News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 463     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

It's a bit crazy that both GO and TTC have a Wilson Yard. Yes, the downtown one should definitely get renamed.
I don't see how it matters - one is a railroad name, and the other is not. They are served by entirely different agencies whose operations don't interact directly.

Hell, if you want to be really pedantic about it the TTC has three different "Wilson" facilities, and yet no one ever seems to get confused by them.

Dan

^ I think part of the issue is where the Wilson Yard is located vs the Richmond Hill Layover in the Don Valley. Wilson's on the south side of the existing tracks and Richmond Hill is on the north side. If you look through the material for the Union Station Rail Corridor East Project, the location difference matters. They want to reduce crossover movements and have certain needs for cycling certain lines. See slide 13 here from this site.

In other words, the Richmond Hill Layover being located on the north side may strategically benefit the Richmond Hill and Barrie Lines since they branch out from the north sides.

The Richmond Hill Layover also might be needed now because they aren't going to extend track E0 after hearing concerns from local residents who live along the track. This is speculation on my part. @smallspy or @crs1026 may have a view.

It would be neat if they could add a duck-under from the RH line to an extra storage track or two on the north end of the Wilson yard, but of course everything's possible on a 2D map. :) (Also, flooding...)

^ True, but in addition to the cost and geometry, the Ontario Line portal also provides a challenge :)
When i first saw the designs for the portal last year my first thought was "well there goes GO expansion plans" how do you build 2 portals right before the bridge while keeping all 3, (aren't they building/using a 4th track at some point?) tracks in service all day. and this is the corridor that is apparently supporting both LSE and Stouffville's 15 minute all day service

^ True, but in addition to the cost and geometry, the Ontario Line portal also provides a challenge :)

I've been ignoring the Ontario Line thread because it grows too fast, just keeping on top of the VIA one is enough. Consequently, I have no idea where that line is headed, or how. :)

I'm very excited to be working under the first Alliance-contracting model for major transit projects in Canada to deliver the Union Station Expansion Project (USEP) in the City of Toronto.

So, what is an Alliance? How does it yield successful results?

Where a traditional delivery model focuses on minimizing and transferring risk between parties, in an alliance-contracting model the owner, designer, contractor work together in a transparent and collaborative environment where all participants are driving towards shared outcomes. There is equal sharing of both risk and opportunity between all parties that minimizes adversarial zero-sum dynamics. This prioritizes the need for increased flexibility, efficiency, and strong relationship-building early in the design process.

The Alliance model could be a game changer that positively shapes decision-making within the Planning and Development industry for owner-operator, design, and construction stakeholders in Canada. More to come...

Post links to this post:

Seriously, most of the landing page is pure fluff - it begins with the first sentence:

"Toronto is more than a city. It’s an idea." .
No Toronto is not an "idea".:rolleyes:

There’s so much to love about this multi-pronged project.
Like how long it has been, and will remain under construction?

Metrolinx cringy garbage talk - just stick with the facts instead of saccharine emotional manipulation FFS. Did they not learn from that infamous UP Express video?

AoD

Last edited:

Back