News   Jul 16, 2024
 341     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 453     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Greenbelt

I'm so fucking tired of the development industry whining whenever another piece of land gets restricted from building. Their incessant whining and political manipulation (along with the auto industry, let's not forget) is the reason why the term "local food" will soon be a meaningless term. We're using the best agricultural land in Canada to build more 5000 sq. foot houses for 3 people to live in.

Greenbelt 2.0

On the wrong side of the fence
'I just feel cheated.' A small landowner and the dilemma of the Greenbelt, which turns four today
February 28, 2009
PETER GORRIE
SPECIAL TO THE STAR
Tony Battaglia's land is little changed from four years ago, when a government edict brought his plans for it to a screeching stop.

The Toronto architect bought the 40 treed hectares near Peterborough in 1993, aiming to build a family cabin on one section, sell eight hectares for development, and save the rest for his three children.

He'd put up the cabin when, on Feb. 28, 2005, the provincial government created the Greenbelt – 720,000 hectares of land in an arc from Niagara to Port Hope that was to be protected from development and contain urban sprawl.

Since Battaglia's property was inside the preserve's eastern boundary, he wouldn't be able to develop it or sell pieces to others.

At the time, interviewed by the Star's Theresa Boyle, he was angry and philosophical. That, too, hasn't changed: "I'm still a little bit disturbed about the whole process. I'm waiting for acceptance," he says. The Greenbelt is "a very positive thing. I just feel cheated."

Property owned by big developers was excluded from the protection zone or swapped for land outside the boundary, while "the little guys got stuck," he says.

The issues in Battaglia's story are crucial to the future of the Greenbelt as it marks its fourth anniversary today.

Those like him whose land is inside the "green" fence might continue to grumble and, as some neighbours are doing, post signs telling the government to "back off." But the Greenbelt appears to have become a permanent, almost iconic fixture of Southern Ontario's landscape. It has widespread public support, or at least acquiescence; both opposition parties at Queen's Park say they wouldn't challenge the law that created it.

It has preserved farmland, natural areas and water sources inside its boundaries and altered attitudes toward farming and development outside. Still, it isn't secure, and attempts to strengthen it could undermine the consensus on which it's built.

Development is eroding the Greenbelt from within. The province is doing some of the damage through construction of expressways, water and sewer pipes, and hydro transmission corridors; it's also letting private projects proceed. In addition, advocates say, the world's largest Greenbelt must be expanded, mainly because construction and paving is simply leapfrogging beyond its outer boundary, particularly into Simcoe County to the north and around Brantford and Waterloo to the west.

The province last summer announced it would consider enlarging the Greenbelt if municipal or regional governments apply for parcels to be added. That hasn't happened, but a few proposals are being discussed. A group of 100 local mayors and councillors is calling for expansion. And the 80 advocacy groups that comprise the Ontario Greenbelt Alliance this week proposed major extensions in all directions.

The leapfrogging, especially in Simcoe County, is a major reason why, in its annual Greenbelt report card next month, the Alliance will award a grade that "won't be as rosy" as the B or B+ of previous years, says Alliance spokesperson Rick Smith, who heads Environmental Defence, an Alliance member.

"We're watching with extreme concern ... the timidity with which the province has been approaching planning" in the county, and backing away from opposition to developments at odds with its own growth strategy, Smith says.

"We need a green coat, not a greenbelt," says Burkhard Mausberg, president of Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation, which supports groups working to enhance the zone.

But developers and farmers promise strong opposition to extending the boundaries.

"We're totally supportive" of the Greenbelt, says Stephen Dupuis, president and CEO of the Building Industry and Land Development Association. "Expansion is a different story."

Our members are "overwhelmingly" against expansion, says Wendy Omvlee, of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture.

It's uncertain the government would take them on. "We won't shy away from tough decisions, but we're anxious to hear from our municipal partners," says Jim Watson, the minister of municipal affairs and housing.

Waterloo Region is considering the addition of 30,000 hectares of wetland, forest and farms. Oakville has 400 hectares in mind. Much of these, and the other prime expansion candidates, are publicly owned.

Municipalities won't likely propose properties controlled by developers. That includes most of southern Simcoe County and the strip just below the Greenbelt's southern boundary, which is set aside for future development. Advocates say this "white belt" has twice the land required to meet projections for growth.

If within two or three years, municipalities don't ask for some of this to be added to the Greenbelt, the province should do it, the groups say.

That won't happen, says Watson, particularly in Simcoe where, "We did set out the criteria (that) the request (for expansion) had to come from the county." The province will assess the situation at the Greenbelt's scheduled 10-year review in 2015.

Advocates say many farmers have softened their opposition because the Greenbelt has helped the move toward local food, which increases their income.

A big surprise, Mausberg says, is "how the farming community has turned around; how much they've embraced it and tried to work within it."

Omvlee has a gloomier take: Farmers within the Greenbelt can no longer sell their property to finance their retirement, she says. "You can only be frustrated and angry for so long. If your health means anything to you, you find a way to make it work."

They'd be more supportive if they got annual payments for protecting natural areas or, as in the United States, compensation for losing development rights.

Supporters also say the Greenbelt has made the public more receptive to higher density development, although the speed of suburban sprawl beyond the protected zone suggests it remains a tough sell.

Mausberg says we're missing an important option, between single-family detached homes and high-rises. "Why can't the GTA become the Paris of North America," with five- and six-storey walk-up buildings along the arterial streets?

