News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Office firewall doesn't like it. LOL
Doesn't work here. Lots of security warnings, and then the final link ends up being https://maintenance.gotransit.com/gotransit.com/?station-code=UN&currentDepartureQuery={"from":{},"to":null,"departArrive":"NOW","date":"","time":"","numItineraries":"3","maxWalkDistance":"10000","isSchedule":true,"isFavourite":false,"fromSearchQuery":"Union Station GO, TORONTO","fromStation":"","fromCode":"UN","toCode":"","toStation":"","algoliaSuggestions":[],"viableStations":[],"closestStations":[],"validForm":false,"queryForSharing":{},"miniSchedule":""}&sharedLink=true which shows as
Whoops, there seems to be a missed connection.

Which is bizarre, as a bit.ly link expander says it points to https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/scheduled-departures/station?...sharedLink=true which works

A while ago, GO's new website created havoc within our firewall, with a lot of the schedule and planning links not working, unless you used incognito mode or something. Though GO seems to have fixed that now. There's some bizarre stuff going on in the background though!

There are two 17:15 Lakeshore East trains?
It's a bit annoying to have to look at the scrolling destinations strip to identify the correct one.
Wish they had scheduled one a minute later so it would be easier to correspond with a schedule.

A column with "X" for express would be an easy fix, though it would probably take five years and $35 million to figure out, and then you would have to deal with dumb people who think an "X" must mean the train goes to 'The X" when they wind up in Oshawa.

Those are seriously the most junk departure signs I can imagine. It's like they went out of their way to provide you as little information as possible at any point in time. I think they figure they have to spend so much time shepherding idiots around Union Station it's a net positive benefit to cater to them and not to regular users.

Doesn't work here. Lots of security warnings, and then the final link ends up being https://maintenance.gotransit.com/gotransit.com/?station-code=UN&currentDepartureQuery={"from":{},"to":null,"departArrive":"NOW","date":"","time":"","numItineraries":"3","maxWalkDistance":"10000","isSchedule":true,"isFavourite":false,"fromSearchQuery":"Union Station GO, TORONTO","fromStation":"","fromCode":"UN","toCode":"","toStation":"","algoliaSuggestions":[],"viableStations":[],"closestStations":[],"validForm":false,"queryForSharing":{},"miniSchedule":""}&sharedLink=true which shows as
Whoops, there seems to be a missed connection.

Which is bizarre, as a bit.ly link expander says it points to https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/scheduled-departures/station?...sharedLink=true which works

A while ago, GO's new website created havoc within our firewall, with a lot of the schedule and planning links not working, unless you used incognito mode or something. Though GO seems to have fixed that now. There's some bizarre stuff going on in the background though!

Darn. The bit.ly link was working before and now isn't. The GO link is still working. Sigh.

Darn. The bit.ly link was working before and now isn't. The GO link is still working. Sigh.
It is working, as I could link to the website I extracted from the bit.ly link, as long as I didn't click on the link itself, which leads to some GO maintenance link. Some kind of weird GO programming, that's looking at where you linked from ... very bizarre!

What probably works better, is to go to the simpler page for each station (like https://www.gotransit.com/en/stations-stops-parking/find-a-station-or-stop/results?stationCode=UN) and then click on "See all depatures" - though it seems to show the ones in the next 10 minutes.

Not sure how I feel about both "Niagara" and "Lakeshore West" on the signboard. I can see that being confusing for some as it doesn't follow either standard.

On an aside, I've always felt GO Lines should be lettered with TTC lines numbered (sort of like the Paris standard).

I use a separate app called GOToronto (for iPhone or iPad). It quickly displays the schedule between any two points for the entire day with fare prices and has a quick link to the Union departure board as well.
17961B49-39B6-4C19-B427-FB6C80889986.jpeg
5E97E513-C449-4500-A80A-69BE962BFF25.png
2E683936-BEFF-4C85-A72B-2CDB138720F0.png

Last edited:
I use a separate app called GOToronto (for iPhone or iPad). It quickly displays the schedule between any two points for the entire day with fare prices and has a quick link to the Union departure board as well.
That looks pretty good! Not on Android, but I see 5 or 6 similar-type independent apps, some rated quite high - haven't tried any.

Not sure how I feel about both "Niagara" and "Lakeshore West" on the signboard. I can see that being confusing for some as it doesn't follow either standard.

On an aside, I've always felt GO Lines should be lettered with TTC lines numbered (sort of like the Paris standard).

Well the GO lines used to be lettered actually.
GO Older.gif
GO Old.jpg

The article says "A bunch of trains that normally started the morning at Georgetown GO are now extending their trips and starting at Kitchener GO ".

One train was extended to start Kitchener. What kind of fake news site is this?
The crap journalism people in smaller towns like mine have to deal with. Nevertheless, if the article is true and crowding has gotten significantly worse, there's no surprise from me. It was an ill thought out politically motivated expansion that ruined a lot.

The NDP MPP from Kitchener seems to be reiterating that this is a 50% decrease in express service to Kitchener and overall a bad move. Mind you, only 1 through trip was express beforehand, so one trip going 15 minutes longer (on top of signal issues and train traffic delays) is somewhat annoying.

If this was a direct slight by the PCs, then yes, boo to them. My hunch is it's because of some sort of scheduling conflict between Union, CN, and any freight coming the opposite direction... but then again, I woudn't be at all surprised IF this was a "Screw you for not voting PC" move.

The NDP MPP from Kitchener seems to be reiterating that this is a 50% decrease in express service to Kitchener and overall a bad move. Mind you, only 1 through trip was express beforehand, so one trip going 15 minutes longer (on top of signal issues and train traffic delays) is somewhat annoying.

If this was a direct slight by the PCs, then yes, boo to them. My hunch is it's because of some sort of scheduling conflict between Union, CN, and any freight coming the opposite direction... but then again, I woudn't be at all surprised IF this was a "Screw you for not voting PC" move.

I don’t think Metrolinx makes such scheduling decisions based on pettiness. It has been forced to rush out new service or back questionable infrastructure based on government directives but I don’t think the new Kitchener schedule has much or anything to do with that.

I don’t believe anyone is being spiteful, but the political refusal to face fact is appalling.

Kitchener needs 12- 15 trains a day, seven days a week, in each direction. It currently has 5 each way, five days a week.

How anyone can declare that they have made a 25% improvement in service when we have only 20% of what should be running is beyond me.

- Paul

Back