News   Apr 19, 2024
 74     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 528     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I believe the point was this approach will encourage fare evasion, which may have an adverse impact on revenue.
The only way to discourage fare evasion is to have inspectors on all trains, which is true with the previous payment methods too. There's no increase in encouragement since you need to activate the ticket before you board anyways.

seems like a great idea, but bad for fare evasion. Say you don't pay your fare and wait for the fare inspectors to show up. Once you see them, you can quickly pay on your phone.

Berlin accepts metro fare payment via numerous mechanisms including phone; in fact they even allow 3rd party apps to sell tickets via an API.

They do, however, have a 2 or 3 minute delay before a mobile ticket becomes active. If you purchase prior to the station entrance while walking down the sidewalk the ticket will be active by the time you get on a train, but if you buy on a train after a fare inspector boards you'll not have much luck.

It seemed like a reasonable compromise; though Germans seem less likely to try to cheat the system than Canadians.

Last edited:
For the Stouffville to Kitchener through service, almost everytime it is announced that the train becomes a Kitchener line train at Union. I don't know if many people take advantage of the through service but the stopping time at union was pretty short (or at least average for a train continuing through).
I've used it a few times , but most times I go downstairs to York concourse, grab a snack and go back up. I've also used the kitchener line to oakville at around 8:50/9am. I'm not sure if they are keeping it anymore.

seems like a great idea, but bad for fare evasion. Say you don't pay your fare and wait for the fare inspectors to show up. Once you see them, you can quickly pay on your phone.
Allow five minutes for your ticket to activate.

Better allow 5 minutes between seeing the officers and them checking your e-ticket

Something happened to this bus on the Gardiner.
IMG_20190823_172919[1].jpg

Must have been this:

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any of the kitchener line train lengths have changed? The old 9:00 from mount pleasant was 6 cars but will they upgrade that to 10 cars?

"Verster says Metrolinx has a timeline for making that happen, but they won't provide a fixed date because there are too many variables — like contractors who work for other companies, including CN Rail — to make sure they hit a deadline.

"It's just good policy to not declare big date somewhere in the future and my experience all of our customers, nearly all of them, are interested in what service they get next week, next month, but beyond that it is less of an interest for customers," Verster said.

He said Metrolinx is working closely with CN to increase capacity on the rail corridor between Waterloo region and Toronto.

They are now also focusing on building infrastructure to improve service, he said."

Article from yesterday: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...ncreased-trains-september-3-verster-1.5265836

^I sympathize with Verster when he says he doesn't want to build false expectations, but I disagree that people aren't interested or that there's no obligation to tell us.

In large projects, there are a million reasons why things don't happen to schedule. If you look at every major transit project in Ontario - busways, LRTs, subway extensions - virtually nothing comes in at the original projected time. That's not an indictment of any part of those projects, it's just a reality. All construction is like that - Stuff happens.

Nonetheless, Verster and ML are being egregiously coy with disclosure of project status. They may not be able to say for sure when something will start, but they ought to be able to tell us if it's clearly not for another year, or two, or five. They have only so much money and they know what the prerequisites to getting a service going are. If they know a prerequisite has fallen behind, or if it hasn't even begun because the money hasn't been released, they have an obligation to be forthright about that. Evading the facts is just as dishonest as telling us an untruth.

- Paul

-

Any thoughts on what this might be?

No big guns at the presser, associate minister, Metrolinx Chief Marketing Officer and the local MPP.

Back