News   Apr 25, 2024
 187     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 541     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

The crossings are being grade-separated to support AD2W, and especially future every-15-minute, service. It is not practical for various reasons to have that much service running at grade. This was, as far as I know, always the plan for implementing RER and not borne from any particular public complaints.

It's practical in many places, look in many areas of Europe or even Calgary and Edmonton. If we are fully grade separating why not just do the REM?

Suddenly? This has been in the cards for 20 years now.

Dan

I do not recall grade separations occurring on even the minor cross streets, I certainly don't see the value in spending 100ish million per separation to save a little idling time and not really improve transit service at all

By not being full grade separation, I meant that the line is not being made entirely elevated like a subway line. It runs on the surface most of the time and separating neighbourhoods. It is being grade separated only at the major streets. So I don't agree that overspending is happening here.

I do not recall grade separations occurring on even the minor cross streets, I certainly don't see the value in spending 100ish million per separation to save a little idling time and not really improve transit service at all

GO started making noise internally about the number of grade crossings on the line in the early 2000s, after the layover at Lincolnville was opened and they were able to really start ramping up the service levels at rush hours. And even before then, there were several reports dating to the early 1980s from many sources (not the least of which was one commissioned by Transport Canada) about the number of level crossings on the line, and the potential danger that they cause with reference to the number of trains running and projected to run.

A number of streets have always been on their "hit list" - Sheppard, Finch and Steeles especially, but also Danforth Road and Kennedy. The thought at that time was that the level crossings at the smaller streets such as Havendale would simply be closed when the time came that train traffic levels got so high as to make their use unwieldy by the residents nearby. Thankfully, saner heads have since prevailed and it is acknowledged that something more than simply shutting down the smaller crossings needs to be done.

Dan

is that... is that not essentially what we're doing?

No, the projects serve regional traffic but they do it in very different ways. One of the best things about traditional rail is that you can have grade crossings, so you don't *need* to spend so much closing each and every crossing.

GO started making noise internally about the number of grade crossings on the line in the early 2000s, after the layover at Lincolnville was opened and they were able to really start ramping up the service levels at rush hours. And even before then, there were several reports dating to the early 1980s from many sources (not the least of which was one commissioned by Transport Canada) about the number of level crossings on the line, and the potential danger that they cause with reference to the number of trains running and projected to run.

A number of streets have always been on their "hit list" - Sheppard, Finch and Steeles especially, but also Danforth Road and Kennedy. The thought at that time was that the level crossings at the smaller streets such as Havendale would simply be closed when the time came that train traffic levels got so high as to make their use unwieldy by the residents nearby. Thankfully, saner heads have since prevailed and it is acknowledged that something more than simply shutting down the smaller crossings needs to be done.

Dan

I wouldn't argue Danforth or Finch, but streets like Passmore are minor and money spent on grade separating them could be much better spent on a number of things. Even at frequent service levels on minor streets European style grade crossings seems much more logical.

Basically, there's nothing good about spending money that would be better spent elsewhere.

Here is some commentary that came my way as a year-end look at things related to the USRC. Certainly a lot has been going on.

I posted some other commentary in the Union Station Redevelopment thread, the text below deals mostly with track and infrastructure rather than the depot itself.
One hopes that the COVID pause helped this work get done faster and cheaper.
I presume the "we/our" in the text is Metrolinx speaking.

- Paul

Don Yard
Don Yard Upgrade & Expansion project is completed. Combined with the soon to begin construction on
Wilson Yard, the combined facilities will be necessary infrastructure in meeting future network service
requirements by providing faster, more reliable and more frequent service to our GO customers.

Wilson Yard
The Wilson Yard Train Storage Expansion construction project will soon be underway and is necessary
infrastructure to meet future GO passenger service requirements and increased access to the East Rail
Corridor. Early works including site clearing will begin in 2021. Metrolinx is coordinating efforts with the
City, Hydro One and Waterfront Toronto to minimize construction impacts in the area. Updates and
work impacts will be shared with the community as they become available.

USEP Package 1 (USEP1) Alliance is slated to commence construction fall 2021. Scope includes two (2)
newly aligned tracks to facilitate faster passenger train speeds up to 45mph, two (2) new expanded
passenger platforms with canopy infrastructure, and the addition of a new south concourse providing a
mid-block connection between York Street and Bay Street, and connecting north into existing York, VIA,
and Bay concourses. Future proofing for level-boarding of trains, stormwater management, and other
necessary building systems will be incorporated to ensure improvements suffice needs well into the
future. More information is available on our website and further communication is planned for next year.

Union Station East Track Enhancement Project
The Union Station East Track Enhancement early works continue with focus on the south side of the
Sherbourne and Jarvis Street bridges, to accommodate additional tracks and future access to the Wilson
Yard. More information on this will be available in 2021.

