News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

Interesting. I should of thought of that. If the 742 number is right for Long Branch, assuming the 50% growth, the 2031 ridership should be approx 1113 riders

I looked at Mimico and it seems OK. Mimico should have ~616 2011 total riders with 240 arriving by car at 174 spots that are 101% utilized. Seems plausible, if some cars have 1+ people in them.
There's some serious rounding. I'm starting to be convinced that the 100 was a typo and should have said 1,100.

The reality is that GO rail ridership is extremely poor compared to it's world contemporaries.

GO rail actually has one of the largest commuter rail systems in the world, far larger than most at 440km. This is backed up by very larger downtown employment which should greatly enhance ridership but it doesn't do much. The reasons are twofold.......excessively high fares and the fact that's it's useless for most people in the city due to lack of fare integration.

If GO is to become a real alternative for all Torontonians as opposed to those with extra cash lying around it will have to transform itself from the commuter style system it is today to a U-Bahn/Berlin or suburban rail/Sydney-Melbourne transit system. That means a frequent system that is accessible to everyone and not just those who can afford extra fares.

18j4z9yh6q0z.jpg

As you never tire of telling us, the commuter rail system in your city has full fare integration baked into its fares, making it not just a plaything of the 1% who must defer their yacht payments to ride the GO each morning, but real public transit "accessible" to the poor and downtrodden. Surely that would mean looking at its 7 suburban feeder stations, the average daily riders at each (~1500) would be something the idiots of Toronto should aim to emulate.

Oh wait, no, every single GO line beats that.

Attachments

• 18j4z9yh6q0z.jpg
    18j4z9yh6q0z.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 817
In Brampton, children 6-12 have to pay $2.50 (e-purse/PRESTO). If the TTC will have children under 12 ride free, the kids will still need a PRESTO to use GO. Would PRESTO deduct zero for children under 12 when riding the TTC?

Would PRESTO deduct zero for children under 12 when riding the TTC?
Depends how they program it. It's currently doing 60¢.

But why would you ever tap on a TTC machine if you had child under 13?

With a 2-year old, I pay my ticket on TTC, and then simply don't do anything on MiWay or GO.

Will we? How many years since Go Transit released ridership data for individual stations. I hope we will ...

I meant that we'd know how many people bought GO stickers for a Metropass.

Then there wouldn't be people constantly arriving at Danforth GO station in PM rush from Union. They'd be on the subway instead.

The cost difference of getting the GO sticker is $60 ... $51 after the tax credit. It pays for itself with 10 trips - 5 round trips. None of these people using Danforth station are making more than 5 round trips a month? Good grief, I do that some months just heading to Exhibition to go to soccer games, combined with the odd random trip to/from Union ... but I don't get the tax credit for these occasional trips using Presto.

The people arriving at Danforth are clearly not low-income. Cash-strapped people will never (not even one time per month) take the GO train, since they could get downtown much cheaper on the subway (free with a Metropass). Again, I'm talking about the people living in my building here.

The reality is that GO rail ridership is extremely poor compared to it's world contemporaries.

Right. Because if there's one problem with GO trains, it's that they are not well-used.

Here's how GO lines stack up with the other commuter rail lines on this continent, including a certain miserly line in British Columbia. You'll note that GO lines have disproportionately high ridership.

Link to Google Spreadsheet

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I meant too. GO is pretty secretive. Though I finally rememebred where I'd seen recent data (that I linked above).

Hmm. Well, fingers crossed anyway.

I guess we'll only know if it goes well, in which case they'd want to tell people.

I know WCE has pathetic ridership, I never said it didn't.

If you will note I said WORLD contemporaries. Saying it has good ridership compared to US systems isn't saying much. Anybody can look good compared to the lowest common denominator. When you compared GO to other commuter/suburban systems in Europe the numbers are shockingly low. Even compared to Australian cities they are poor although Syd/Mel don't have subway systems.

My point is that Toronto's commuter rail system is quite large. It's the one area where Toronto hasn't lost ground and Metrolinx is doing an excellent and forward thinking effort of buying up the tracks so they are not at the whim of freight. Certainly the future of GO rail is very bright and will lead the charge in Toronto ridership for decades.

