News   Mar 28, 2024
 933     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 533     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Do you mean a literal tablet with a screen? Because that’s not how they control the doors; or is that some other way to say the physical control panel on the doors. Because they also had a control panel in the upper level on Series I-V coaches:View attachment 412172
Today the CSA has a tablet style device in the accessibility coach on the lower floor. They have a small desk there. The question I have is before those times how did they decide which doors open? I'm surprised that they kept those coms in place even though they are not used through the rebuild process.

Today the CSA has a tablet style device in the accessibility coach on the lower floor. They have a small desk there. The question I have is before those times how did they decide which doors open? I'm surprised that they kept those coms in place even though they are not used through the rebuild process.
The tablet replaces the reams of paper that they had to use in their day-to-day operations. For instance, there used to be a 10+ page document that each CSA received before each shift to tell them about any potential issues during their day, such as platform problems or spotting locations.

Comms are used to communicate with the head end.

The tablet is not used to actually activate the operation of the doors. The control panels at the A-end doors of the accessible car are used, as that way the CSA can put out the accessible ramp and monitor all of the doors along the length of the train.

Dan

( if I recall more trips occur between kitchener guelph than kitchener to any gta city)
If this is true that makes it even more insane that GO offers absolutely no direct service between Kitchener and Guelph other than the limited weekday-only trains...

The weekend day passes are great for enticing ridership back - but on weekends, the Lakeshore trains are packed, and they’re still running every half hour only. Given the reduced service, and the goodwill the passes provide (as long as you know about them) I think it’s worthwhile, at least until the fall. At that point, could hike it to $15 from $10.

Maybe there’s a case for a temporary weekday pass as well, where there’s likely more spare capacity than weekends these days.
Just like what was said above, the Lakeshore Trains usually aren’t that packed. I tend to walk through all 10 or 12 cars of each train because I enjoy doing it, the cars closest to the locomotive usually ranging from 1-4 are very quiet; and even on busy Niagara trains you will find them far emptier than you’d think.
I’ve only had one time where this wasn’t the case, and it was the very first Niagara train after the 6 month hiatus.

I don't see why that's a bad thing. Think about this for a second, if you drive that bus downtown and you spend 30min going and 30min comming back.

If every trip was delayed 30min the schedule would be out of wack or you would need at least one standby bus per departure for those routes.

That's 3-6 extra buses, and operators. Not to mention the fuel and OT you may need to pay to cover those costs.

Let's say it costs an extra $100 per hour per bus. 6 buses is $600 per hour multiplied by 12 hour shift. Basically to have busses stuck in traffic going nowhere.

How does that make sense?

They should do that for other routes as well. Post COVID rush hour has gone from 6 hours a day to besically 12. Your typical work day is not 9-5 which makes travel more spread out.

It's only going to get worse.

I don't see why that's a bad thing. Think about this for a second, if you drive that bus downtown and you spend 30min going and 30min comming back.

If every trip was delayed 30min the schedule would be out of wack or you would need at least one standby bus per departure for those routes.

That's 3-6 extra buses, and operators. Not to mention the fuel and OT you may need to pay to cover those costs.

Let's say it costs an extra $100 per hour per bus. 6 buses is $600 per hour multiplied by 12 hour shift. Basically to have busses stuck in traffic going nowhere.

How does that make sense?

They should do that for other routes as well. Post COVID rush hour has gone from 6 hours a day to besically 12. Your typical work day is not 9-5 which makes travel more spread out.

It's only going to get worse.
I don’t mean that its a bad thing that these Union buses getting detoured to other locations (in fact that does benefit some passengers a bit), but they didn’t even bother to try to combat a solution to allow a more efficient and reliable infrastructure in and out of the terminal. I could maybe get that implementing bus lanes on Harbour/Lake Shore would be difficult, but why not build more than one entrance or locate the bus terminal somewhere where there isn’t much traffic. The older terminal on Bay still had traffic but didn’t have massive backup just getting inside like we do now with this new one.

I don’t mean that its a bad thing that these Union buses getting detoured to other locations (in fact that does benefit some passengers a bit), but they didn’t even bother to try to combat a solution to allow a more efficient and reliable infrastructure in and out of the terminal. I could maybe get that implementing bus lanes on Harbour/Lake Shore would be difficult, but why not build more than one entrance or locate the bus terminal somewhere where there isn’t much traffic. The older terminal on Bay still had traffic but didn’t have massive backup just getting inside like we do now with this new one.
The area immediately around the terminal is a problem but there is construction going on which limits the number of lanes available. They should have stricter rules on how long they can block traffic or something to ensure construction is done in a timely manner.

However the path to and from downtown is also an issue. I think they are at least taking measures to prevent delays.

Better than the way the TTC manages anything. With zero communication about delays.

The other problem is getting the message to customers when there’s a major cellular service disruption.

The bus reroutings to Port Credit or Highway 407 are a problem. The Kitchener Line buses must backtrack a significant distance to Port Credit, and with only 30 minute service on the Lakeshore Line, it’s not a convenient connection. It can add 45 minutes to an hour to a trip. At Highway 407, the connecting service is better, but it’s slower.

The other problem is getting the message to customers when there’s a major cellular service disruption.

The bus reroutings to Port Credit or Highway 407 are a problem. The Kitchener Line buses must backtrack a significant distance to Port Credit, and with only 30 minute service on the Lakeshore Line, it’s not a convenient connection. It can add 45 minutes to an hour to a trip. At Highway 407, the connecting service is better, but it’s slower.
I fully agree with this. The Kitchener line buses (more like Guelph/Georgetown/Bramalea), going to Port Credit shows that GO should really put their pride aside and allow their buses to service a station within Toronto proper in situations like these. I'm sure the trip would be a much better experience if we dropped passengers off at Kipling, Weston or even Long Branch as they're all along the same direction heading towards downtown and have alternative options just in case if there’s a long wait time to get a train.

I fully agree with this. The Kitchener line buses (more like Guelph/Georgetown/Bramalea), going to Port Credit shows that GO should really put their pride aside and allow their buses to service a station within Toronto proper in situations like these. I'm sure the trip would be a much better experience if we dropped passengers off at Kipling, Weston or even Long Branch as they're all along the same direction heading towards downtown and have alternative options just in case if there’s a long wait time to get a train.
GO Transit really has an aversion to serving their Toronto stations with buses. Even during disruptions they just assume everyone can take the TTC and go straight to the 905. This is also frustrating during late night Train-Bus service.

One problem is that none of the GO rail stations within Toronto - with the possible exception of Rouge Hill - have useful bus loops. This is a symptom of GO and TTC never integrating with each other (service or fare wise).

There’s Kipling, Finch, and Yorkdale, but only Kipling is anywhere near a rail bus service.

One problem is that none of the GO rail stations within Toronto - with the possible exception of Rouge Hill - have useful bus loops. This is a symptom of GO and TTC never integrating with each other (service or fare wise).

There’s Kipling, Finch, and Yorkdale, but only Kipling is anywhere near a rail bus service.

Yep. I'd love to see someone drive a bus into Danforth GO. I'll record it for Youtube.

Exhibition GO might be able to emergency bus connections but that would be a pain in the ass. It wouod involve using the TTC loop.

Really glad I transferred from the Niagara train to the express bus today. We beat the train by a full hour!
Screenshot_20220709-103949_Chrome.png

Back