News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 3.8K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The problem with Concord GO is that there are two competing plans. Local residents didn't like the official plan, so they hired an architectural firm to create an alternate plan. Metrolinx says that plan is unfeasible, but it's not like the residents came up with it themselves on the back of a napkin...
Where is this alternative unofficial plan?

*sigh* I still can't support this theoretical shifting to Steeles when Concord is a better option in terms of spacing and rapid transit network building.
  • Steeles station (shifted York U)
    • To Downsview Park: 3.3 km
    • To Rutherford: 6.3 km
    • Connects to uncommitted Steeles BRT (TTC)
  • Concord station
    • To Downsview Park: 5.3 km
    • To Rutherford: 4.3 km
    • Connects to designed, EA-completed, uncommitted 407 Transitway and committed + partially built Highway 7 Rapidway (GO + viva)
View attachment 129314

View attachment 129315

Totally feasible to have both Steeles and Concord with GO RER.

Go bilevels wouldnt stop at any of this.

Will the double tracking at Downsview Park be with the West platform or the centre passing track first?

West makes more sense since it allows for separate northbound/southbound platforms via the two station buildings, per the original plan for the station. Even with hourly service it's a bit easier and more passenger-friendly to have separate platforms for separate directions. I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and do it for the station opening, it's not far from the station to the currently underway double tracking north of York U.

Not sure what they were smoking extending the platform on the east side up onto the Sheppard bridge. There's definitely not room for two platforms and 3 tracks on it. I guess the west side/southbound platform will have to be offset from the northbound one, i.e. southbound one will run from just south of Sheppard, and extend much farther south than the northbound platform (beginning north of Sheppard) does.

Also, I guess they just decided not to do the full platform canopies? Or even partial? I was under the impression the final plan for the station included them, but I guess not.

Not sure what they were smoking extending the platform on the east side up onto the Sheppard bridge. There's definitely not room for two platforms and 3 tracks on it. I guess the west side/southbound platform will have to be offset from the northbound one, i.e. southbound one will run from just south of Sheppard, and extend much farther south than the northbound platform (beginning north of Sheppard) does.

They've decided that they need to build a new bridge over Sheppard. This will allow for 3 future tracks and the two outside platforms. I believe this is to be part of the early construction work for double-tracking the entirety of the line, so in theory could be done in a couple of years time.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Catherine Fife, the MPP for Kitchener-Waterloo, has tabled a motion asking the Ontario government to hold a vote on whether or not it will provide a "firm funding commitment and clear timeline" to deliver all-day, two-way, GO train services along the Kitchener-Waterloo corridor by 2024 — a promise that was made by Kathleen Wynne in 2014.

"This motion forces the government to vote on a debate and to vote on a plan," Fife said. "We're being strung along. I already feel this government is walking back on their promises."

"I want this promise to explicitly be included in legislation in a long-term infrastructure plan," she said.

I get the anxiousness and the politics, but this could put the government (of whatever stripe) in a bind. It could weaken the bargaining power at the table with CN if they are married to a set date.

I get the anxiousness and the politics, but this could put the government (of whatever stripe) in a bind. It could weaken the bargaining power at the table with CN if they are married to a set date.

I would bet a box of donuts that this has already been factored into CN's negotiating position. Del Duca instructed ML (in writing) to get a deal this year. Wynne no doubt wants a deal before the election campaign begins in earnest. 2024 isn't that far off considering the work that is required.

CN is already in the drivers' seat.

- Paul

I would bet a box of donuts that this has already been factored into CN's negotiating position. Del Duca instructed ML (in writing) to get a deal this year. Wynne no doubt wants a deal before the election campaign begins in earnest. 2024 isn't that far off considering the work that is required.

CN is already in the drivers' seat.

- Paul
CN was in the drivers seat from the moment someone decided to buy the ends of the corridor they don't need from them while leaving the bit in the middle til later.

Whatever reason ML/Govt had for doing it that way....they have been paying the price for it ever since....and I suspect will for a while longer.

Effective December 2017, most 407 West buses (with the exception of 45, 45A and 48A) and Route 25F will stop at Highway 407 Station, before terminating at York University.

Hopefully the 407 East buses (as well as route 40) will also stop at Highway 407 Station. They did say to stay tuned for other changes.

Effective December 2017, most 407 West buses (with the exception of 45, 45A and 48A) and Route 25F will stop at Highway 407 Station, before terminating at York University.
For a bit of clarity, those changes take effect on December 30, 2017.

Back