News   Apr 26, 2024
 302     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 483     0 

Graffiti

I noticed more and more that etching on glass and windows has become a greater problem. From TTC bus shelters, train windows and to businesses. You can paint over or clean painted graffitis, but when someone etches on glass it's permanent you can't get rid of it unless you replace the entire glass. It's a real shame.

I noticed more and more that etching on glass and windows has become a greater problem. From TTC bus shelters, train windows and to businesses. You can paint over or clean painted graffitis, but when someone etches on glass it's permanent you can't get rid of it unless you replace the entire glass. It's a real shame.

There's a way to remove the scratches without removing the glass, but it's costly.

Four arrested in west-end graffiti spree

May 04, 2008 07:15 PM
Sarah Boesveld
Staff reporter

Police made four arrests on Friday they hope will put an end to a “rampant graffiti spree†in the city’s west end.

Graffiti markings known as “tags†cropped up in the Queensway and Islington Ave. area between December 2007 and March 2008.

The tags “Cahoots,†“Riff Raff,†“Get Loose,†and “GYS†were inked, spray painted and etched on property in the area, police said.

Walls, signs and vehicles were targeted.

Police believe the tags are only used by these individuals and have been seen elsewhere in the GTA.

Ryan McCarney, Sterling Healey, Shane Tyrer and Danny Surjanac were arrested in Uxbridge with help from Durham Regional Police. They appeared in a downtown court Saturday morning.

The investigation is ongoing. Any witnesses are asked to call 416-808-2260.

Glass and graffitti in Paris

Just having come back from Paris, I can attest that Toronto's glass seems almost entirely unscathed compared with that city, in which the glass on every window of every subway car seemed to be etched. I even saw commercial windows in stores that were etched, though presumably they would be repaired or replaced more quickly.

Lots of graffitti, too, throughout the city. Certain highly tourist areas were cleaned up, but in most of the city one had the impression that no one is cleaning it up.

It was a bit shocking, and unfortunately shows how much worse it can get here as well.

Ryan McCarney, Sterling Healey, Shane Tyrer and Danny Surjanac were arrested in Uxbridge with help from Durham Regional Police. They appeared in a downtown court Saturday morning.

Ah, Uxbridge. That may say more about how graffiti's gotten its bad name than anything...

damn now we have to deal with "etch tags?"..why are the boonies taggers coming into Toronto?...dont they have walls in Uxbridge?.Fine those SOB's and make them remove ALL the tags on the walls they painted.

Just having come back from Paris, I can attest that Toronto's glass seems almost entirely unscathed compared with that city, in which the glass on every window of every subway car seemed to be etched. I even saw commercial windows in stores that were etched, though presumably they would be repaired or replaced more quickly.

Lots of graffitti, too, throughout the city. Certain highly tourist areas were cleaned up, but in most of the city one had the impression that no one is cleaning it up.

It was a bit shocking, and unfortunately shows how much worse it can get here as well.

I was just in Brussels, and it makes Paris look spotless. It's not even artistic. It's just random words like "soap" spray painted quickly all over. One morning, we took a train from Brussels to Ypres and the outside of the train was covered nearly 100% in spraypaint. The original colour of the train was unknown to us. I really couldn't imagine a go-train or TTC subway car looking like that. It makes you realize just how clean Toronto is, at least from a graffiti aspect. It's almost as if in Brussels they've just given up and accepted it.

Also, like in Paris, pretty much every window on the metro was scratched up and they're also forced to cover all of the storefronts with metal (graffiti'd of course) after they've closed up shop to ensure that the glass wouldn't be etched into.

The Globe and Mail had a little more detail on those Uxbridgians who were tagging up our beautiful city. Turns out they're a "hardcore punk band" called Liferuiner. I'm sure they could use some publicity, so here's their official MySpace page: Liferuiner. Ooh, scary. Lock up your daughters, Poughkeepsie, they might die of laughter, or get spraypaint in their eyes or something.

POLICE TEACH SUBURBAN PUNK ROCKERS A LESSON ON HOW GRAFFITI RUINS LIVES

GREG MCARTHUR
Globe and Mail Update
May 5, 2008 at 9:31 AM EDT

TORONTO — Two members of a hardcore punk band called Liferuiner were among four young men arrested this weekend in connection with a "rampant graffiti spree" in Toronto's west end.

The musicians, whose song titles include You Call Me Son, I Call You Dead and You Look Better When You're Drunk, were arrested late Friday night in the town of Uxbridge - nearly 90 kilometres away from scene of the alleged vandalism - where the band kicked off what was supposed to be a 43-city tour through Canada and the United States.

Investigators allowed the band to play the show, but swooped in as they started packing up their gear at O'Grady's Tap & Grill, Detective Constable Todd Storey said.

"People paid money to hear them," he said.

Danny Surjanac, a singer with the band, and Shane Tyrer, a drummer, each face 28 counts of mischief under $5,000.

Two other men, Ryan McCarney and Sterling Healey, also face the same charges.

Over the past four months, vandals armed with red, blue and black spray paint have blanketed the intersection of Islington Avenue and the Queensway with graffiti and signature messages known as tags.

Various businesses, including a commercial photography studio, an Asian produce depot and a perfume importer, have been sprayed-painted with similar messages such as "Riff Raff," "Get Loose!" and "Cahoots!"

"Everyone's been complaining about it," Det. Constable Storey said, explaining that one of his colleagues had counted as many as 71 of the signature tags in the area.

Many of the white cube vans in the industrial area have also been targeted, Osvaldo Perez, an employee at another vandalized business, said yesterday.

"The driver paints it, and then they come back," said Mr. Perez, pointing at a freshly painted cube van that now features the message "Get Loose!"

One of the keys to identifying the vandals was a recent change in address by some of the suspects, Det. Constable Storey said.

When the musicians vacated their most recent Queensway-area apartment, they left behind the same signature tags on some of the furniture.

Members of the band could not be reached for comment, and neither they, nor their manager, returned voicemail and e-mail messages.

According to the band's website, their next scheduled concert is Friday in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

However, their bail conditions will likely prohibit their ability to travel to the United States, the police officer said.

However, Band manager Gregory Moore, reached late Sunday, referred to one of the suspects as a "fill-in singer" and said the arrests will not affect the band's U.S. tour.

"The band feels it was unfortunate that the ... individuals were arrested. The band is fully supportive of art — regardless of form," he said.

Original Article

I was just in Brussels, and it makes Paris look spotless. It's not even artistic. It's just random words like "soap" spray painted quickly all over. One morning, we took a train from Brussels to Ypres and the outside of the train was covered nearly 100% in spraypaint. The original colour of the train was unknown to us. I really couldn't imagine a go-train or TTC subway car looking like that. It makes you realize just how clean Toronto is, at least from a graffiti aspect. It's almost as if in Brussels they've just given up and accepted it.

Also, like in Paris, pretty much every window on the metro was scratched up and they're also forced to cover all of the storefronts with metal (graffiti'd of course) after they've closed up shop to ensure that the glass wouldn't be etched into.

Ah, European decadence...

chav2.jpg

Back