In many ways, subways/metros are yesterday's news. There will always be extensions and new line but the reality is that in the Western world they making increasingly less sense due to high land values and very high labour costs. They will always be needed but I feel they are a system of diminishing returns especially when tunnelled. One a per km basis, very few routes can justify the extreme costs of tunnelled subway. For the 10 km of tunnelled subway you could build 3X that amount of rapid transit LRT or up to 10X as much in commuter/suburban rail depending if the infrastructure is already there serving hundreds of more destinations and hundred of thousands if not millions of more people.

Due to GO being already a large system and Toronto having a very high downtown employment level, GO can be a real option for Torontonians and it's ridership could equal that of the subway within 20 years but only if the fares are interchangeable with the local systems.

Wow. That's it?! It seems like so little has been done on fare integration over such a long time. I can't see any "transformational" fare integration happening without a greater fare subsidy from the government. No one has addressed this, and the governments have not financially committed.

It could be done on a revenue-neutral basis, but long distance commuters will end up paying more since the only options aside from a flat fare or fare by mode (which is not going to happen for various reasons) are fare by distance and fare by zone. The only people who may benefit from a true integration are those who pay a full double fare (such as MiWay+TTC or GO+TTC) but have a short trip on one or both of those systems - for example GO commuters who travel within a hypothetical downtown Toronto "zone 1" might end up paying less than a full TTC fare for the subway portion, while those travelling GO-like distances on the TTC will end up paying more.

CTV News did a video comparison of taking the GO versus the TTC from Liberty Village and Main/Danforth. Looks like they chose a bad day for GO, as its savings were miniscule due to delays.

That said, their methodology could have been sharper. Going from Liberty Village, it required the guy to walk from King and York to Union. Perhaps having the endpoint be at Wellington or even Front to make it more even.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...1&hootPostID=429919689bf59cb63e8e2c477f5a6fdc

CTV News did a video comparison of taking the GO versus the TTC from Liberty Village and Main/Danforth. Looks like they chose a bad day for GO, as its savings were miniscule due to delays.

That said, their methodology could have been sharper. Going from Liberty Village, it required the guy to walk from King and York to Union. Perhaps having the endpoint be at Wellington or even Front to make it more even.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...1&hootPostID=429919689bf59cb63e8e2c477f5a6fdc

I saw this on the news tonight. As a science and statistics guy, I have to say that the methodology of their "experiment" is pretty poor: they used a single trip in each direction, so their sample size is basically nothing. Like you said, it happened to be on a day when GO was delayed by quite a few minutes (which, as a daily GO rider, does happen, but not as often as one might think) and so the TTC came out closer to on-parity than it otherwise would have, given a proper number of trials. Of course, Anne Marie Aikins from Metrolinx was interviewed on that same segment noting the savings of up to ~15 min in each direction that could be expected given an on-time GO, but nobody will believe her after what they just saw.

I saw this on the news tonight. As a science and statistics guy, I have to say that the methodology of their "experiment" is pretty poor: they used a single trip in each direction, so their sample size is basically nothing. Like you said, it happened to be on a day when GO was delayed by quite a few minutes (which, as a daily GO rider, does happen, but not as often as one might think) and so the TTC came out closer to on-parity than it otherwise would have, given a proper number of trials. Of course, Anne Marie Aikins from Metrolinx was interviewed on that same segment noting the savings of up to ~15 min in each direction that could be expected given an on-time GO, but nobody will believe her after what they just saw.
Part of the assumption is that the 504 is stuck in traffic. But from what I've seen, and the lack of complaints recently, 504 has been moving better in rush-hour with the recent parking enforcement blitz. Which is going to make 504 look better, unless you work next to Union station and live right at Exhibition.

Fare integration update from Metrolinx

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...0150303_BoardMtg_GTHA_Fare_Integration_EN.pdf

Not too much in terms of concrete movement, but they are looking at options, with some amount of weighing the pros and cons:
Basic Regional Fare Structures
•Flat fares – one single fare across the region
•Fare by mode – different fares for different service levels
•Fare by distance – fares based on distance travelled,
•Fare by zone – simplified fare by distance

Most transit systems internationally use a combination or hybrid fare structure

Back