News   Jun 26, 2024
 132     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

That was the power supply for the machines. Metrolinx still has to finish the new faregates, which is what I hear is the issue.

King has higher ridership than St. Andrews, and is about the same walk from Union station, and has no Presto. Metrolinx chose the original stations based on which ones riders transferring to other agencies used most. The assumption, I assume, is most of those near St. Andrews and King walk to Union.

Sure.....but my point is...if there was planning and forthought, someone might have said "you know during that whole constuction phase of Union there are going to be many weekends when we tell people coming south to get off at St Andrews when they are going to SkyDome, RTH, a play, etc to get off at St. Andrews....since they may be suburbanites they may have Presto and they may want to use it on their way home too."

Like I said, museum to me is a bigger oversight from first phase, and we can probably make cases for a bunch of other stations ....but it doesn't change the fact that a fairly significant time has passed and not one single new installation has occurred.

Sure.....but my point is...if there was planning and forthought, someone might have said "you know during that whole constuction phase of Union there are going to be many weekends when we tell people coming south to get off at St Andrews when they are going to SkyDome, RTH, a play, etc to get off at St. Andrews....since they may be suburbanites they may have Presto and they may want to use it on their way home too."
Metrolinx's concerns is daily commuters. The cuts are only weekends.

Like I said, museum to me is a bigger oversight from first phase, and we can probably make cases for a bunch of other stations ....but it doesn't change the fact that a fairly significant time has passed and not one single new installation has occurred.
Which is likely why TTC has been publicly attacking Metrolinx for failing to deliver on time.

According to that link you posted, it's St Andrew not St. Andrew.

They're a bit inconsistent. The original and previous tiles/panels at St. Andrew had periods but the latest panels don't. St. George and St. Patrick have Periods but St. Clair (which has more recent tiles) doesn't. The trend seems to be to drop the periods. Looks more British than Canadian to me.

Spadina was supposed to get it with the advent of the new streetcars, but that's come and gone, and no Presto there either.
I'm not even sure what they did...they had all the turnstiles torn up and since replaced...but no Presto.

Heck, when was the last time they added Presto to any station at all.
It's not even on the new streetcars yet. I mean, I went to Metrolinx's testing panel at the start of June and it worked fine...They've only got two new streetcars running...so what happened?

Last edited:
Nice to see the province focus on fare integration across the GTHA
One of the deliverables in the Metrolinx Five Year Strategic Plan presented earlier this month - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd..._Year_Strategic_Plan_2013-2018_EN.pdf#page=16 was:

3b. Work with municipalities to advance a fare integration plan by 2016 with proposals to make the GTHA fare system more customer friendly and regionally seamless, such as:
  • Fare integration between GO Transit and the TTC.
  • Fare integration between the TTC and neighbouring local transit systems.
  • Greater consistency in fare policies across various GTHA transit agencies to reduce complexity for the customer.
3c. Evaluate new GO Transit fare structures by 2016, to align with potential regional fare integration, encourage efficient use of existing and new service capacity for midday and weekend travel, and optimize fare revenue.

3d. Continue research, modeling and planning work to lay the foundation to potentially unbundle the cost of parking at GO Transit parking facilities from fares.​

So there's hope.

Spadina was supposed to get it with the advent of the new streetcars, but that's come and gone, and no Presto there either.
I'm not even sure what they did...they had all the turnstiles torn up and since replaced...but no Presto.

Heck, when was the last time they added Presto to any station at all.
It's not even on the new streetcars yet. I mean, I went to Metrolinx's testing panel at the start of June and it worked fine...They've only got two new streetcars running...so what happened?
TTC announced months ago that they wouldn't start implemeting Presto wouldn't be implemented until November. Should appear at Spadina station then.

Quite possibly ... I suppose Kennedy, Kipling, and Oriole are also possibilities. Though clearly Danforth, which surely includes Exhibition as well.

both Danforth and Exhibition are specifically mentioned in the article linked....just not sure why they would leave out the others.

both Danforth and Exhibition are specifically mentioned in the article linked....just not sure why they would leave out the others.
Because it's only a trial?

I don't know ... I'm just pulling it out of my imagination. From what I hear, the Milton trains at Kipling are much more crowded than those on Lakeshore. And with 30-minute full-day service and express trains, there's a lot more capacity on Lakeshore, than the other lines.

Let's just see what they say tomorrow.

Last edited:
Because it's only a trial?

I don't know ... I'm just pulling it out of my imagination. From what I hear, the Milton trains at Bloor are much more crowded than those on Lakeshore. And with 30-minute full-day service and express trains, there's a lot more capacity on Lakeshore, than the other lines.

Let's just see what they say tomorrow.

Yeah we are just discussing.....but it would not surprise me if it is just the Lakeshore trains....GO seems to forget some times (or at least the Ministry of Transportation does) that there are other lines.

The Milton trains don't stop at Bloor ....KW trains do....and if it is true (as the article states) that people using Exhibition only have two trains between 8 and 9 a.m. perhaps the Bloor stop actually has similar utility as it has 3.

Back