News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Before we get all self-absorbed with this project, look at what Melbourne is up to:

http://vote.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/

Sorry, the Zaha proposal alone make our Union Station project look like child's play - and this is their second hub revitalization (first is the Southern Cross project by Grimshaw) - we can barely manage one.

Australia has tons of interesting architecture. Problem is, much of it looks dated after 10 years and clashes with the neighbouring buildings which are also unique but don't integrate.

A few key pieces remain unique and end up in all the photos but there are dozens of poorly ageing franken buildings for every success.

GO needs to be spending money on service improvements, not beautifying stations. The next major round of Union Station modifications (probably within 30 years) can do something extravagant.

I noticed that they are tearing down the roof of the shed over the first platform directly abutting the station building. Is the roof not going to be original on the restored portion?

It is going to be restored, but they need to remove parts of it to access the structural steel.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Those are nice design competition images, sure, but they may remain fantasy for all we know. I did a quick look and couldn't find any mention of a budget for actually implementing any of the designs. Toronto had a lot of very expensive work to do at union. We're lucky the shed got as much priority as it did.

For the record, they spent over $A 1B for their Southern Cross station rebuild (part and parcel of a P3 arrangement) back in the early-mid 2000s - I don't think one can question the record of their commitment in this regard.

Australia has tons of interesting architecture. Problem is, much of it looks dated after 10 years and clashes with the neighbouring buildings which are also unique but don't integrate.

A few key pieces remain unique and end up in all the photos but there are dozens of poorly ageing franken buildings for every success.

GO needs to be spending money on service improvements, not beautifying stations. The next major round of Union Station modifications (probably within 30 years) can do something extravagant.

Can we honestly say however that our current approach with for example track arrangements (which is as incremental as it gets) represents a good value for money? Don't even forget - they didn't rebuild the stations solely for beauty - and they've already electrified the system in Melbourne as well.

AoD

Last edited:
No need to look so far from home, with Calatrava's WTC project taking shape to be larger than Grand Central Terminal. Though at $4 billion for that project, maybe we should some virtues in Toronto thinking small. (Though it looks like a mistake we did not reconfigure the tracks in the shed.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/n...to-be-the-grandest.html?ref=santiagocalatrava

Imagine getting something like thid in Toronto:

8_67_Terminal-Street-Level-2.jpg

We lack the vision for something like this to be built here.

Last edited:
Calatrava's PATH project is a bad comparator given the above ground portion is mainly an entrance for the underground concourse (and at 4B US, even I am not sure if it can be justified for the context). His Liège-Guillemins station might be slightly more appropriate.

AoD

I think that building must be one of the most beautiful train stations in the world, if not one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, period.

I wanted much more for the Union Station shed rebuild, (would a simple glassine arch be too much to ask for?), but given the condition of the city politics and confusion all around, I've settled into accepting it as the improvement it is. I think if the city ever builds another secondary train station, though, that is where a really advanced display of architectural and engineering prowess will have to happen.

I think if the city ever builds another secondary train station, though, that is where a really advanced display of architectural and engineering prowess will have to happen.
At the rate they are going, I expect the secondary station to be underground the existing tracks, between Bay and Union, for the electrified Lakeshore service. So no chance for spectacular train shed architecture.

You can see the first platforms missing roof there.

also, is there a specific reason why large portions of the old shed have yet to be torn down under the new glass canopy?

I have lots of questions haha.

Anyone know if the stairs to platform 24/25 from the York teamway are permanent? I used them today to go Northbound on the Stouffville line, and they are small and look very cheap.

I believe that the portions of the shed that have yet to be torn down under the glass canopy house the signal wiring and other infrastructure (PA wiring?).

I have a feeling they will add the green roofs once all the tracks are rebuilt and the shed redone. I.E. last thing to be done.

The existing roof will be rebuilt for the new green roof and one of the last things to be done as noted. You can see the roof for the south platform that has been done except for the green roof. You just can't paint the roof and lay the green roof on it.

They are installing rails on the roof for the swing stage for cleaning the side and underside of the roof. Lifts will be used to clean the ceiling area of the platforms.

If you look closely, you can see the copper roof being install on the station to the north.

They are building new signals mast in the centre area to replace the current one and a lot easier to see by the crews. Even as a passenger you can see the big difference.

Doesn't look too bad, they should have done the whole shed instead of part of it. The existing shed is hideous, whether it is heritage or not.

Back