News   Mar 28, 2024
 487     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 399     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 742     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

The height clearance issue is for bi-level EMUs, correct? Could Metrolinx not just go with single-level EMUs instead, and leave the bi-levels to the non-electrified, more long distance trips? It would be a reduction in capacity, but it would make RER much more "subway-like".

A BiLevel car is only a couple of inches taller than a locomotive, so short of preventing VIA and GO diesels from accessing the trainshed altogether - a not likely scenario - changing to single-level EMUs isn't really going to solve much of anything.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I doubt the height clearance in the train shed is an actual issue, Metrolinx has probably just not said what the fix will be and the writer of that article just assumed the worst.

If using rigid overhead will work, then it is really just a non-issue.

I doubt the height clearance in the train shed is an actual issue, Metrolinx has probably just not said what the fix will be and the writer of that article just assumed the worst.

If using rigid overhead will work, then it is really just a non-issue.

It's likely a bit more complex than just one fix, and will require two or three things done in concert in order to provide the best solution. But in any case, there's nothing insurmountable at all.

What is really concerning is that someone as high up and important as Mr. Wolczyk has no clue about any previous studies and solutions to problems that have long been thought up and solved.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yeah, it's all bullshit, frankly.

They've known since the original electrification report in 1981 that the clearances under the trainshed are tight, and as part of the report they came up with a suite of different possibilities to overcome it. And every single report since has outlined additional measures that they can take.

I think, frankly, it's a combination of someone at Metrolinx not knowing anything about what they are doing and panicking about it, and a slow news day at the newspapers.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
or justify their work and prolong all the consultants work, etc

As the reconstruction of platforms 20/21 is complete, the next round is much more extensive and is already under way. The following platforms are now under construction: 15, 16, 17, 18.

Re: Union Train Shed Replacement & $600 million in GO up

^ adding to the above.

www.toronto.ca/union_stat.../intro.pdf

Components and ownership of the Station complex
The Station complex is composed of the following major elements:
• the station building (or Head House) at both ground and concourse levels;
• the moats along Front Street, turning south along both Bay and York Streets to the start of the teamways at the viaducts;
• the teamways running south from the moats along both Bay and York Streets;
• the trainshed, its platforms and tracks;
• the VIA concourse;
• the east GO concourse and planned west GO concourse; and
• the service areas directly beneath the arrival/departure hall currently used for storage, mechanical uses, parking and loading docks.

The City of Toronto owns all the lands and the building south of Front Street between York and Bay Streets north of the Canadian National Railway’s High Line, plus the York West Teamway. GO Transit owns the rail corridor roughly stretching between the Don River and Strachan Avenue, and the former CP Express site across Bay Street, including the Bay East Teamway. Between York and Bay Streets, GO Transit owns
a 27 foot high three-dimensional stratum or envelope through the City of Toronto’s property which houses the trainshed, tracks and platforms. The City of Toronto owns the building below and the air space above the GO envelope.

Several other entities have leasehold or other contractual rights to space in the Station and neighbouring properties enjoy rights of access through the block for pedestrian routes.

----

So, it appears GO owns the train shed, tracks and platform, but not the space above that, or the building (via waiting area) below.
That's right! I found the same by digging on the RailDeckPark and air-rights. The railways have *never* owned the land that Union and and yards sit upon. It's all in the "Esplanade Agreement". The City not only owns the air-rights over the station and shed, it owns the land under and over the corridor from roughly Bathurst to Parliament (I've posted the exact details in the RailDeck forum).

The Esplanade Agreement, btw, has been before the Supreme Court of Canada for rulings as to applicability. It has the force of law through the Parliament of Canada, and the Ontario Legislature, the latter acting on behalf of the City.

Thanks for that link Admiral! There's some excellent posts in the beginning of this thread.

Are there any pictures of completed platforms anywhere where not only is the platform concrete and track work done but the shed is also painted light grey and the roof re-installed?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Are there any pictures of completed platforms anywhere where not only is the platform concrete and track work done but the shed is also painted light grey and the roof re-installed?
Platform 24. Best I've got:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,003
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 961
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always astounded when I see how little of the old steelwork has been removed from under that new glass section. It would look a lot less junky if they would just complete that part of the work.

- Paul

Platform 24. Best I've got:

That's not part of the original shed I think - in any case, the hope that painting it grey and having a slit-vent will help lighten things up is just that - hope.

I'm always astounded when I see how little of the old steelwork has been removed from under that new glass section. It would look a lot less junky if they would just complete that part of the work.

I think it is still holding up some signals and cables - maybe that's one reason why they are taking forever at it?

AoD

I'm still somewhat astounded that we were forced to keep the damn thing in the first place. Heritage or not, the shed is dark and dreary. Kind of the opposite of the desired objective of lightening and brightening the passenger experience...

Thanks drum! They're green roofing it though, right? Looks so nice open with the CN Tower visible, just clear glassing it would be awesome!

Back