News   Apr 24, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 768     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

What I would like to see is Metrolinx come out and say: "Instead of charging extra for parking, we are going to be un-bundling the parking cost from the transit cost. Instead of paying for them in one combined fare, you will now pay for them separately. If you drive, your overall fare won't change. If you take another mode to get to the station, your fare will go down."

Since most people drive to GO stations anyway, I'd imagine the impact on the bottom line wouldn't be substantial. If more people switch to other modes to take advantage of the lower fare, well then the stick has done its job.

There is one other advantage to this however. In places like Oriole GO, where tons of people park in order to go to North York Hospital for free, for example, it will mean that no one is using GO parking for illegitimate purposes.

So it will mean that parking will strictly be for GO.

There is one other advantage to this however. In places like Oriole GO, where tons of people park in order to go to North York Hospital for free, for example, it will mean that no one is using GO parking for illegitimate purposes.

So it will mean that parking will strictly be for GO.

That's a good point.

Another question for this: Did TTC Park n Ride usage drop after they made the switch from free to paid? From what I gather, the lots are still pretty full.

@smallspy Any word yet on what the GO April service increase is likely to involve? I'm assuming by now permissions are being or have been obtained and jobs are being or have been posted?
From what I've personally experienced in the last few schedule changes, is there may be a change in the works and all the ducks are put in a row for it, but in the last month or less before the change something will happen to prevent it.
To give Metrolinx a tiny bit of credit, I think this is partially why the are so secretive about upcoming changes until they publicly publish the changes .

From what I've personally experienced in the last few schedule changes, is there may be a change in the works and all the ducks are put in a row for it, but in the last month or less before the change something will happen to prevent it.
To give Metrolinx a tiny bit of credit, I think this is partially why the are so secretive about upcoming changes until they publicly publish the changes .

What has happened is that Metrolinx has been.....well.....overly optimistic with their requests for service changes and track slots. To the point of internally circulating potential schedules, train cycling and platform allocations for them prior to having everything finalized. (They do then send out the finalized ones in advance of the announcements, of course.) And the freight railroads have walked them back from it, telling them that they can only reasonably accomplish a portion of what they would like to achieve. And to Metrolinx's credit, in some cases the schedule changes that they've gotten have looked really substantial on the timetables (15 minute service on Lakeshore East, for instance) but have had a very, very minimal effect on the freight railroads dispatching and track allocation requirements.

But they are very, very protective of this, and have a requirement to not have the changes leaked prior to their own announcements. Which is why they no longer send the various transit agencies in the GTA the advance copies of the finalized schedules - they found that they would sometimes leak them.

Dan

That's a good point.

Another question for this: Did TTC Park n Ride usage drop after they made the switch from free to paid? From what I gather, the lots are still pretty full.

Usage is less important than the percentage using the parking lot for the TTC/GO in my opinion. Proper usage would be the metric I'd call it.

Any updates on the Guelph speed restriction? I haven't taken the train all the way to kitchener in a while so i haven't gotten any updates there

The Bramalea-Malton Speed Restriction looks to have been reduced from 30 MPH to about 45/50 MPH. I don't know what the original pre-speed-restriction limit was. This upgrade saves about 1-2 minutes from the scheduled 7 minutes on the timetable.

There is still a speed restriction of 60mph at highway 401/409 tunnel. And at Mount Dennis of 60 mph

The platforms Bramalea look nearly complete structurally but i haven't seen much progress. I'm hoping they are done by april so we can get some kind of service increase.

Also a note: the Counter-peak- Kitchener 2:47-4:51 train does not stop at Etobicoke North. They might be able to implement some kind of 30 minute service by skiping Etobicoke North or add the missing 5:51 arrival in union by skipping Etobicoke North. They might even be able to some add early counterpeak morning trains from the two existing deadheads by skipping etobicoke north.

But they are very, very protective of this, and have a requirement to not have the changes leaked prior to their own announcements. Which is why they no longer send the various transit agencies in the GTA the advance copies of the finalized schedules - they found that they would sometimes leak them.

