News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

There is still room for AVs to lead to substantially improved level of service for public transit in terms of single-seat rides, higher average speed, etc.

Anyone knows when route 16 Toronto-Hamilton express bus returns?

It's disappointing to see this route not in operation. It's a fast route for passengers who don't want to go through stops and transfers.

Last edited:

It's disappointing to see this route not in operation. It's a fast route for passengers who don't want to go through stops and transfers.
I’ll give it until march or even worse, next September. It’s sad how the government thought that slower transit = better for this pandemic its just embarassing

I’ll give it until march or even worse, next September. It’s sad how the government thought that slower transit = better for this pandemic its just embarassing

When GO Transit decided what routes and schedules to cut, they made a conscious decision to ensure all corridors kept their spans of service, meaning that no route not duplicated by another would be cut, nor would low-ridership times suffer. So they decided to cut out the rush hour express trains, going back to hourly service on the Lakeshore Line, and eliminating many bus runs, especially the express variants, like the 25C, which was an express Waterloo-Square One bus that skipped all the annoying stops off the 401 and the Transitway. That also meant getting rid of the 16, as it offered an express variant of the train and train-meet service kept going.

GO Transit's ridership tanked harder than any of the other systems because of its focus on downtown core office commuters (where most workers are at home) and students. GO parking lots are mostly empty these days. I miss having the 16 and 25C, but I get why those aren't running right now.

I'm feeling like its horrifyingly likely that restoring service we had in February will be treated as "new", and that we've basically lost all the service improvements of the last few years more or less permanently.

The day we get the 40/47 to stop at aldershot, a waterloo region-hamilton connection, the 12B and 16 back, and a kitchener-guelph connection will probably be the best day ever but that would never happen would it?

The day we get the 40/47 to stop at aldershot, a waterloo region-hamilton connection, the 12B and 16 back, and a kitchener-guelph connection will probably be the best day ever but that would never happen would it?
That would be great if that happens so that people won't have to take the coach.

Guess which dummy forgot they cancelled the 25 branches on their way back from university, haha.

That being said, nearly every campus in the province is deserted, so a lot of the university-oriented bus services are cancelled for good reason.

There is a rumour going around that the 16 will be reinstated in January, but only on an "interim" basis.

The same rumour is claiming that there are long-term plans in play to completely revamp the route, which may or may not involve changing one or both of its endpoints.

Dan

There is a rumour going around that the 16 will be reinstated in January, but only on an "interim" basis.

The same rumour is claiming that there are long-term plans in play to completely revamp the route, which may or may not involve changing one or both of its endpoints.

Dan
changing end points defeats the purpose of the route entirely, no?

I mean if Hamilton gets all day GO service in a month or two like rumored, the bus becomes much less useful.. but still.

Once electrification is done and GO service more closely resembles that of an above ground subway system, it would be ideal to implement a midtown line. Stops that should be included: Kipling, Royal York, Runnymede, Keele, Dufferin, Spadina, Yonge, Millwood, Don Mills, Lawrence, Birchmount, and Neilson.

Back