higher than all the 905 agencies combined, and it doesn't have any existing discount so each individual transfer would cost a full $3.20 to eliminate the transfer vs. $0.75-$1 to eliminate it above existing subsidies for 905 agencies.

Plus GO doesn't struggle with full parking lots at 416 stations as much as most don't have parking already, and this new fare policy will really help with modal splits for accessing 905 stations.

The cost is an excuse - remember a half-price discount was piloted before (paid for entirely by the province) and it wasn't eyewateringly expensive (and please, this is nothing compared to waiving - retroactively - the license renewal fee). I am afraid cynicism is the only real reason here - especially for a decision that is announced 3 months before an election.

Isn't AMA on this site. She should be giving a real answer why TTC was excluded.

Hahaha - it would be like talking to a room of mirrors.

AoD

Last edited:

For sure money. I just want a semi-official response for that. Secondary I could say fear of overloading the system, though we did have the previous fare agreement. Tertiary, maaybe, is fear of attracting too many undesirables. If a deranged foul aroma person hogs four seats, it detracts from quality of service then results in added policing costs.

I noticed that fares on shorter trips have been reduced so now the price from Scar to Union is $3.70 as opposed to $3.10 for the TTC. Perhaps they are working out a deal where such a fare would be the same. Still, this reduction especially with no transfer fees will REALLY help make the system appealing as a true regional express rail. It's a great start.

When reading further, I noticed that London Transit riders are not included in the fare integration. It wouldn't really effect anybody because no one takes the damn thing anyway. No one who takes transit can take the GO anyway because the train leaves BEFORE London Transit starts operating. Still a real slap in the face for Londoners but I guess that is unsurprising because so is the service.

3 guesses on which GO city didn't send a single PC MP to QP.

When reading further, I noticed that London Transit riders are not included in the fare integration. It wouldn't really effect anybody because no one takes the damn thing anyway. No one who takes transit can take the GO anyway because the train leaves BEFORE London Transit starts operating. Still a real slap in the face for Londoners but I guess that is unsurprising because so is the service.
You say that, meanwhile last week they had to shutdown the tracks between St. Mary's and London, so they prepped a shuttle bus between those 2 stations. There were 106 passengers that had to be shuttled. "No one takes the damn thing" you say?

Markville Mall -> Richmond Hill Centre

VIVA Purple - $3.88

VIVA Purple + GO Transit transfer at Unionville GO - $3.70

The free co-fare starting at March 14th, 2022 ***encourages*** you to transfer to GO Transit when riding YRT.
It’s even more ridiculous when you look at the student fares. $2.64 for GO vs $3.03 for YRT. Not to mention the 3 hour transfer window that GO has so you could literally, for example head to Markville, shop until the time is almost up on the transfer, then tap on a Viva Purple bus to get back to RHC and get a free YRT transfer for 2 hours. I wouldn’t be surprised if YRT’s ridership goes down a little after this.

So if I get this right {and I'm probably not} from here on in all you do is pay the GO fare except for Toronto? If so it makes calculating your fare a lot easier than what it does now which for some journeys requires a math degree,

Should we quote you on that?
On second thought, that's actually a strong possibility given the upcoming fuel cost spikes. What we might see happen is running busses becomes far more expensive which will lead to transit agencies massively raising prices, which makes the government a lot more uncomfortable subsidizing transfers. Its a crazy world we live in.

^ Conversely, as the system electrifies, it may make QP more inclined to get people onto GO as opposed to taking their buses for longer distance trips.

^ Conversely, as the system electrifies, it may make QP more inclined to get people onto GO as opposed to taking their buses for longer distance trips.
And less need for building new highways, or widening existing highways. Also provides alternatives to the use of petroleum fuels.

I noticed that fares on shorter trips have been reduced so now the price from Scar to Union is $3.70 as opposed to $3.10 for the TTC. Perhaps they are working out a deal where such a fare would be the same. Still, this reduction especially with no transfer fees will REALLY help make the system appealing as a true regional express rail. It's a great start.
For seniors, some intra-Toronto GO trips are already cheaper than TTC ones. Example, going from Finch (or anywhere NYCC) to Scarborough Centre. Even for adult fare, it's 50 cents more on GO, but you'd get a more pleasant ride.

Back