News   Mar 28, 2024
 128     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 575     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 364     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

I'm still somewhat astounded that we were forced to keep the damn thing in the first place. Heritage or not, the shed is dark and dreary. Kind of the opposite of the desired objective of lightening and brightening the passenger experience...
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when the new glass roof does not extend the entire length of the platform. If you talk to people or listen to others who are talking about it, it seems that a lot of people on the platforms think that this is going to happen.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when the new glass roof does not extend the entire length of the platform. If you talk to people or listen to others who are talking about it, it seems that a lot of people on the platforms think that this is going to happen.
The thing is there hasn't been really any progress on the rest of the trains hed, are plans currently on hold well they figure out what to do with electrification of the go trains? Or are they looking at possibly scrapping the plan to save the bush shed as it exists now?

... FYI they've been re-roofing the rest of the shed the past couple of weeks already. As far as I can tell it's just a cheap-looking material. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the green roof plans were scrapped for now or the roofing project was cheapened in some way, because they weren't sure what plans would be for electrification

... FYI they've been re-roofing the rest of the shed the past couple of weeks already. As far as I can tell it's just a cheap-looking material. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the green roof plans were scrapped for now or the roofing project was cheapened in some way, because they weren't sure what plans would be for electrification
I think they may be putting on temporary roofs do to there being some leaks into the station below.

Progress on the heritage bush shed re-roofing. Platforms for tracks 6 and 7 are being covered now, and I've noticed progress from the beginning of the week untill now. I've also noticed that all vast majority of the concrete exhaust guideways above the tracks (sorry, don't know what they're called) are done. It was nice to not get rained on today while waiting for my GO Train. I'm commuting to Toronto for the summer, so I'll keep the forum updated on progress. All shots are looking east, and continue eastward, and are taken from platform 6/7. Also, sorry for low quality, taken in a rush for my approaching train.

ce1Ebz6.jpg

AfJ66PC.jpg

xo2diR3.jpg

Progress on the heritage bush shed re-roofing. Platforms for tracks 6 and 7 are being covered now, and I've noticed progress from the beginning of the week untill now. I've also noticed that all vast majority of the concrete exhaust guideways above the tracks (sorry, don't know what they're called) are done. It was nice to not get rained on today while waiting for my GO Train. I'm commuting to Toronto for the summer, so I'll keep the forum updated on progress. All shots are looking east, and continue eastward, and are taken from platform 6/7. Also, sorry for low quality, taken in a rush for my approaching train.

ce1Ebz6.jpg

AfJ66PC.jpg

xo2diR3.jpg
I think the term for the concrete roof ducts is smoke jacks at least that's what they are called in a roundhouse, they are meant to draw the smoke out with fresh air going across the top, at least that's what they did in the age of Steam I'm not sure how effective they are with modern diesel engines though.

I think the term for the concrete roof ducts is smoke jacks at least that's what they are called in a roundhouse, they are meant to draw the smoke out with fresh air going across the top, at least that's what they did in the age of Steam I'm not sure how effective they are with modern diesel engines though.
Its to give that old look and it does allow the diesel fumes to be exhausted like the steam locomotives. Once EMU's are up and running, you will still need the jacks until everything is 100% electrify, but too costly to redo the roof.

From Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/08/10/go-train-platform-changes-start-at-union-station.html

THIS STORY IS FROM 2016, IT WAS LINKED TO FROM ANOTHER STAR PIECE TODAY.

Starting Wednesday, many GO Transit commuters will have to board their trains from a different platform at Union Station due to construction.

As the next phase of the Union Station Revitalization Project gets underway, platforms 11, 12, 13 will be closed as crews are “refurbishing the steel train shed structure and installing a new roof.”

Passengers on the Kitchener, Barrie, Richmond Hill, Lakeshore West and Lakeshore East line will be impacted. GO Transit has provided an updated list of where passengers can board their trains.

According to GO Transit, construction and platform adjustments will continue for the next two years until the project is completed.

“The revitalized structure and new roof will result in a safer, more comfortable experience for our customers by protecting them and our infrastructure from the elements,” GO Transit said.

Last edited:
From Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/08/10/go-train-platform-changes-start-at-union-station.html

Starting Wednesday, many GO Transit commuters will have to board their trains from a different platform at Union Station due to construction.

As the next phase of the Union Station Revitalization Project gets underway, platforms 11, 12, 13 will be closed as crews are “refurbishing the steel train shed structure and installing a new roof.”

Passengers on the Kitchener, Barrie, Richmond Hill, Lakeshore West and Lakeshore East line will be impacted. GO Transit has provided an updated list of where passengers can board their trains.

According to GO Transit, construction and platform adjustments will continue for the next two years until the project is completed.

“The revitalized structure and new roof will result in a safer, more comfortable experience for our customers by protecting them and our infrastructure from the elements,” GO Transit said.

EDIT: you have posted an article from August 2016, almost a year ago. Those tracks were closed and reopened a few months later. I'm not sure why you're posting it as if it's current news...gave me a panic for a second.

EDIT: you have posted an article from August 2016, almost a year ago. Those tracks were closed and reopened a few months later. I'm not sure why you're posting it as if it's current news...gave me a panic for a second.
Sorry about that, it was a link from a GO story on Star website today and I did not check the date of the linked-to story. Mea culpa!

Back