News   Jun 17, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

The Milton trains don't stop at Bloor ....KW trains do....and if it is true (as the article states) that people using Exhibition only have two trains between 8 and 9 a.m. perhaps the Bloor stop actually has similar utility as it has 3.
Yeah, I was thinking Milton trains at Kipling ... brain fart. And the Stouffville trains I've got onto at Kennedy heading north have been suprisingly packed compared to Lakeshore trains.

Sure, the choices aren't any more - but a lot of trains go express through Danforth and Exhibition - I'm not sure the locals are quite as crowded. Hmm, there's only 2 trains from Danforth between 8 and 9 AM. But there's 3 between 7 AM and 8 AM. And 4 home between 4:30 and 5:35.

Baby steps ...

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking Milton trains at Kipling ... brain fart. And the Stouffville trains I've got onto at Kennedy heading north have been suprisingly packed compared to Lakeshore trains.

Sure, the choices aren't any more - but a lot of trains go express through Danforth and Exhibition - I'm not sure the locals are quite as crowded. Hmm, there's only 2 trains from Danforth between 8 and 9 AM. But there's 3 between 7 AM and 8 AM. And 4 home between 4:30 and 5:35.

Baby steps ...

Baby steps indeed. Even the slightest bit of fare integration is a major, major step forward for these two agencies which traditionally stick their fingers in their ears and try to pretend the other doesn't exist.

I would hope that the other GO stations closest to Union (like Kennedy, Bloor, Kipling, Oriole) would get the same treatment at the same time as Danforth and Exhibition, but if it's just a trial I wouldn't hold my breath. As stated above, GO is pretty Lakeshore-centric. Nevertheless, the same pressures on the agency to extend the trial to the other stations may also help further the cause of getting more trains to said other stations - particularly when this program begins to prove popular, as undoubtedly it will.

Total garbage, if the Globe and Mail has the story correct.

So for $60 more a month, on top of the TTC fare, you can ride GO trains between Exhibition, Union, and Danforth, and only those stations. Even in peak times, the trains aren't any more frequent than every 30 minutes, as express trains don't stop at those stations.

I could see a few dozen Liberty Village residents taking advantage. It's a short ride to stand on a GO train, and residents there are likely to take the TTC elsewhere off-peak. But who in the right mind would pay $60 a month more to get off the subway at Main Street, walk outside for 5-10 minutes to get a GO train that runs every 30 minutes? Why not stay on the subway and save $60 a month?

This isn't worth the media coverage it's going to receive tomorrow.

^ I completely understand where you are coming from.

I don't think many will take it as for such a short distance it's a lot of money especially because the service at every 30 minutes is poor. If you just miss your trains it will be faster just to take the subway or streetcar.

This is Toronto and baby steps in transit improvements are all that is ever delivered but I think this is a bigger one than it appears. This arrangement means that the TTC and GO actually acknowledged each other's existence which by itself is miraculous. The really big deal here is not this particular service but rather that it represents a huge difference in the thinking of Metrolinx.........that GO should be a useful transit option for people in the city and not just in the 905 or far off city regions like Rouge Hill.

Clearly Metrolinx is starting to realize that GO can be used as a transit service for Torontonians and can act as a DRL until one eventually gets built. This may be an "experiment" but it's really just the beginning. As frequency increases so will ridership and stations and even better fare integration.

This actual service will mean basically squat but it represents a monumental shift in how Metrolinx views GO as more than just a 905 commuter service. There will be calls for more of this type of integration from Bloor/Weston/Kennedy etc which will ultimately result in an entirely new fare system for TTC/GO. This is just the beginning and Metrolinx knows it as they know this will open the flood gates of every part of the city wanting a similar type deal and service. They know that once you offer a new service it's almost impossible to take back especially when the politicians start hearing from their constituents {like Weston} that they want the same treatment.

Baby steps like this integration are how I see projects like RER and SmartTrack being built. Roll out of key prerequisites like this before any building begins.

Bullshit, no Mimico yet again - Grimes is a loser councillor.

However, for $60 extra a month they can take their integration and shove it up their ***.

But who in the right mind would pay $60 a month more to get off the subway at Main Street, walk outside for 5-10 minutes to get a GO train that runs every 30 minutes? Why not stay on the subway and save $60 a month?
I'd have thought it was more likely those who are taking a bus or streetcar past the station. I can't imagine it will attract many people off the subway.

It might work better for the reverse direction though, where you can just walk to Union Station, and not worry about catching a GO Train or not. And at $60, it pays off in 12 trips.

It might also work for people who walk to Danforth station, and then take the streetcar or subway from Union Station - ore maybe even those who travel from Danforth to Exhibition.

I'd have thought it was more likely those who are taking a bus or streetcar past the station. I can't imagine it will attract many people off the subway.
There isn't even a bus/streetcar stop near Danforth GO Station.

It's a $60 sticker for Metropass to upgrade it to a TTC+GO pass for downtown Lakeshore GOtrain stations (Exhibition, Union, Danforth).

This will be great for Liberty village residents -- 65% cost savings over today for a daily commuter. It maths out to an average of $1.50 per GOTrain ride if doing 10 commuter roundtrips per week involving the covered GO stations. Good interim step before SmartTrack.

Not going to be useful to everyone, but many baby steps will be needed to turn GO from a 905 commuter into something very useful for 416 transit.

Last edited:
If only the trains actually stopped at Danforth and Exhibition...
During peak period, several trains that passes by is an express train.
Wait for the next train.
Every 30 minutes, a GOTrain now always stop at Danforth or Exhbition.

The route is already upgraded to Lakeshore 30-minute service even on holidays and Sundays, at both Exhibition and Danforth. They run it 30 minutes all day to around midnight at those stations everyday, 7 day a week. And a bit more frequent, during peak, roughly every ~20 mins mins (between the express trains whooshing by).

Lots still aren't aware of the Lakeshore 30-minute service.

Last edited:

Back