News   May 01, 2024
 192     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 739     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 427     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This is the section I was looking at, and I was specifically suggesting that savings could be found IF, the track were upgraded sufficiently to permit a 90mph speed zone.

I didn't suggest this was easy or cheap!

As it turns out that stretch would be, with the exception of the several miles within Hamilton and dealing with that PSO, the one place where it would be relatively cheap and easy to increase the speeds. The area is quite flat, with few curves, and relatively few level crossings (and certainly none with sightline issues).

But it won't save you 20 minutes, even if you increase the speed limit to 200mph. The trains simply take too long to accelerate and decelerate to get those kinds of time savings.

Dan

Now for something different - Would GO ever expand into Ottawa? I am not suggesting a line between Ottawa and Toronto, but a commuter service for the Ottawa area, GO does stand for Government of Ontario, and if Ottawa should get commuter rail, GO makes sense.

Dont look into names too much. They are meaningless.

The Miss Universe contest won't include microbes on Europa once they are discovered

Now for something different - Would GO ever expand into Ottawa? I am not suggesting a line between Ottawa and Toronto, but a commuter service for the Ottawa area, GO does stand for Government of Ontario, and if Ottawa should get commuter rail, GO makes sense.

(Cue the Moose calls....)

Have a good read through the Moose thread and you may get the gist of why that's unlikely.

- Paul

(Cue the Moose calls....)

Have a good read through the Moose thread and you may get the gist of why that's unlikely.

- Paul

I have, and the difference is one is private and one is public. The Moose would would remove the Trillium line service for worse commuter service. I am talking about something not being removed for something worse.

Dropping the fare discount is so counter productive it's numbing but frankly even half fare integration was pretty pathetic.

This where Toronto should step in any pay for fare integration itself by subsidizing the TTC for any potential loses. It would cost at most $40 million a years which isn't even a rounding figure in the Toronto city budget. The problem is that the TTC doesn't want an effective GO system as they see it, unlike the long suffering Toronto commuters, as competition for fares. One of the many problems when a transit system for a region still has a fiefdom mentality. One of the many reasons why I still think that all municipal transit agencies in the GTA {including the TTC} should be dismantled and have the entire network run by one agency, Metrolinx.

Dropping the fare discount is so counter productive it's numbing but frankly even half fare integration was pretty pathetic.

This where Toronto should step in any pay for fare integration itself by subsidizing the TTC for any potential loses. It would cost at most $40 million a years which isn't even a rounding figure in the Toronto city budget. The problem is that the TTC doesn't want an effective GO system as they see it, unlike the long suffering Toronto commuters, as competition for fares. One of the many problems when a transit system for a region still has a fiefdom mentality. One of the many reasons why I still think that all municipal transit agencies in the GTA {including the TTC} should be dismantled and have the entire network run by one agency, Metrolinx.

Let me put it another way - Metrolinx has an explicit mandate of coordinating regional transit - if it couldn't/unwilling to even pay to do that, why bother? Do we really need a provincial authority to determine how to design and operate a line fully contained within a municipality when it has absolutely no record of designing and operating ANY such lines (nevermind modes)? And if I am even meaner, I'd bring out the the differential in how fares were determined intra 416. The org can barely plan and run commuter trains and buses properly as it is. The only thing going for it is being shielded from public scrutiny in its' decision-making process.

AoD

Last edited:
Let me put it another way - Metrolinx has an explicit mandate of coordinating regional transit - if it couldn't/unwilling to even pay to do that, why bother? Do we really need a provincial authority to determine how to design and operate a line fully contained within a municipality when it has absolutely no record of designing and operating ANY such lines (nevermind modes)? And if I am even meaner, I'd bring out the the differential in how fares were determined intra 416. The org can barely plan and run commuter trains and buses properly as it is. The only thing going for it is being shielded from public scrutiny in its' decision-making process.

AoD

They HAD a mandate, but it has been stripped of them. Just like Ontario Northland had a mandate to connect the north. One by one they sold of their ship, plane, passenger service and communication services. This is a product of a Conservative doing what it needs to to make those tax cuts they promised.

They HAD a mandate, but it has been stripped of them. Just like Ontario Northland had a mandate to connect the north. One by one they sold of their ship, plane, passenger service and communication services. This is a product of a Conservative doing what it needs to to make those tax cuts they promised.

To be fair, Ontera was cut loose by a Liberal government and I believe Star Transfer (trucking) was under the NDP, who also slashed Norontair before the Conservatives killed it outright. I tried to find the status of the Owen Sound Transportation Company (ferry) but could not, at least to my meagre understanding. It is business corporation but listed as a responsibility under the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines and government appointees sit on the Board.

If we disincentivize GO Train use by charging for parking, won’t more people drive to Toronto?

As the movie guy said, make my day.

People may grumble and try the drive for a while, but I can't believe they will stick with it. They will return. The drive is worse.

I would like to see data on the distribution of individual and family incomes of the people parking at GO. People will grumble, but many will just dig deep into their pockets and pay for the parking. This is not a hill that advocates for the poor will die on.

- Paul

People will grumble, but many will just dig deep into their pockets and pay for the parking.
If the economics demonstrates charging for parking has no impact on demand for lot spaces, then Metrolinx should be building more lots and spaces. Otherwise we're leaving money on the table.

Back