News   Apr 18, 2024
 107     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 465     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Using Data from https://www.transsee.ca/ i made a velocity vs time chart for the 5:23AM-7:50AM Niagara Falls Go Train. Where it has negative velocity means the train is backing up at West Harbour Go. .

Niagara Falls - Union.png

Using Data from https://www.transsee.ca/ i made a velocity vs time chart for the 5:23AM-7:50AM Niagara Falls Go Train. Where it has negative velocity means the train is backing up at West Harbour Go. .

View attachment 226817

I take it the speed limit between St. Kitts and West Harbour never exceeds 100km/ph.

That's awful.

Were that speed limit sufficient to allow GO's typical top running speed of 140km/ph over that stretch, it would produce a substantial trip time savings.

Also, too many intermediate stops in the west GTA for such a long trip.

It should be limited to W. Harbour, Aldershot, Oakville, and I would have said Pt. Credit over Clarkson, but w/e,. one other pre-Union stop.

2hrs 21, could be shaved down to under 1hr 50 for sure.

Last edited:
Metrolinx is cancelling the $1.50 GO/TTC fare discount effective March.

This kind of fare integration is key for GO-RER. Without it you might as well not bother doing GO-RER/Electrification/Smarttrack at all.

I take it the speed limit between St. Kitts and West Harbour never exceeds 100km/ph.

That's awful.

We're that speed limit sufficient to allow GO's typical top running speed of 140km/ph over that stretch, it would produce a substantial trip time savings.

Also, too many intermediate stops in the west GTA for such a long trip.

It should be limited to W. Harbour, Aldershot, Oakville, and I would have said Pt. Credit over Clarkson, but w/e,. one other pre-Union stop.

The zone speed on the Grimsby Sub is 65mph.

As for saving much time......eh, probably not that much, at least not without a ton of work. If you study the graph a bit more closely, you'll see that the peak speed between Niagara Falls and St. Catharines was just that, a quick peak. That means that the train is spending all of its time either accelerating or decelerating, with no cruising. Between St. Catharines and West Harbour there are more opportunity to improve the speed limit, but even then there are a number of additional restrictions (the speed drops at 6:07 and 6:10, and the much lower plateau around 6:20 where the train enters the 30mph PSO in Hamilton) that aren't going to allow for much in terms of further time savings.

The single biggest saving to be found will be the elimination of the back-up manoeuver into West Harbour, and that's going to save 10 minutes. But another 20 minutes of savings? Maybe if you eliminate ALL of the other stops....

Dan

As for saving much time......eh, probably not that much, at least not without a ton of work. If you study the graph a bit more closely, you'll see that the peak speed between Niagara Falls and St. Catharines was just that, a quick peak. That means that the train is spending all of its time either accelerating or decelerating, with no cruising. Between St. Catharines and West Harbour there are more opportunity to improve the speed limit, but even then there are a number of additional restrictions (the speed drops at 6:07 and 6:10, and the much lower plateau around 6:20 where the train enters the 30mph PSO in Hamilton) that aren't going to allow for much in terms of further time savings.

The single biggest saving to be found will be the elimination of the back-up manoeuver into West Harbour, and that's going to save 10 minutes. But another 20 minutes of savings? Maybe if you eliminate ALL of the other stops....

Dan

Why do they need to back up at the West Harbour GO station?

Now for something different - Would GO ever expand into Ottawa? I am not suggesting a line between Ottawa and Toronto, but a commuter service for the Ottawa area, GO does stand for Government of Ontario, and if Ottawa should get commuter rail, GO makes sense.

Thank you.

Between St. Catharines and West Harbour there are more opportunity to improve the speed limit, but even then there are a number of additional restrictions (the speed drops at 6:07 and 6:10, and the much lower plateau around 6:20 where the train enters the 30mph PSO in Hamilton) that aren't going to allow for much in terms of further time savings.

This is the section I was looking at, and I was specifically suggesting that savings could be found IF, the track were upgraded sufficiently to permit a 90mph speed zone.

I didn't suggest this was easy or cheap!

Even 1h30min if electrified (and that can bring an Acela between Toronto-NYC too).

The Toronto-Hamilton-Niagara route, while very inefficiently utilized now, has lots of potential in the coming decades (climate agenda, Golden Horseshoe densification, etc).

West Harbour boomed in ridership (by way more than 2x) when they doubled the trains from 2 trains per day to 4 trains per day.

Back