News   Apr 19, 2024
 234     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 590     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

And UT News:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/07/union-and-other-go-stations-be-enhanced-rer-service

Track removal for platform expansion is in the game again?

AoD
So where would tracks get removed? My guess is wherever there are double tracks without platforms inbetween. The two tracks between platforms 3 and 4 come to mind.

This seems kind of silly after they've already done the roof work... removing tracks and realigning things... won't that screw with the roof exhaust shafts that they've already poured? And I guess they can't really move track patterns either so that multiple platforms can be expanded, with there being structural support pillars underneath each track.
All they can really do is double the width of platform three or platform four over top of whichever track they remove.

it's the two bypass tracks at the far southern end of the station. They were meant of what was once much busier freight traffic, but there is almost none of that today which means there is room for more platforms.

So where would tracks get removed? My guess is wherever there are double tracks without platforms inbetween. The two tracks between platforms 3 and 4 come to mind.

This seems kind of silly after they've already done the roof work... removing tracks and realigning things... won't that screw with the roof exhaust shafts that they've already poured? And I guess they can't really move track patterns either so that multiple platforms can be expanded, with there being structural support pillars underneath each track.
All they can really do is double the width of platform three or platform four over top of whichever track they remove.
No, it's actually a new platform to the south of Platform 26/27.

It is currently three tracks (one platform edge plus two bypass tracks). They would replace the middle track (second last track, second most southernmost track) with a platform. This adds an extra berth for stopping trains.

Bypass tracks are no longer needed at Union as freight service has practically almost ended theough Union, and the one rare offpeak small freight train can rumble through an empty platform instead.

ohhh okay gotcha. "Platform expansion" makes me think of wider platforms. Saying there will be an "extra platform" or an "additional platform" suits this situation better, I guess.

Here's how it looked in the shed yesterday…

1DSC03772.jpg
2DSC03771.jpg
3DSC03770.jpg
4DSC03769.jpg
6DSC03767.jpg

These doors have been closed for a long time. Not sure what the future connection will be here - to a hall in the East Wing? (At half a flight down, it's not enough of a grade change to be going to the new GO Bay Concourse.)

5DSC03768.jpg

Attachments

• 1DSC03772.jpg
    1DSC03772.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 2DSC03771.jpg
    2DSC03771.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 3DSC03770.jpg
    3DSC03770.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 249
  • 4DSC03769.jpg
    4DSC03769.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 266
  • 6DSC03767.jpg
    6DSC03767.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 258
  • 5DSC03768.jpg
    5DSC03768.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 239
The mistake was adding the green roof on top. Not that I oppose green roofs per se, but this roof needed more translucent openings to let light in. Had that been done, the preserved ironwork (at least it is painted in a lighter colour now) would have been an attraction.

But, yes, we have successfully preserved the dingiest attribute.

- Paul

Ah, they seem to have caught the historic feel correctly. Dark and dingy. Congratulations on saving the ugly!
Parks Canada would be proud. They're the ones who enforce federal heritage designations, correct?

I hope this "historic" bush shed gets demolished in the near future. Electricification would be much easier.

I believe that buildings are saved so that we can understand where we have been as a civilization. I think in this case, a couple of photos would have been fine. I could have understood that nicely in a 4' diorama section in a Toronto history museum without this honking monstrosity contaminating the commutes of thousands each day.

I believe that buildings are saved so that we can understand where we have been as a civilization. I think in this case, a couple of photos would have been fine. I could have understood that nicely in a 4' diorama section in a Toronto history museum without this honking monstrosity contaminating the commutes of thousands each day.
People need to realize that "historic" does not mean it must be kept. It can be relocated, parts can be salvaged, or, as you say, it can be documented and a small exhibit displayed.

Honestly, it looks really cool in those photos with the rows of arches. If properly renovated, you could tell people it's a shed in a historic European city somewhere, and they'd believe you. Properly renovated means painting the ironwork and ensuring the platforms are clean, bright, and attractively finished.

This is a city where the shed would get demolished and replaced with mediocrity. I've argued for attractive stations on the subway and in the GO system for years, and the response is always mixed. Some say, yes, railway infrastructure should make commuting a pleasure. Others say no, spend all the money on making the system as extensive as possible. You either need a consensus or a leader who just makes great architecture happen regardless of popular opinion. The latter is extremely rare in a democracy.

Last edited:
The whole box on stilts should've been continued all the way to the ends. They could find some way to integrate the historical facade or roof into the new building. Thw current design just looks like a half finished austerity measure compromise

The whole box on stilts should've been continued all the way to the ends. They could find some way to integrate the historical facade or roof into the new building. Thw current design just looks like a half finished austerity measure compromise

That would probably be too expensive. If we were building a new shed today, it would have all the charm of a parking garage interior.

Back