USRC Signalling System Project Overview
The USRC Signalling System Project (USRC SSP) is part of Metrolinx Signalling and Train Control
Improvement Program designed to improve reliability of our signalling and train control systems, and will
replace the functionality of locally controlled towers at Cherry, Scott and John Streets. Considerable early
works constructing caissons and laying/burying new cable has been completed this year. Signal bridges at
various locations within the Union Station Rail Corridor are scheduled for construction beginning Summer
of 2021 with construction and enabling works estimated to be completed late 2022. Once completed, the
new signalling system will reduce signal disruptions and recovery times while allowing operations to be
under one control centre, thereby providing a more effective service.

Ontario Line Early Works in USRCE
Work associated with the Ontario Line, overlapping the USRCE, will continue with geotechnical drilling
and surveying into 2021. Early works construction will also begin in 2021, when teams begin work on the
Lower Don Bridge modifications, station work, utility relocations and rail corridor expansion from Eastern
to Logan Avenue. Major construction for the rest of the project (including the Corktown Station and the
Don Yard portals) will begin in 2023. Additional reports will also be released next year, including the
Environmental Impact Assessment and Early Works Reports, which will detail potential impacts of the
project and mitigation measures Metrolinx will deploy. For more information, feel free to reach out via
email (OntarioLine@Metrolinx.com) or consider signing up for the Ontario Line e-newsletter to receive
project updates.

New Generator Project
To accommodate future development and expansion of Union Station while also ensuring Union Station
remains fully operational in the event of a significant power outage, a new emergency generator has been
installed east of the Scott Street Tower with a substation in the Bay East Teamway. Works associated
included a new condenser unit on the Union Station train shed roof and the restoration of the Yonge
Street bridge trainman’s walkway. The electrical power distribution system has been started-up; the
remaining architectural works is anticipated to be completed by the end of March 2021. Metrolinx
appreciates the continued patience and understanding of neighbouring condo communities while this
work comes to a close.

Union Station Rail Corridor Maintenance work impacts
Track maintenance by its nature is ongoing and at times unable to be prescheduled. As safety remains our
top priority work crews continually assess the condition of rails, joints, ballasts and frogs, and in some
cases emergency work must be performed. Over the summer 2020 there were over 1000 track ties
replaced at various locations between Jarvis and Cherry Streets, track replacements over the Sherbourne
Street Bridge. In most areas impacted areas had not been replaced for over forty years, and work was
long overdue and necessary.

What’s on track for 2020 (sic - I'm guessing they mean 2021) maintenance work impacts is projected to include surfacing, track panel
replacement and another allotment of 1000 track ties at various locations that need replacement. Work
impacts schedules will be communicated in advance to neighbouring communities.

Here is some commentary that came my way as a year-end look at things related to the USRC. Certainly a lot has been going on.
There was a similar post at the end of last year, in the USRC thread - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-rail-corridor-improvements.27629

Read here for comparison - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-rail-corridor-improvements.27629/post-1512654

What is Metrolinx referring to as Wilson Yard? It's somewhere near Don Yard, east of Union from context. But I'm scratching my head. Is it just a reference to the 3 old tracks south of the Don Yard?

There was a similar post at the end of last year, in the USRC thread - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-rail-corridor-improvements.27629

Read here for comparison - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/union-station-rail-corridor-improvements.27629/post-1512654

What is Metrolinx referring to as Wilson Yard? It's somewhere near Don Yard, east of Union from context. But I'm scratching my head. Is it just a reference to the 3 old tracks south of the Don Yard?
South of the Don Yard
1609949147053.png

Hopefully the yard gets renamed afterwards! Not very well known under that name.

Gosh, I wasn't aware of that plan ... with all that extra storage, it does make the controversial one additional storage space up the Don Valley near Bloor seem unnecessary. You'd think it simpler to squeeze one extra spot in this very uncontroversial area.

^ I think part of the issue is where the Wilson Yard is located vs the Richmond Hill Layover in the Don Valley. Wilson's on the south side of the existing tracks and Richmond Hill is on the north side. If you look through the material for the Union Station Rail Corridor East Project, the location difference matters. They want to reduce crossover movements and have certain needs for cycling certain lines. See slide 13 here from this site.

In other words, the Richmond Hill Layover being located on the north side may strategically benefit the Richmond Hill and Barrie Lines since they branch out from the north sides.

The Richmond Hill Layover also might be needed now because they aren't going to extend track E0 after hearing concerns from local residents who live along the track. This is speculation on my part. @smallspy or @crs1026 may have a view.

Last edited:
The land used for these layovers is prime land. It may not be that valuable now but in 20 years it will be. It might be a good idea to build over these layovers like Hudson Yards. I am sure no one will spend money to build a park over them so I am fine with buildings.

Back