Some of that leakage can be criticised as people not playing as a team, but some of it is inevitable. If you are a transit agency managing connections to GO, you need to reissue your own schedules when GO makes changes. That may mean posting the changes internally so operators can bid on the work. There are contractual notice periods before a “change of card”, so the agency may well be disseminating the facts ahead of the event. And transit will have to have its own proactive public communication so riders know why the bus timings have changed.

ML’s perverse insistence on secrecy is all about politicos wanting to hold photo ops and not be upstaged by (entirely appropriate and timely) communications to customers. Transit people have told me that Ml has asked for those in the ‘need to know’ to sign non disclosure contracts around service change previews. I’m told that some agencies, quite understandably insulted, have told ML where to stuff their nondisclosure paperwork.

But no, transit is not politicised in the GTA.

- Paul

Also a note: the Counter-peak- Kitchener 2:47-4:51 train does not stop at Etobicoke North. They might be able to implement some kind of 30 minute service by skiping Etobicoke North or add the missing 5:51 arrival in union by skipping Etobicoke North. They might even be able to some add early counterpeak morning trains from the two existing deadheads by skipping etobicoke north.

Etobicoke North is the only station east of Georgetown where only one platform can be used, which might explain the non-stop there. It's a very bare station by modern GO standards - a pre-fab mini-station, a simple asphalt platform and mini-platform, parking lot, and a single bus loop (which is now unused).

I'm curious what kind of work will be required for the new Woodbine station, if any tracks there will have be moved for platforms. There will be a slow order there as work is done.

Any updates on the Guelph speed restriction? I haven't taken the train all the way to kitchener in a while so i haven't gotten any updates there

Work is starting on that project this spring.

The Bramalea-Malton Speed Restriction looks to have been reduced from 30 MPH to about 45/50 MPH. I don't know what the original pre-speed-restriction limit was. This upgrade saves about 1-2 minutes from the scheduled 7 minutes on the timetable.

The zone speed for that section of line is 80mph. They are likely waiting for enough tonnage to pass over it before further reducing or removing the slow orders.

There is still a speed restriction of 60mph at highway 401/409 tunnel. And at Mount Dennis of 60 mph

Construction for both. Likely to remain like that for some time, until all of the work at the respective locations is done.

Dan

What does it mean by enough tonnage to pass over it?

When they lay or alter railroad tracks, the trackbed and ballast have to be compacted before it is fully stable. The weight of the first so many trains will provide the necessary compacting pressure. Basically, trains use the track at low speed until a certain accumulated amount of train weight has passed over the location. Then they may go back and measure and do more surfacing to correct any unevenness in the settling of the roadbed. Only when that has been done is the track considered stable and full speed limit is allowed.

- Paul

When they lay or alter railroad tracks, the trackbed and ballast have to be compacted before it is fully stable. The weight of the first so many trains will provide the necessary compacting pressure. Basically, trains use the track at low speed until a certain accumulated amount of train weight has passed over the location. Then they may go back and measure and do more surfacing to correct any unevenness in the settling of the roadbed. Only when that has been done is the track considered stable and full speed limit is allowed.

- Paul
In the case of these GO lines where there are 6 and 10 trains per direction in a day, so like a dozen to 20 trains - how many months might that take? It's a bazillion tonnes for sure.

What has happened is that Metrolinx has been.....well.....overly optimistic with their requests for service changes and track slots. To the point of internally circulating potential schedules, train cycling and platform allocations for them prior to having everything finalized. (They do then send out the finalized ones in advance of the announcements, of course.) And the freight railroads have walked them back from it, telling them that they can only reasonably accomplish a portion of what they would like to achieve. And to Metrolinx's credit, in some cases the schedule changes that they've gotten have looked really substantial on the timetables (15 minute service on Lakeshore East, for instance) but have had a very, very minimal effect on the freight railroads dispatching and track allocation requirements.

Dan
Understanble, but still a bad idea. The schedule would help agencies like DRT and Oakville plan local service better, reducing the need for driving to the station.

Back