News   Jul 17, 2024
 580     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 648     0 

Graffiti

sometimes i wonder if drawing pictures in kindergarten is "gateway vandalism". ;)

"today they're coloring in the numbered areas, tomorrow they're spraying murals on stadiums"

Legal, shmegal - its hit-and-run nature is what gives graffiti credibility and differentiates it from the sort of dreary, government-subsidized, craft-based McVandalism shown in the videos that Roots_Energize has posted.

General Idea were more than happy to have their AIDS sculpture tagged. It was displayed outside the ROM a couple of years ago, and acquired several new messages. Indeed, GI objected when earlier tagging was removed by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art after it had been displayed there in 1993.

On one hand you complain about graffiti being a criminal act, then on another hand you try and talk about graffitis credibility , so there damned if its illegal or damned its legal, no matter how good the painting is, if picaso picked up a spray can and painted on a wall you'd still be against it with contempt, do you think paintings only belong in galleries?
those artist that didnt paint realism where looked down at, calling them "primitive" and so on, now look at how respected it is
its authentic, there not advertising or being used by a big business, both parties win!, if i own a building and i want to paint it up ,how can you say its wrong?

Well, of course, Picasso's output is considerably diminished these days. But if Hockney wants to jet over and paint the outside of my house, uninvited, I shan't squeal on him to the authorities. So the question of "how good the painting is" is paramount, and art can pop up in the most unexpected places.

SOCIETY: AGO'S MASSIVE PARTY

Naked fundraising ambition

Deirdre Kelly mingled with art scenesters at the glammed-up Art Gallery of Ontario. Photography by Janice Pinto

DEIRDRE KELLY

April 19, 2008

Emphasizing the "art" in "party," a gang of graffiti artists turned the Art Gallery of Ontario's fourth annual fundraiser, Massive Party, into a mosh pit of creative energies.

The theme being Vanities and Vandals, the paint-wielding young Turks roamed the silk-curtain corridors of Muzik, the chic CNE venue where the party took place last week, tossing colour and jostling sensibilities. At one point, when the music seemed too loud and the room was teeming, AGO director Matthew Teitelbaum asked, "Where are my pyjamas?" (a reference, perhaps, to the effort involved in netting a new and younger generation of fundraisers).

Well, the jammies weren't on the artists performing in Jessika Joy's erotic satire, Mommy Says, Eat the Orange. They were starkers. The bankers, accountants and lawyers who pressed in close for a good look confirmed that much. Long live naked self-expression. The capacity crowd of 1,500 had paid $150 a ticket to watch not only the graf artists and starkers satirists, but also the members of the Female Fighting Federation duking it out beneath the chandeliers. The Great Bob Scott marching band showed up to further rev up the scenesters.

Drinking specialty cocktails like Prima Donna and Cherry Bomb, partygoers helped to raise $125,000 in support of AGO exhibition and education programs.

if the "painter" has no permission to tag a wall its illegal...and those who called this "art" should walk thru the lane ways of downtown..most of it is BS initials.Comparing Picasso to these idiot taggers is really stretching it...

if the "painter" has no permission to tag a wall its illegal...and those who called this "art" should walk thru the lane ways of downtown..most of it is BS initials.Comparing Picasso to these idiot taggers is really stretching it...

what about the painter that has permission?

I don't think anyone here is defending taggers who run around tagging their names on a mailbox. I think Roots is trying to defend the artists that do some amazing work on legal surfaces. Just walk through some of those same alleys and you can tell the legal from illegal works.

And when cubism first started there were plenty of people just like you to poo-poo what would become a celebrated art form.

Soliciting daubings, and therefore making them legal, no more determines whether they're art than doing them illegally determines that they're not art; it's little different from saying that art is only that which is displayed in a gallery. Sticking the word "art" on the end of the word "graffiti" doesn't transform those daubings into art either.

Soliciting daubings, and therefore making them legal, no more determines whether they're art than doing them illegally determines that they're not art; it's little different from saying that art is only that which is displayed in a gallery. Sticking the word "art" on the end of the word "graffiti" doesn't transform those daubings into art either.

wonk wonk wonk..... you can have your opinion, everyone is entitled to that but to think that art is this exclusive club that one must grant permission to belong is the most idiotic logic I have ever heard in my life.

But it is an exclusive club. The talentless wannabees, whose work self-excludes their membership, far outnumber the elite few who hold court within.

Back