News   Jul 17, 2024
 578     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 648     0 

Graffiti

Graffiti: It actually began in Philadelphia along with New York!

Everyone: Graffiti as we know it actually began with a pioneer writer in Philadelphia named "Cornbread" around 1970 or so.

It quickly spread 90 miles north to New York City taking hold in the NYC Subways in 1972. Even today there is a "Philly" style of graffiti-which I can not describe easily but I can almost instantly recognize.

Philadelphia had graffiti on their transit system in the 70s as much as or in cases even more then NYC-writers actually then would go into subway tunnels to tag-usually with visible white paint-much of which is still visible today. I recall back in the 70s there were certain station hallways and areas there was literally covered with graffiti-a prime example was the 11th Street Station on the Market Street Subway before it was renovated in the early 80s. I also remember a group called Klub City Decorators-one of the first graffiti groups that I recall.

In the 1980s SEPTA(Philadelphia's transit system)under David Gunn declared all-out war on Graffiti-even starting their own police force with eradication of graffiti a prime target. It amazes me that even 30 years later the "Philly" style of graffiti is still recognizable.

New York has its own style-it seems that artists worldwide copy this style-made famous by movies like "Wild Style" in the 80s and the promotion of urban and rap culture that took hold then. You saw graffiti afterwards in cities and places that never had it before-like in Europe.

This is some info I recall on graffiti from memory-
LI MIKE

A partial solution would be to ban the sales of spray paint to anyone that's less than 19. Something similar to sales of cigarettes.
That assumes that most of these vandals are 18 or younger. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the demographic consists of those 25-30 year old man-childs, still living at home in their Mum's basement, playing X-Box, wearing silly clothes and delaying adult hood until their 40s.

for every one banksy there are 5000 toys out there with ugly handstyles.

Indeed. This cruelly limited visual vocabulary isn't restricted to not particularly bright adolescents. Some guys will still be churning out this stuff when they're 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 ... and still claiming that it's "art".

Indeed. This cruelly limited visual vocabulary isn't restricted to not particularly bright adolescents. Some guys will still be churning out this stuff when they're 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 ... and still claiming that it's "art".

One of the saddest examples of this is "Val Kilmer".

I often see graffiti in places that would otherwise be ugly nasty-coloured walls with urine stains.

There's still a few Val's around if you look hard enough...

val1.jpg

and there will still be snooty, elitist old men, thinking they are the grand authority on anything creative. How truly sad indeed.

and there will still be snooty, elitist old men, thinking they are the grand authority on anything creative. How truly sad indeed.
What you do out of public site in/on your own private property is your own business. The minute you deface public property, or the private property of others in any fashion, regardless of what you think creative or art means, you're now making it the public and government's business, including those snooty men that make the laws.

What you do out of public site in/on your own private property is your own business. The minute you deface public property, or the private property of others in any fashion, regardless of what you think creative or art means, you're now making it the public and government's business, including those snooty men that make the laws.

I'm not defending the value of anything done on anyone's property without permission, there is plenty of beautiful graffiti done, with permission.

What I don't understand is how tagging became so popular? When I was a kid growing up in Mississauga and Toronto in the 1970s and 1980s I rarely saw graffiti on post and paper boxes or on transit, etc. Now it seems it's everywhere. What happened?

No I mean, tagging. How is that marketable? What changed in young peoples' thinking from the 1970s and 1980s when I rarely saw tags, to where they're everywhere today.

and unfortunately tagging is marketable, just go into any nouveau sneaker store.
Look at how many corporations have used it as backdrops in commercials, it's been turned into a piece of the urban texture that has become so sheik in the last decade or so. There seems to be a certain trend in marketing to include certain visual triggers when going after the younger, urban demographic, graffiti or simple tagging in most cases,is usually the first on the list. Followed closely by flowing arrows, paint splatters, and marker streaks, used in everything from shoe commercials, to snowboards, from cars to Tim Hortons coffee.
I've done work for Canadian tire, Harvey's, McDonalds, Addidas, Jean Machine, Sony, Future Shop, Coca-Cola and it's always the same creative pitch, we need to attract that young, urban, connected to the street crowd.

Nothing changed in the 70's and 80's, I'm from the same era, I think in Toronto's case, the idea of tagging or the hip hop culture hadn't quite made it up here yet. People caught glimpses from afar and through imported mags, movies and such. Now it's homegrown.

it should also be noted that Gorilla-marketing has been a huge success in the last decade, even though I personally don't agree with it, there seems to be on-the-table companies using those tactics.

Back