News   May 07, 2024
 170     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 211     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 739     3 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

The new train shed trusses match the original train shed trusses but on a much larger scale, it seems to be a nice way to integrate both the old and new using a similar truss design. I too think it seems to be overkill with the steel but it makes sense to me now, after I looked at steel supports in interior of the old train shed. They also completed the west facing tag end of the new glass roof trusses

Architecture and design does matter. We satisfy our functional needs through new infrastructure, but we have the opportunity to use architecture to build our profile as an important metropolitan centre, to develop our culture and an overt legacy of economic achievement, and to produce a clear record of what we were capable of at this point in time.

I agree, but architecture needs to be part of the total budget with part of the budget delivering function. At Pearson architecture was part of the budget but they also built a building that handles many more passengers than if the project had not been built. At Union station building a grandiose train shed over top of the existing tracks and platforms delivers no function. It would also be erasing the legacy of what was built in an earlier time. If they were building a whole train shed with two levels of tracks and a whole lot of value then it would make sense to spend money on architecture to add to those efforts.

Based on the current construction pace and schedule, when do the first 2 renovated platforms re-open for use? They are being renovated incrementally and will re-open 2 at a time, rather than all at once upon completion of the project, correct?

`
unionshedf15.jpg

How easy/difficult would it be to reconfigure the track so that we could have Platform_track track_ platform_ track track

How easy/difficult would it be to reconfigure the track so that we could have Platform_track track_ platform_ track track

It would be easier to completely rebuild the station than to move the tracks.

It would be easier to completely rebuild the station than to move the tracks.

In other words "moving the tracks would require completely rebuilding the station".

Though I am skeptical about that point. Why can't you add some extra support pillars then a slab with proper cross-bracing and weight distribution to the tops of the pillars then reorganize the track layout?

Considering they are sawing off the bottom of each support pylon and replacing them I would think that they could have just as easily (err difficultly?) put in new pylons and support beams under a new alignment next to the old ones and once done shift the tracks to the new locations and remove the old ones. Doing so is basically rebuilding the whole structure under track level but really the amount of work they are doing under track level (new elevation of floors, replaced column bottoms, new stairs, etc) they really aren't that far off rebuilding it right now.

Considering they are sawing off the bottom of each support pylon and replacing them I would think that they could have just as easily (err difficultly?) put in new pylons and support beams under a new alignment next to the old ones and once done shift the tracks to the new locations and remove the old ones. Doing so is basically rebuilding the whole structure under track level but really the amount of work they are doing under track level (new elevation of floors, replaced column bottoms, new stairs, etc) they really aren't that far off rebuilding it right now.

Except that modifying the existing columns doesn't require completely reworking the currently open and active passenger levels underneath the tracks. Building new columns would - and how would you be able to stage it in such a way to keep those levels open?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Except that modifying the existing columns doesn't require completely reworking the currently open and active passenger levels underneath the tracks. Building new columns would - and how would you be able to stage it in such a way to keep those levels open?

Other than the parts of the station VIA uses all the floors that GO passengers are walking on are being ripped and replaced. Only the ground floor off Front, the VIA departure lounge, and the VIA arrivals level is going to have the floors remain. How much extra effort would it have been to include the VIA departure lounge as a phase of the rebuild?

Based on Feb 16 Metrolinx meeting, Fall 2016 is still the completion date schedule.

There will be other work at Union Station taking place after 2016, but not part of this project.

It's starting to look like OCAD's Alsop Table Top.

ea289_ocad_u_building.jpg

It could look interesting when covered in glass but are the legs receiving any cladding treatment?

The new train shed trusses match the original train shed trusses but on a much larger scale
Yeah - I think so too - it's got an unapologetic industrial / 1920's look to it.

Suddenly, it's standing out - and looking impressive.

I'm actually really liking the industrial steel trestle look of the new roof. The way it looks now, it reminds me of old railway infrastructure - in a good way.
I did want something a lot bigger and more "modern" than what we were seeing in the drawings, but these photos make it look like it's going to be just fine.

Last edited:

Back