News   Apr 26, 2024
 447     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Interesting observation.

15-min-or-better to Oshawa

But you only get 15-min-or-better to the intermediate stations (e.g. Scarborough) offpeak because of the large number of express trains occuring at peak.

That reduces service for certain stations, even if Oshawa is still getting 15-minute service both at peak and midday.

Guess, there's a lot of work left to fix corridor capacity problems before there can be 15-minute express trains AND 15-minute allstop trains (perhaps translating to 7.5 min peak service for Oshawa)

So, I was thinking of taking GO today to the Clarkson area to go visit Rattaray Marsh.

I knew service would only be hourly and trip time might be a bit more than usual.

I did not realize how much more than usual.

Trip time Danforth to Clarkson 2hrs 4m.

This compares to a 'normal' time in the range of 50m

So, more than double.

I didn't think the detour was that long.

No one in their right mind will commute from Niagara Region to Union using the current stops. It will get day trippers and those commuting to Hamilton and maybe as far as Oakville but that`s it. That however would be very different if electric RER goes to Aldershot for all riders up to Park Lane while the Niagara trains stop all along Niagara & Hamilton and then after Aldershot are non-stop to Union. Then you would start getting a LOT more Hamilton and Niagara commuters to Toronto.

No one in their right mind will commute from Niagara Region to Union using the current stops. It will get day trippers and those commuting to Hamilton and maybe as far as Oakville but that`s it. That however would be very different if electric RER goes to Aldershot for all riders up to Park Lane while the Niagara trains stop all along Niagara & Hamilton and then after Aldershot are non-stop to Union. Then you would start getting a LOT more Hamilton and Niagara commuters to Toronto.
Well in 2031 Niagara Falls was only expected to have 400 riders a day, so there's that.

Anybody who drives the QEW knows that potential ridership is huge. I have had dozens of coworkers who commuted from Grimsby, Beamsville, etc. to downtown Toronto. There are plenty who may work in Hamilton etc.
The key is to offer a service that is more than equal trade for sitting in traffic in your own private vehicle. To my mind, express has to be part of the solution. To achieve that, some track likely has to be added east of Aldershot.

- Paul

With housing costs rising in places like London due to Torontians moving there to get more house for less money, how long till GO is extended to London?

With housing costs rising in places like London due to Torontians moving there to get more house for less money, how long till GO is extended to London?

My guess is that we'll see some kind of study pretty quickly if HSR gets cancelled, though whether what's likely to be an MU shuttle between London and Kitchener will be GO proper or just Metrolinx depend a lot on the politics of the thing. I wonder if it might even be sold as an electrification study (actually, this wouldn't even be a terrible service when I think about it...)

In the GO buses, what does the stop announcement say right before the stop name? I can't make out those two words.

Ahh, perhaps. That sounds similar. Another question: before the 407, were all GO buses confined to the 401? Did they use Hwy 7?

Back