News   Apr 17, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 294     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So the new route 41 is 3 hours 10 minutes long, which is longer than Presto's trip window of 3 hours. How does that even work?
Gosh - Hamilton to Pickering via 407, UT Scarborough, and Scarborough Centre. I assume this is a brand-new route? https://www.gotransit.com/static_fi...Planning/FullSchedules/FS13022021/Table41.pdf

Over 3.5 hours for some peak trips.

GO has always been quite cognisant of this. I can only assume they've fixed the 3-hour window - at least for GO Buses.

I wouldn't think it hard to add some programming to Presto that if you first tap, after you've missed your 3-hour window is on the very same device that your previous tap was on, to just treat it as the tap-off of a single trip, rather than what it used to do (a penalty fare, and the start of a new trip).

The less transfers on any system,the better and the more appealing the service becomes. In general, people don't mind taking transit but they hate waiting for it and having to get on and off.

The less transfers on any system,the better and the more appealing the service becomes. In general, people don't mind taking transit but they hate waiting for it and having to get on and off.

As long as the 3-hour route through GTA in rush hour, doesn't become completely unpredictable, with 15-minute gaps become 2-hour gaps, for those going a relatively short distance.

And gosh ... how long a bus ride is okay, before you have a washroom on board? Looks like there's a 5-minute stop at 407-station. Run!

An amazingly long route - about an hour longer than VIA's Ottawa to Montreal service. Is it planned to continue post-Covid, or is this just temporary?

Last edited:
Liability and access...it's not more complicated than that. All the major utility providors (Enbridge, Hydro One, Bell/Rogers/Telus, etc) are like this, especially Enbridge and Hydro One because there's so much danger with their utilities. ,
This doesn't seem to be a problem elsewhere in the world. Have they actually produced any documentation that supports an absolute zero use requirement? "Liability" is a pretty opaque term and it sounds like they are hiding behind out of fear of some very far-fetched and near zero probability scenarios to get a tiny insurance discount. Like I bet they are more worried about lawsuits for car accidents or vehicle thefts on their property or something, not any specific danger form the actual utilities.

This doesn't seem to be a problem elsewhere in the world. Have they actually produced any documentation that supports an absolute zero use requirement? "Liability" is a pretty opaque term and it sounds like they are hiding behind out of fear of some very far-fetched and near zero probability scenarios to get a tiny insurance discount. Like I bet they are more worried about lawsuits for car accidents or vehicle thefts on their property or something, not any specific danger form the actual utilities.
This is pretty standard in Canada and the US, and yes, that's exactly what they're fearful of. Lawsuits for god knows what are very common here, so if some dumbass decides to drive into a tower, and something bad happens (Falling infrastructure, damage to a tower, or even just the driver complaining that it was in a bad location), you could very easily end up with Hydro One footing a bill they do not want to deal with. Same story with Enbridge; you would not believe the crap they have put me through.

All documentation is private, and of course work can commence in their rights of way, and some things have to go through their property (it happens all the time), but ultimately it's up to them whether or not to allow construction within their property. A bus terminal would just inhibit Hydro One's operations. Metrolinx could have easily just decided that making people walk 5 minutes was better than dealing with Hydro One on numerous issues, perhaps saving millions of dollars.

Does anyone have the pre-COVID schedule for the Lakeshore West line? We're moving to Oakville so one of us take the GO to Union while the other drives to Brantford.
We're thinking Oakville or Bronte GO are our best options with the express trains, but GO pulled all the express schedules due to COVID so we have no idea of the frequency or time schedules.

The expresses would run between about 6:30 and 8:30 in the morning, 4 trains per hour, and between 3:30 and 6:30 in the afternoon with about 3 per hour. Union to Oakville took around 30 minutes.

GO has rewritten its train schedules from scratch in the meantime, so the exact pre-covid departure times wouldn't be much use.

As for stopping patterns, the latest express design had stops at Clarkson and all stations west, though in the years past, some trains would skip Clarkson and some would stop at Port Credit as well.

Last edited:
January 5, 2019 schedule is here:

Wayback Machine (archive.org)

That of course is not indicative of what service will look like as ridership returns. My understanding is that schedules should be a few minutes faster in a few years as a few track and signal upgrades are completed as well. GO off peak services are running 2 minutes faster from Aldershot today than they did in 2019 for example (1:05 vs 1:07) - and more savings are expected as upgrades to the USRC signaling system are completed next year, allowing much faster travel into Union Station.

I've heard rumblings of starting to run "super express" services to Hamilton and Niagara as well, stopping only at major stations (Say, Union-Port Credit-Oakville-Burlington-Hamilton-local stops to Niagara Falls).

Last edited:
I've heard rumblings of starting to run "super express" services to Hamilton and Niagara as well, stopping only at major stations (Say, Union-Port Credit-Oakville-Burlington-Hamilton-local stops to Niagara Falls).
That would be great!

Back