News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 949     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Greyhound: Apart from that, how was your experience today?

A crime the most severe and reprehensible imaginable should be punished with a penalty the most severe and brutal imaginable.

This has nothing to do with justice, and everything to do with revenge. If this is what you want, clearly without a trial, then let's not have a justice system at all and we will each take our retribution against each other for all crimes.

That is, you hit someone with your car by accident, their family holds you down in the middle of street and they run over you. No excuses, no "I didn't see her", no "she just jumped out at me", just hold you down and run you over until the family judges that your wounds are as great as the person you hit.

If you want to live this way, then move somewhere else where this is what passes for justice.

I'm yet to hear why we can't just deport the barbaric degenerates who want to kill prisoners.

Tell that to the family of the victim. You are against "killing prisoners" even when they had no qualms about killing themselves.

Hypocrisy anybody? By your ridiculous logic Canada was a "barbaric" country 50 years ago. Do you honestly believe that Canada was a barbaric country in the mid-20th c. It was not.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make them "barbaric". My viewpoint is no more barbaric than yours.

I have yet to hear why we can't deport the barbarians who would defend and feel sorry for these sick killers.

If this is what you want, clearly without a trial

I thought it was obvious that what I was calling for was for guilty people. I guess I should have made that more clear. But in this case no one can question who did it. After the other passengers fled there were only two people left on the bus. Nowhere did I state that I assumed everyone arrested for murder was guilty.

If you want to live this way, then move somewhere else where this is what passes for justice.

No. But if you want to move to another country, don't let me stop you.

Tell that to the family of the victim. You are against "killing prisoners" even when they had no qualms about killing themselves.
What does prisoners committing suicide have to do with anything?

Hypocrisy anybody? By your ridiculous logic Canada was a "barbaric" country 50 years ago. Do you honestly believe that Canada was a barbaric country in the mid-20th c. It was not.
Society has grown. We've all come to understand that capital punishment isn't right. In this particular case it appears to be mental illness.

One has to be a particularly twisted piece of shit to support the execution of children or insane. Not even the US does that!

Sorry, but you're wrong. Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make them "barbaric". My viewpoint is no more barbaric than yours.
Depends ... if they disagree with my choice of ice cream it doesn't make them barbaric. If they want to kill people simply to satisfy their own blood lust, then it does.

I thought it was obvious that what I was calling for was for guilty people. I guess I should have made that more clear. But in this case no one can question who did it. After the other passengers fled there were only two people left on the bus. Nowhere did I state that I assumed everyone arrested for murder was guilty.
Canada and the US have executed plenty of people who turned out to be innocent. We still have Canadians who are living who used to be on death row, who turned out to be innocent. In the US they still execute them. I 100% agree that this is not the case here. But we've long since proved that executing people does nothing to lower the murder rate. The US murder rate fell while capital punishement was halted. It remains lower in states that don't have it than many that do. It is far lower in Canada than the US. It fell dramatically in Canada after we ended capital punishment for murder in 1976 (see Figure 1 of attached). So we capital punishment isn't a deterrence. Heck it may even encourage murder - a variant of death by cop.

So why else would we execute people? We've eliminated as a general punishment because it doesn't reduce the murder rate, and it often gets the wrong person - making appeal somewhat difficult.

What's left - saving money (doubtful), or vengance. Either is barbaric.

And then there's the issue of executing someone who is clearly insane. Even the United States has barred that practice, as it is "cruel and unusual punishment"

No. But if you want to move to another country, don't let me stop you.
Why? Doesn't look like too many here agree with you. There doesn't seem to be much support among Canadians for it. I'm sure most wouldn't lose much sleep if the likes of Bernado or Olson were executed ... but after that it's a pretty slippery slope.

Society has grown. We've all come to understand that capital punishment isn't right.

Canadian society may have changed, but that doesn't mean it's "grown". Our society isn't necessarily better than others that still practice capital punishment.

To suggest that someone should be deported because their opinion doesn't jive with yours is stupid. If you don't believe in people with differing opinions expressing their opinions, than you belong in a communist country where speaking a dissenting opinion is not allowed and can even get you thrown in prison in some cases. Last I checked Canada is a free country. There is no justification for suggesting someone should be deported because you don't agree with them. If 60% of Canada agreed with capital punishment 60 years ago, should they have all been deported? Millions and millions of people should have been deported because they had an opinion that some don't like?

Canadian society may have changed, but that doesn't mean it's "grown". Our society isn't necessarily better than others that still practice capital punishment.
I'll give you that one.

To suggest that someone should be deported because their opinion doesn't jive with yours is stupid.
Of course it's stupid. That was the point:) Do you really think that I think that someone praticising freedom of speech should be deported?

You're entitled to your opinion, Just Chris... but I suggest you avoid making shit up if you want your opinion respected. No one has suggested Canada is utopia, no one has suggested that the killer has the mental capacity of a child, no one has suggested that a dangerous person, sane or not, should be allowed to freely walk the streets.

You said:

He deserves to have done to him what he did to the victim.

Sorry, your viewpoint is barbaric. Unspeakably so, in fact.

AoD

A question to those advocating for his rehabilitation and release. What would you do if he came and set up house next to you? Would you want this guy anywhere near your family?

Personally I would not want this guy anywhere near me. I don't think he should get the death sentence nor should ever be allowed to roam the streets freely again. Life in prison without parole would seem only fair to me.

Has anyone advocated his release? I'll advocate that he should be assessed before judgement is passed.

And I very much doubt he'll be on the streets again until he is far too old to carry out such a crime.

I'm betting $20 that this guy immigrated from China with many qualifications only to get his credentials stuck in red tape, forcing him to work at menial jobs (like delivering newspapers and flipping burgers at McDs) and eventually causing him to go berserk.

Perhaps it's time for airport type security checks when it comes to bus trips. A person should not be able to just carry a concealed weapon on board.

Perhaps it's time for airport type security checks when it comes to bus trips. A person should not be able to just carry a concealed weapon on board.

But how would you implement that in places like Actinolite, Ontario or Rouleau, Saskatchewan?

We also need airport style security checks at subway stations, bus stops, ferry terminals, train stations, every time people get into cars, and truck drivers.

It would be great for those who manufacture security devices.

Back