News   Mar 28, 2024
 22     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I believe that is another mistake that got implemented into GO’s schedule just like the 30 min off peak trains to Bramalea, which either means that is also coming soon in like January, or it really was mistakenly added for some questionable reason, which i doubt. I‘m surprised to see these future changes getting leaked like this as GO and transit in general isn’t really known for that.
This was showing on the platform screens

Anyone know if there is any particular operational reason Go is using a double header consist for the London trains, (locomotive 558 and 561 to be exact)

I really don't follow service changes closely and was at Bloor Station to see a change I knew would happen one day in place. When did GO start to have some trains stopping at Bloor for the Milton Line as it show 2 Milton trains stopping with Bramalea and Brampton as next stop as well an express train bypassing it???

The trains were to use Platform 3. There is a switch north of Wallace walkway that allows this move.

I expect Platform 4 will be built once the construction of the tower on the west side is completed in 2022 as there is room for it.
According to recent Google Maps imagery there isn’t a switch from the track that serves the furthest west platform to the Milton Line track(s). I’m not sure how Milton Line trains could serve Bloor GO? Was one installed recently?

Anyone know if there is any particular operational reason Go is using a double header consist for the London trains, (locomotive 558 and 561 to be exact)
Maybe it's to aid on-time performance through better acceleration? You would be surprised how much travel time represents the difference between once loco and six cars (which has the same power-to-weight ratio as 2 locos+12 cars) and the same loco with twelve cars...

According to recent Google Maps imagery there isn’t a switch from the track that serves the furthest west platform to the Milton Line track(s). I’m not sure how Milton Line trains could serve Bloor GO? Was one installed recently?
There is no such connection between the Galt Sub and any platform track at Bloor, to the best of my knowledge...

When did GO start to have some trains stopping at Bloor for the Milton Line as it show 2 Milton trains stopping with Bramalea and Brampton as next stop as well an express train bypassing it???
MALTON, not Milton. They mistakenly put Malton as the destination for the westbound trips which terminate at Bramalea. I noticed this in the GTFS data yesterday.

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
Which makes you wonder at how much projected delay at Kitchener is the cut-off for sending 3960's equipment as 3760 instead...

The majority (15 minutes) of these delays were caused by a CP train blocking the diamond in London, so unrelated with freight traffic on the Guelph Subdivision itself:

Well today the train was delayed again in London, and the destination has already been changed from Union Station to Kitchener GO before the train has even reached St Marys. I assume this is a dummy change which makes it easier for them to swap consists on the runs east of Kitchener.
Capture1.JPG

Don't mind the mislabeled Stratford station...

UPDATE: a half hour later, the station labels have been corrected but now the line is missing west of Kitchener... I think someone's fixing stuff as we speak.

Capture3.JPG

UPDATE 2: Yep. Stations/line are all fixed now, and a new train is waiting in Kitchener to fill the 7:32 departure that should have been operated by the London train. But for some reason it's showing as 6 minutes late even though its scheduled departure time isn't for another 24 minutes.
Capture4.JPG

Universities don't start until 8:30 AM, so works very well for students who head to their parents for a few days, and then come back Monday morning in time for class.
When I did my undergrad at the University of Waterloo, hardly anything ever started at 8:30. Students and profs both avoid scheduling classes that early whenever possible. In first year many of my friends who were technically in the 8:30 statistics class would actually go to the afternoon lecture for the same course instead. Admittedly this only works in first year where there are multiple lectures for the same course. In later years I had a couple instances where the prof asked on the first day if anyone had a problem if we started at 9:00, and of course nobody objected.

In general, students are extremely reluctant to get up early. And parents wouldn't be thrilled to get up at 4AM on Monday morning to drive their kid to downtown London to catch the train either. I did once take the first GO train of the day while I was studying in Waterloo, but that was because I stayed up late, not because I woke up early.

The only way GO will capture any "going home to London for the weekend" demand is if they run an eastbound trip on Sunday afternoon.

Lol nuts. The via station does have a small lot, couldn’t riders use that?
Sure, if they're willing to pay an additional $16/day in addition to their train tickets.

Last edited:

Protection. The train now operates so far away from GO's core network that there is a legitimate concern that should the train crap out that it would take several hours to source the buses to rescue the passengers. A second locomotive added to the consist should ensure that only in the most extreme of cases would a train not make it to its destination.

On top of that, Metrolinx has retained the services of two small Southwestern Ontario bus lines to provide buses on an emergency basis should the need arise, but their primary plans still call for the use of their own equipment and staff.

One has not been installed, nor are there plans for that to ever happen.

There are no plans to have platforms built for the Milton line tracks at Bloor, either.

Dan

Protection. The train now operates so far away from GO's core network that there is a legitimate concern that should the train crap out that it would take several hours to source the buses to rescue the passengers. A second locomotive added to the consist should ensure that only in the most extreme of cases would a train not make it to its destination.
That would be a similar reasoning as for why VIA always has two units on its Winnipeg-Churchill service, since the lack of road coverage would only leave helicopters for evacuation...

Last edited:
Maybe it's to aid on-time performance through better acceleration? You would be surprised how much travel time represents the difference between once loco and six cars (which has the same power-to-weight ratio as 2 locos+12 cars) and the same loco with twelve cars...

There is no such connection between the Galt Sub and any platform track at Bloor, to the best of my knowledge...
Your right.
As I was working on some photos last night I realizes that the switch is for the 2nd Milton tracks (5 & 6) and no connection to Track 4 for the Bloor station. The other thing I should have caught what the next 2 stations were as they are on the KW line, not Milton

As well most classes don't go past 6 pm so the train back makes sense for Friday night.
Unless it's changed since I was a student, classes end at 4:30 - other than the dreaded 6 pm to 9 pm evening spot - but I only ever had a couple of those over the years there.

That would be a similar reasoning as for why VIA always has two units on its Winnipeg-Churchill service, since the lack of road coverage would only leave helicopters for evacuation...
Gosh, does that mean VIA had to barge out TWO locomotives after the flooding and suspension of the line, with a train trapped in Churchill? Talk about bad luck ...

Last edited:

I was on the Algoma Central train heading back south from Hearst in 2014. The locomotive had a serious problem. Luckily, we were just approaching Oba, so we had a general CN freight locomotive stationed at the yard there to haul our disabled train the rest of the way back to Sault Ste. Marie.

I was on the Algoma Central train heading back south from Hearst in 2014. The locomotive had a serious problem. Luckily, we were just approaching Oba, so we had a general CN freight locomotive stationed at the yard there to haul our disabled train the rest of the way back to Sault Ste. Marie.
So I guess at that time CN operated both trains? So you didn't need a new crew to take you home?

So I guess at that time CN operated both trains? So you didn't need a new crew to take you home?

CN owned and operated the ACR since the mid 2000s. The slow ride into Oba and the switch of locomotives added time - a new relief crew met the train at Searchmont, so we were pretty late getting back into the Soo.

Why are there no plans for having Milton trains stop at Bloor station? Is it because that line already stops at Kipling station and anyone that wants to use subway can get off at Kipling?

Back