News   Apr 19, 2024
 278     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 611     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

You can disagree all you want but if it helps with providing better service I don't see why that's a problem. Maybe they can build a coffee shop or something in the station's. Vending machines would be a good start.

a) Why would it result in better service?

b) Durham College is a government-funded entity, so this is money from one government agency being fed to another.

You can disagree all you want but if it helps with providing better service I don't see why that's a problem. Maybe they can build a coffee shop or something in the station's. Vending machines would be a good start.
I’m sure needing to replace over 900 maps and station wayfinding, as well as confusing customers isn’t worth the few extra thousands of dollars they got for it.

Where does it stop? Will this be the GO map in 15 years?
1AFD72C1-D7D0-422A-A6DE-DC2ECFEBAC9B.jpeg

We don't sponsor police stations or fire houses. We sponsor hospitals and transit vehicles, putting private entity names on infrastructure while providing a tiny amount of the costs, and print ads on the back of library receipts and linking out from the library catalogue to remind patrons they are sponging off the taxpayers when they could be making Heather Reisman richer.

What we deem must be sponsored/fundraised and what is paid from taxes without question says a lot about our society.

Bus wraps have never been credited for improving service. All they do is wreck the customer experience.

If naming rights brought in real money, Philadelphia would have great transit service.

Bus wraps have never been credited for improving service. All they do is wreck the customer experience.

If naming rights brought in real money, Philadelphia would have great transit service.
At least that Wawa station worked out. 🙄

At least that Wawa station worked out. 🙄

That was a rare example of a naming rights that kinda worked. Wawa (the chain of convenience stores and gas stations in Eastern Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and Metro Washington, not the town in Northern Ontario) is headquartered in the community of Wawa, PA, and so the only thing different about that new station is that it’s the Wawa goose logo accompanying the station name that is located in Wawa, PA.

I was thinking more about NRG Station (formerly AT&T Station, and originally Patterson Station) and Jefferson Station (formerly Market East Station).

We don't sponsor police stations or fire houses. We sponsor hospitals and transit vehicles, putting private entity names on infrastructure while providing a tiny amount of the costs, and print ads on the back of library receipts and linking out from the library catalogue to remind patrons they are sponging off the taxpayers when they could be making Heather Reisman richer.

What we deem must be sponsored/fundraised and what is paid from taxes without question says a lot about our society.
Perfectly captured. This isn't as directly impactful as service suspensions (which governments across Ontario have loved using COVID as an excuse for), but it makes people angry because it rubs it in their face how venal and corrupt the provincial government is, and how the corruption runs so deep, it's simply done out in public and made explicit.

Railways are subject to property tax
I had always wondered about this! Do you know if there are any public records available for how much and how these property taxes are administered? And how far does it extend to "all the railways" - for example, does MX pay property tax to municipalities?

I had always wondered about this! Do you know if there are any public records available for how much and how these property taxes are administered? And how far does it extend to "all the railways" - for example, does MX pay property tax to municipalities?
See Table 1 on Page 2 and the notes thereunder.

As a general rule, levels of government don't tax other levels of government, but make 'payments in lieu'. It's a little weird. When I was working as a provincial government employee, we were expected to seek exemption from GST, and business owners would say 'so, they want you to pay your own government's tax, but not the federal one'. I have to admit that, rom the outside looking in, it seems odd.

Back