News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Isn't that the same tracks that were accessible from the Bay East teamway previously - other than track 3, which I assume isn't seeing departures right now, and presumably will have an entrance added to the Bay East teamway when consruction finishes.

Seems more convenient to me. Shorter distance from bus bays to Bay East teamway, and now not outdoors. Perhaps more convoluted to get to UP platforms. To bad there wasn't a better connection from the York East teamway to the Skywalk - but that's a different issue really.

Yes, you're right, the change is marginal at best. I suppose I was most struck by the fact that you actually go through an unrelated building (or two unrelated buildings if you count CIBC Square) on your way between the bus terminal and any of the Union Station concourses (Bay, VIA, York or UP).

Is it actually common for people to transfer from GO Train to GO Bus at Union?

I don't know. I used to transfer at Union between the 16 Hamilton Express and the Lakeshore East train. But it sounds like the 16 will be replaced by a train rather than being revived, so that particular situation is probably irrelevant.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if a higher percentage of intercity bus passengers would transfer to a train than the percentage of passengers on GO route 21 Milton.

Last edited:
Annoying and preposterous virus safety theater that having free rides would encourage gatherings because we're supposed to believe the GO fare was the barrier preventing people from traveling on that night. No one who would choose to travel on New Years will change their plans because of this, but they might choose to drive now, even after a few drinks. Again, it's safety theater.

Which will make the police very busy that night.

Annoying and preposterous virus safety theater that having free rides would encourage gatherings because we're supposed to believe the GO fare was the barrier preventing people from traveling on that night. No one who would choose to travel on New Years will change their plans because of this, but they might choose to drive now, even after a few drinks. Again, it's safety theater.
You are arguing that the fare was not enough to change people's mind about going out, but is enough to encourage people to drive drunk? I can't agree with that at all.

Free rides sends out a terrible message. Celebrate virtually everyone!

With double-tracking well underway between Kennedy and Unionville, I've been wondering about what type of service the Stouffville Line will see when construction wraps up. Ridership will likely not have yet recovered from the ridership slump, so they probably wouldn't come right out with 15-minute service to Unionville. But on the other hand they would want to demonstrate their new infrastructure with some kind of service increase.

So my guess is that they will introduce an hourly service from Union to Unionville, in addition to the existing hourly service from Union to Mount Joy. Here's my stab what such a schedule could look like (full version here).

The assumed track configuration is full double track south of Unionville, and single track north of Unionville except for Mount Joy station, which would have two platforms. Schedule does not account for conflicts in the Lakeshore corridor or the USRC.
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

The most interesting thing I discovered here is that if a second platform is built at Mount Joy, it's possible to maintain hourly southbound service through the single-track Unionville-Mount Joy segment in the afternoon peak, while also running 3 trains per hour northbound. Ideally that platform would be completed around the same time as the Unionville-Kennedy upgrades, to resolve the current gap in southbound service between 15:35 and 19:35.

Last edited:
The most interesting thing I discovered here is that if a second platform is built at Mount Joy, it's possible to maintain hourly southbound service through the single-track Unionville-Mount Joy segment in the afternoon peak, while also running 3 trains per hour northbound. Ideally that platform would be completed around the same time as the Unionville-Kennedy upgrades, to resolve the current gap in southbound service between 15:35 and 19:35.

I have no idea what ridership will look like in the after times, but ridership has been growing more strongly at the stations north of Unionville, so I would hope all service would go to Mount Joy as much as capacity will allow.

I did it once when I worked at Square One. I went from Scarborough GO to Square One via Union.

I don't see it being a common transfer. If you are coming from outside the GTA on a GO train heading back out of the GTA it is easier to find a more direct route.
The weekends come to mind. It is way more common to transfer from the lakeshore lines to the kitchener corridor of buses during the weekends and vice versa

You only need 6 car trains on the Stouffville Line and Mount Pleasant for All Day hourly service 7 days a week with 15 minutes service at peak time once work is done on the Stouffville Line. In time, the hourly will drop to 30 and then 15 minutes.

When the line is electrify, most likely get away with 3 car EMU until ridership builds up to add another car or 2 off peak and weekends every 15-30 minutes.

At some point, the Stouffville Line will only be a Stouffville Line since electrify the Mount Pleasant line not in the cards any time soon unless battery power trains surface sooner than later.

When the line is electrify, most likely get away with 3 car EMU until ridership builds up to add another car or 2 off peak and weekends every 15-30 minutes.

I think a little 3-car EMU rolling up to Markham GO will be adorable, which will make people want to ride it and take photos, etc. One of my all-time favourite rail memories (I'm very casual at this, so excuse the poor terminology) was riding the Tarka Line in Devon, England. I wasn't sure what I expected when I arrived at Barnstable Station, near where we were staying with family, but it certainly wasn't a two-car train! It was beyond adorable. The seating was very tight for me, a 6ft man, but the countryside is spectacular and we had the joy of hearing the conductor explain to us, in a thick West Country accent, that we were momentarily stopped because of a cow on the tracks.

Cowley_Bridge_142009.jpg

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarka_Line

I just found a little tidbit in an article noting that Leslie Woo (former Chief Planning Officer at Metrolinx) is now CEO of CivicAction. Did a little investigation to find out that she left Metrolinx this past September 2020.

Good news in my books, the "rational" she used to justify the inclusion/omission of new GO stations was outright laughable and baffling. Actually i'll be more blunt, she had no idea what she was doing planning the construction of GO stations, and the Metrolinx analysis work for it was flawed under her watch.

I hope this is only because of reduced demand due to COVID. Before COVID, I used to take this train with my bike and then bike into the US to pick up Amazon packages and do some shopping. Did it in the winter when there wasn't snow on the ground and it was so convenient.

I hope this is only because of reduced demand due to COVID. Before COVID, I used to take this train with my bike and then bike into the US to pick up Amazon packages and do some shopping. Did it in the winter when there wasn't snow on the ground and it was so convenient.

Niagara is dead in the winter. With covid closing most things up there along with all the restrictions I can't see how it is viable to keep service running out there. It is expensive to run empty trains.

And the elevators are all out of service at Burlington. Brilliant.

I just found a little tidbit in an article noting that Leslie Woo (former Chief Planning Officer at Metrolinx) is now CEO of CivicAction. Did a little investigation to find out that she left Metrolinx this past September 2020.

Good news in my books, the "rational" she used to justify the inclusion/omission of new GO stations was outright laughable and baffling. Actually i'll be more blunt, she had no idea what she was doing planning the construction of GO stations, and the Metrolinx analysis work for it was flawed under her watch.

Yes the rationale for selecting GO stations was ridiculous, but was that actually her fault, or was it the politicians who were telling Metrolinx which stations to select based on their political value?

Back