News   May 27, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 862     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 4.9K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

And then there's the fact that the $7m this would cost, assuming it were not paid for by service cuts, would result in fare increases.
Or an increased subsidy. Though private companies do things like this too, because it increases consumer confidence, ridership, and profit. So perhaps it wouldn't cost $7-million.

I suppose if they are desperate, they can get rid of some of those over-priced consultants.

After reading Bruce McQuaig's comment that a refund might only be available to Presto users, perhaps it's a combined effort to ensure riders sign up!

After reading Bruce McQuaig's comment that a refund might only be available to Presto users, perhaps it's a combined effort to ensure riders sign up!
The irony is that when GO issues a refund currently because of Presto problems, they mail you a credit note - rather than simply adding it to your card.

What's the current limit for GO Refunds. I've only ever had one really grossly late train, and they sent me a refund cheque when I complained. So it's not like they are doing anything new here - just formalizing an existing procedure.

A couple weeks ago, the Barrie Train on friday (at 4:40, I think) was delayed for an hour because of construction, and they issued everyone a trip refund. I believe it was an on-the-spot voucher.

With trains on a private ROW, you can reasonable garentee arrivals. With roads and congestion, you can't, so bus-riders are second-class customers by default.

As a daily GO bus rider, I fully understand this. My commutes are taking an extra half an hour a day right now compared to a month ago, due to increased congestion on the 401 (more people driving due to nice weather?). But SOME delays are due to things that are under GO's control, which is why I set up my earlier example the way it was. Making a categorical "train riders get compensation while bus riders do not", while ignoring the actual cause of the delay, would simply be discrimination against bus riders.

As a daily GO bus rider, I fully understand this. My commutes are taking an extra half an hour a day right now compared to a month ago, due to increased congestion on the 401 (more people driving due to nice weather?). But SOME delays are due to things that are under GO's control, which is why I set up my earlier example the way it was. Making a categorical "train riders get compensation while bus riders do not", while ignoring the actual cause of the delay, would simply be discrimination against bus riders.

I think the increased congestion has to do with the construction season in full affect now. In the summer typically there are less people driving on the roads (on account of family vacations, etc). Or so I've been told.

I think the increased congestion has to do with the construction season in full affect now. In the summer typically there are less people driving on the roads (on account of family vacations, etc). Or so I've been told.

You're probably right that construction has something to do with it at least in the mornings, but I can't see where it could be causing increased congestion homebound for me in the afternoon.

It's not summer yet, so I hope that the situation will improve in the next few weeks as schools let out and those vacations start.

You're probably right that construction has something to do with it at least in the mornings, but I can't see where it could be causing increased congestion homebound for me in the afternoon.

It's not summer yet, so I hope that the situation will improve in the next few weeks as schools let out and those vacations start.

I've taken the GO bus from Toronto to Hamilton in the morning, and the reverse in the afternoon rush hour, for the past three and a half years. Contrary to what I would have expected (due to bad weather in the winter), the average commute time has been consistently longer in the summer than in the winter. I wonder if there are traffic count statistics available that are categorized according to the time of year...

Barrie Line Getting Extra Trips in Fall

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...arrie-line-with-more-service-new-station?bn=1

GO Transit is launching more service on its Barrie train line starting in September, Ontario Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne announced Wednesday.

There will be another morning and evening train daily to serve 650 more commuters on the line that already attracts 12,000 riders a day.

“But I think the numbers will go way beyond that. Every time we expand service, the ridership outstrips the service,†said Wynne.

Barrie will also get another station in the fall. The Allandale station on the waterfront will provide 240 more parking spots, in addition to the 620 at the Barrie south station.

“People in Barrie have come alive to transit. It’s not a place that transit has been historically important. They see it as very much the future. I think they’ve got quite a vision,†said Wynne.

Although the additional trip is good news, local councillors are already clamouring for weekend service, something that isn’t yet scheduled, she said.

Since it restored the Barrie service in 2007, GO has been running eight trains a day up the line — four in each direction. The trip takes about 1 hour and 50 minutes with stops

The Barrie train was cut in 1993 but has exceeded ridership expectations since GO re-launched the commuter service.

Exactly What I was Hoping For All Along! I can't believe it! So Thrilled!!!

I had no idea the Barrie trip took almost 2 hours! I know at the end of my 45 - 48 minute GO train ride I am itching to stand up and get moving...can't imagine what I would feel like if it still had an hour to go!

Good for those 12k people that there is another tirp being added......but I can't imagine that this line is slated for weekend service.

I had no idea the Barrie trip took almost 2 hours! I know at the end of my 45 - 48 minute GO train ride I am itching to stand up and get moving...can't imagine what I would feel like if it still had an hour to go!

Good for those 12k people that there is another tirp being added......but I can't imagine that this line is slated for weekend service.

Try being on a train for 12 hours!
When I went to Italy I took a train from Bologna to Lamezia Terme (in Calabria); I took the InterCity train which makes major and some local stops.. I must have walked the length of the train 5 times from boredom!

Try being on a train for 12 hours!
When I went to Italy I took a train from Bologna to Lamezia Terme (in Calabria); I took the InterCity train which makes major and some local stops.. I must have walked the length of the train 5 times from boredom!

I don't mean to minimize your discomfort on that trip (I can feel it through the keyboard ;) ) but that sounds like a one-off "on vacation" type trip....these Barrie commuters are riding 1 hour and 50 minutes each way each and every day! 5 work days a week means they spend 18 hours and 20 minutes a week on GO trains! (assuming no delays). If they work 48 weeks a year that is nearly 880 hours a year (36 days and 16 hours a year......so those 4 weeks of the year that I assumed they are not working better be fun....cause to earn them they are spending over 7 workweeks on a train!!!)

I don't mean to minimize your discomfort on that trip (I can feel it through the keyboard ;) ) but that sounds like a one-off "on vacation" type trip....these Barrie commuters are riding 1 hour and 50 minutes each way each and every day! 5 work days a week means they spend 18 hours and 20 minutes a week on GO trains! (assuming no delays). If they work 48 weeks a year that is nearly 880 hours a year (36 days and 16 hours a year......so those 4 weeks of the year that I assumed they are not working better be fun....cause to earn them they are spending over 7 workweeks on a train!!!)

Oh I know! I just wanted to share that story, funny though, I've done that route a grand total of 6 times (the last 3 times I went to Italy; return trips). But I know exactly what you mean; and you discredited delays, could you imagine how much worse the travel time is with delays?

For a line that has consistently ranked tops when it comes to annual percentage ridership increases, I should hope it is slated for all day/weekend service some time in the not so distant future. Whether such service would make it all the way up to Barrie is another matter.

Back