News   Jun 26, 2024
 139     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Goldie's Toronto

Goldie,

I took this picture outside the B&H store in New York City last November. B&H is a very large photo equipment store, very large indeed, and a sort of mecca for hobbyists. Like our own Downtown Camera here in Toronto, you will often find people walking about nearby with vintage equipment. These two gentlemen were carrying Speed Graphic cameras with Polaroid backs. I only include it here as I thought it might be interesting. It might not be but the deed is done. :)

DSC_4187.jpg

The Big One

That's a fine photo of two enthusiastic photographers - always good to see vintage cameras in use.
I have one of those Crown Graphics, too.
I'm concerned for their supply of Polaroid film which will soon be depleted since manufacturing has been discontinued.

I'm reminded that thousands of used cameras and other photo equipment will soon be on sale at our local "mecca for hobbyists."
The largest used photo equipment sale in Canada will be coming soon to an indoor soccer arena in Woodbridge - see attached flyer!
I always attend - the bargains are terrific!

Attachments

• photo sale.jpg
    photo sale.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 308
Goldie,

These two gentlemen were carrying Speed Graphic cameras with Polaroid backs. I only include it here as I thought it might be interesting. It might not be but the deed is done. :)

DSC_4187.jpg

Thanks again, Mustapha, for that shot of your NY friend with his "Speed" Graphic (you sure it's not a Crown Graphic?).

It prompted me to dig out my 4x5 Crown Graphic and load it with paper-negative material (enlarging paper).
I did this photo at the Guild Inn on Good Friday.
Digitized the paper-neg. to make this positive.
Great fun!

GuildInnshed-frompaperneg.jpg

Goldieand4x5Graphic.jpg

Thanks again, Mustapha, for that shot of your NY friend with his "Speed" Graphic (you sure it's not a Crown Graphic?).

It prompted me to dig out my 4x5 Crown Graphic and load it with paper-negative material (enlarging paper).
I did this photo at the Guild Inn on Good Friday.
Digitized the paper-neg. to make this positive.
Great fun!

GuildInnshed-frompaperneg.jpg

Goldieand4x5Graphic.jpg

Goldie, I honestly don't remember now what they told me now except that 'Graphic' was part of the name for sure. I remember hearing about 'Speed' Graphics in the past so that's what I typed. :)

Terrific image and sweet bit of 'kit' as the Brits would say. There's something about seeing an image of the present taken through an antique lens - I try to tell myself it's like looking into the future from the past.

And how utterly clever of you!

An odd sculpture by Sorel Etrog at the Guild Inn.

Guild-RavennabySorelEtrog.jpg

Looks good in close-up!

Guild-Ravennasculpture.jpg

Another odd vision at the Guild.

Guild-odddoor.jpg

Something strange on the Bloor Viaduct. Odd to see such an antique instrument like this. It was installed in 1995, although this device is much older than that. It has been vandalized and is inoperable.

CSC_5060.jpg

^ Great pic! I never knew those were installed so recently. I wonder how long they were actually in operation for? I don't recall them ever working...

These two gentlemen were carrying Speed Graphic cameras with Polaroid backs. I only include it here as I thought it might be interesting. It might not be but the deed is done.

That's such an amazing shot. It looks like something right out of the 50s. Those guys look so cool... I really can't imagine it would have the same impact in full colour; the monochrome nature of it gives it a timelessness that's truly enviable. It was sure good of them to pose, and pose so agreeably. That's a keeper alright.

The eyes have it!

Something strange on the Bloor Viaduct. Odd to see such an antique instrument like this. It was installed in 1995, although this device is much older than that. It has been vandalized and is inoperable.

CSC_5060.jpg

Nice artifact - too bad about the visual damage.
Reminds me of Niagara Falls
and also of this grand 1951 photograph:

Attachments

• photographer.jpg
    photographer.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 295
^ Great pic! I never knew those were installed so recently. I wonder how long they were actually in operation for? I don't recall them ever working...

Thanks EVCco, I imagine the expertise to fix this is very highly specialized, perhaps a camera repair person. The front elements are gouged and need to be replaced. The issue is what happens after it is repaired, if ever. What's to stop anyone else from doing this again?

That's such an amazing shot. It looks like something right out of the 50s. Those guys look so cool... I really can't imagine it would have the same impact in full colour; the monochrome nature of it gives it a timelessness that's truly enviable. It was sure good of them to pose, and pose so agreeably. That's a keeper alright.

Thanks Lone Primate. Have you ever read Rogue Primate? :) Good book.

Nice artifact - too bad about the visual damage.
Reminds me of Niagara Falls
and also of this grand 1951 photograph:

Goldie, If you could apply Anthropology 101 to optical design you could write an A+ paper on the design elements of this instrument as they relate to the human face: 'Eyes' to see, 'eyelashes' to protect the eyes, 'ears' to turn the head, a 'neck' to swivel, a 'chin' to balance and keep the face upright. :)

Just like your 'Life' picture.

Goldie, If you could apply Anthropology 101 to optical design you could write an A+ paper on the design elements of this instrument as they relate to the human face: 'Eyes' to see, 'eyelashes' to protect the eyes, 'ears' to turn the head, a 'neck' to swivel, a 'chin' to balance and keep the face upright.

It's also a great prop for some amusing photography - I found this one on the Net.

Attachments

• telescope person.jpg
    telescope person.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 310
Toronto's own bridge-to-nowhere. The abandoned Eastern Avenue Bridge.

April 2011.

812-Copy.jpg

You can walk along it. Someone has ripped open the frost fence. Enter from the stairs just to the immediate west of the Queen street bridge, south side. Walk south along the footpath about .30 of a kilometre. Mind for swift and silent cyclists coming up behind you. When you get to the bridge you will see the opening.

Last edited:
Toronto's own bridge-to-nowhere. The abandoned Eastern Avenue Bridge.

April 2011.

812.jpg

You can walk along it. Someone has ripped open the frost fence. Enter from the stairs just to the immediate west of the Queen street bridge, south side. Walk south along the footpath about .30 of a kilometre. Mind for swift and silent cyclists coming up behind you. When you get to the bridge you will see the opening.

It's really great that you were able to access the bridge.
Interesting and rare photo-angle, too!

I've been looking at that site you recommended "Bridges to nowhere" and was pleased to see this as well as other Canadian content.

http://www.waymarking.com/cat/detai...&sg=f32d6353-bbe5-47e1-9f65-19d2e9eb38ac&st=2

Some amazing worldwide structures to behold.
I especially admire the photo of the Old Kirby Road Bridge in Vaughn, ON (attached).
Reminds me of the 'concrete bridge' (as we once called it) on old Don Mills Rd., in the valley.

Attachments

• Old Kirby Road Bridge - Vaughn, ON.jpg
    Old Kirby Road Bridge - Vaughn, ON.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 330

Back