Meanwhile, Battaglia awaits his own acceptance of his situation. He's been offered a bit of money and a tax break to help him to maintain his property. "I haven't bothered to look into it yet," he says.

And if the Greenbelt is enlarged, he's pretty sure what the government will do: "They're not going to expand it where they've got friends, just where they think it's safe."

Peter Gorrie is the Star's former environment reporter. He can be reached at: pgorrie@sympatico.ca

Greenbelt 2.0 proposal from the Greenbelt Alliance
Greenbelt_2.jpg

Last edited:
Why does everyone require a detached three or four bedroom house? It's not like you get a backyard of any serious size with these ridiculously expensive and substandardly-built subdivision homes.

I don't know....humanity kills me sometimes. Bunch of apes.

Seriously. People need to realise that sprawl can't go on forever.

All new greenfield development should be prohibited in this province in my opinion and new development should only be done in existingly built-up areas.

This 40% nonsense is ridiculous. Should be much higher than that.

PS: Yes, I am an anti-subdivision facist.

Isn't Cherrywood in exurban Pickering?

Yup.

Cherrywood is the southern-most settlement in North Pickering on Concession 3. Two of my neighbours are corn fields.

Can't wait to move back downtown!

Last edited:
Ah. You're a "I hate suburbs because I've experienced the suffering of living in one" person instead of a "I hate suburbs because their growth threatens my bucolic rural lifestyle" person.

Gotcha. ;)

Tell me, if you had a choice would you rather live in exurban Cherrywood or suburban Pickering proper?

Development is eroding the Greenbelt from within. The province is doing some of the damage through construction of expressways, water and sewer pipes, and hydro transmission corridors; it's also letting private projects proceed. In addition, advocates say, the world's largest Greenbelt must be expanded, mainly because construction and paving is simply leapfrogging beyond its outer boundary, particularly into Simcoe County to the north and around Brantford and Waterloo to the west.

Does development in Waterloo really count as "leapfrogging"? To me that implies that people who would otherwise live in the NW GTA and commute somewhere else in the GTA are skipping over the Greenbelt to Waterloo, and commuting to somewhere in the GTA. I always got the feeling Kitchener-Waterloo was for the most part its own area with mostly organic growth for the local economy, not a bedroom community for Toronto.

Ah. You're a "I hate suburbs because I've experienced the suffering of living in one" person instead of a "I hate suburbs because their growth threatens my bucolic rural lifestyle" person.

Gotcha. ;)

Tell me, if you had a choice would you rather live in exurban Cherrywood or suburban Pickering proper?

Wait, what? I've never! I grew up in a central Scarborough mid-rise and moved here 9 years ago to this decrepit old farmhouse. My parents own it.

I did a stint in residence at Carleton for two years, in a basement in Rexdale and in a Parkdale high-rise.

I'm moving to somewhere close to Ryerson in a couple of months.

I haven't exactly lived in what I deem to be suburbia.....maybe Rexdale was the closest I've gotten to that.

I hate subdivisions because they are of shoddy construction, fugly, overly expansive, wastes of space, over-priced, environmentally detrimental, contributing to a selfish and sloppy lifestyle, etc :)

Ok, I guess Rexdale would be kinda suburban....but other than my 7 months there...not really.

And yes, I'd rather live in my parents' farmhouse than some crazy-assed never-ending crescent at the bottom of the hill here.

But that is all neither here nor there cause I'm moving back to central Toronto which is where I'm happiest.

Have you seen any of the Hubble images?
Yes, but.....
...I don't get it.

Cover the bloody planet in shitty detached four bedroom $500K ripoffs on never-ending crescents and cul-de-sacs just because oh, there seems to be a bit of undeveloped space left? :rolleyes:

True.

Hmm....maybe someday people will realise.

I'm pretty young and I see subdivision sprawl to be a thing of the 20th century. Along with discrimination, unions, and political correctness. It's just.....passe.

Unfortunately, the world is run by a bunch of greedy relics from the 20th century and not by a bunch of much-less greedy young bloods such as myself. :D

You may be right. I believe that cities were necessary as a way of managing the costs of things like electricity, employment, etc. through the proximity of people, but I see the possibility of completely self-sustaining homes in the near future. Such homes can exist anywhere--as far from the maddening crowd as one wishes. You'll be telecommuting from the moon before you know it. :)

True.

Hmm....maybe someday people will realise.

I'm pretty young and I see subdivision sprawl to be a thing of the 20th century. Along with discrimination, unions, and political correctness. It's just.....passe.

Unfortunately, the world is run by a bunch of greedy relics from the 20th century and not by a bunch of much-less greedy young bloods such as myself.

Astounding that someone as young as yourself who lives in his mother's basement and doesn't have a job could be so insightfull.

Just an observation from an old relic whose sweat and taxes made it possible for you to waste everyones time with your puerile whining.

Astounding that someone as young as yourself who lives in his mother's basement and doesn't have a job could be so insightfull.

Just an observation from an old relic whose sweat and taxes made it possible for you to waste everyones time with your puerile whining.

Basement? I live in the master bedroom, boyo!

Oh yeah, I haven't worked a day in my life. :rolleyes:

I've been working construction since the age of 14 and yes, paying taxes. Do you have a point? Am I not allowed an opinion because I haven't been paying taxes for 40 years?

And come on....YOUR sweat and taxes made MY life possible? I see. I suppose you gave birth to me as well.

Back