News   Apr 16, 2024
 368     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 385     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 744     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Really glad I transferred from the Niagara train to the express bus today. We beat the train by a full hour!View attachment 412556

As of 12:15 that train was just approaching St Catherines.

Screenshot_20220709-121646_Chrome.jpg

That long of a delay wasn't cause of heavy customer volume. We were only 10 minutes late at Burlington due to heavy customer volume and then it jumped to over an hour after that. I guess maybe that 10 minute delay had ripple effects.

^all the more reason CN/GO should get serious about a tunnel or higher bridge over the canal.
I think that is a bit extreme. How about just ensuring that the bridge is in good condition? They should have given people the choice to get off at Burlington and wait for a bus that has capacity to get to Niagara falls.

Running trains to Oriole GO and having busses meet there could be a solution. Let people off on the street and they can walk to the station. Trains can be run every 30 min and they own that corridor so it wouldn't be an issue.

How about Etobicoke North? Could you terminate GO buses there? Or run trains express from Bramelea?

I think that is a bit extreme. How about just ensuring that the bridge is in good condition? They should have given people the choice to get off at Burlington and wait for a bus that has capacity to get to Niagara falls.

Mx literally just indicated they don't have sufficient buses/operators to deal with a 1,500 person train being replaced. That would require more than 30 buses.

Running trains to Oriole GO and having busses meet there could be a solution. Let people off on the street and they can walk to the station. Trains can be run every 30 min and they own that corridor so it wouldn't be an issue.

What does a station on the Richmond Hill Line at Sheppard have to do w/this?

There’s no way there’d be a bus with enough capacity between Burlington and Niagara Falls for the number of people that ride that train.

St. Catharines to Niagara Falls would be easier, especially if GO wrangled up some spare local transit buses. St. Catharines has a few artics for the busy university runs.

I think the message that “you’re on your own” is pretty shitty though.

Mx literally just indicated they don't have sufficient buses/operators to deal with a 1,500 person train being replaced. That would require more than 30 buses.

What does a station on the Richmond Hill Line at Sheppard have to do w/this?
For buses that can't make it downtown. You can short turn them and have shuttle trains to union.

As for fixes to the Seaway bridge problem, I mentioned several above, including:

- A new GO Station and bus loop at Merritton, which is closer to the canal and easier to access by bus than the awkwardly located St. Catharines Station.

Had the train terminated at Merriton, the Lock 3 viewing deck and local museum and chip wagon and ice cream vendor could have been an alternative for some disappointed families, provided they planned to walk around when they got to Niagara Falls. (It’d be a 30 minute walk.)

- A second bridge, similar to the arrangement with the Victoria Bridge over the St. Lawrence River.

- A raised rail corridor starting at Highway 406, beginning the climb up the escarpment farther west. This would be the most expensive option, but likely worth it in the long run.

-

Imagine being a tourist and seeing this… like sure they’ll just somehow “make their own way there”.
F4A48B95-C4F3-4943-906A-1C53E2651D3F.jpeg

Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow. I'm surprised that there isn't a manual way to lower the bridge.

Look at what happened at Cherry Street. Depending on how badly it's busted this could take weeks.

I suspected given that it is an international rail connection, it will be prioritized.

Reactions: PL1

Back