News   May 01, 2024
 194     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2.8K     5 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Do the Metrolinx studies even look at transit capacities that change due to fare integration? This bring up a good point where GO riders that usually get off at Union will get off somewhere else and then take the already at capacity TTC to get to their final destination rather than walk from Union. Same with other places where using multiple modes will be cheaper and faster than the current.

Yeah, they definitely haven't looked at everything. However, GO riders getting off before Union actually won't always be a bad thing. For example, I live near Aurora GO on the Barrie Line, and I often have engagements along the northwestern portion of Line 1, around Yorkdale, Eglinton W, St Clair W, or near St George station. Once Downsview Park GO and the TYSSE open, it'll make a lot of sense for me to get off my Barrie train at Downsview Park and transfer to the subway; it's typically not busy north of St Clair W even during peak, and even down to St George I believe there's almost always spare capacity, and when I hop off the GO train someone can enjoy my seat for the remaining 20 minutes to Union. Compare that to Union Station itself in terms of crowd flow, and in terms of how busy the subway is in both directions at Union during peak, and it's actually beneficial to GO, the TTC, and other commuters for me to get off at Downsview Park. However, if someone gets off at Bloor GO/UPX during AM Peak and wants to take the subway to Sherbourne, then yeah, that's going to suck.

Yeah, they definitely haven't looked at everything. However, GO riders getting off before Union actually won't always be a bad thing. For example, I live near Aurora GO on the Barrie Line, and I often have engagements along the northwestern portion of Line 1, around Yorkdale, Eglinton W, St Clair W, or near St George station. Once Downsview Park GO and the TYSSE open, it'll make a lot of sense for me to get off my Barrie train at Downsview Park and transfer to the subway; it's typically not busy north of St Clair W even during peak, and even down to St George I believe there's almost always spare capacity, and when I hop off the GO train someone can enjoy my seat for the remaining 20 minutes to Union. Compare that to Union Station itself in terms of crowd flow, and in terms of how busy the subway is in both directions at Union during peak, and it's actually beneficial to GO, the TTC, and other commuters for me to get off at Downsview Park. However, if someone gets off at Bloor GO/UPX during AM Peak and wants to take the subway to Sherbourne, then yeah, that's going to suck.

So this could potentially increase capacity from people who take GO all the way to Union and take up the Downtown U instead will get off at Downsview Park or Bloor instead, which is not as strained for capacity? Spreading out the riders seems like a good idea actually :eek: Now we just need a Bloor Station on the RH Line and two way all day service, which is probably less likely to happen than DRL to Highway 7 :p

Today's Del Duca announcement is..... (drumroll please)...

Bike lockers/secure bike rooms @ GO Stations.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2017/09/xxx.html

List of locations follows:

Bike Lockers

Municipality

Oakville

QEW at Winston Churchill Blvd

Vaughan

Hwy 400 at Hwy 7

Barrie

Hwy 400 at Essa Rd/Ardagh Rd

Oshawa

Hwy 401 at Simcoe St

Mississauga

QEW at Erin Mills Parkway

Burlington

QEW at Guelph Line

Burlington

Hwy 403 at Hwy 6/Plains Rd

Lincoln, Niagara

QEW at Ontario Street (Also an EV charger location )

East Gwillimbury

Hwy 404 at Green Lane East

Welland

Hwy 406 at Woodlawn Road

Lincoln, Niagara

QEW at Victoria Ave

Wasaga Beach

Hwy 26 at Airport Road

Springwater, Simcoe

Hwy 26 at RR27 (Bayfield St)

Hamilton

Hwy 403 at RR 52/Wilson St

Springwater, Simcoe

Hwy 11 at Penetanguishene Rd

Bike Rooms

Lakeshore West

Oakville

Clarkson

Burlington

Bronte

Mimico

Long Branch

Appleby

Stouffville

Mount Joy

Unionville

Markham

Milliken

Agincourt

Centennial

Barrie

Aurora

King City

Lakeshore East

Scarborough

Pickering

Ajax

Whitby

Danforth

Kitchener

Mount Pleasant

Weston

Brampton

Bloor

Milton

Streetsville

Cooksville

Total number of stations receiving bike rooms

Total number of secure bike rooms to be installed

The bike lockers are all at MTO carpool lots - most of which aren't places one would want to bike to. Only one - Ontario Street at QEW in Beamsville, has a GO Transit bus stop.

The secure bike rooms at GO Stations is nice, though. Not worthy of two ministers at a GO Station, but nice. Bramalea is probably not included in the announcement because it's due for another reconfiguration, along with a new station building.

Bramalea is probably not included in the announcement because it's due for another reconfiguration, along with a new station building.

Maple and Rutherford were similarly concerning omissions, but I recall from the public surveys that they were floating a few bike ideas including a bike room in the new parking garages. That makes by far the most sense, IMO, so that's probably why they weren't in this list.

Maple and Rutherford were similarly concerning omissions, but I recall from the public surveys that they were floating a few bike ideas including a bike room in the new parking garages. That makes by far the most sense, IMO, so that's probably why they weren't in this list.

Yes, I think Bramalea is also going to get a garage eventually.

The bike lockers are all at MTO carpool lots - most of which aren't places one would want to bike to. Only one - Ontario Street at QEW in Beamsville, has a GO Transit bus stop.
Ironically, Hamilton Hunter GO station -- with a partial cycle track leading up to near it -- isn't getting these bike lockers (yet?). That would affect me more -- far more useful.

At least, I have two SoBi bike share stations right nearby my home (this year's small SoBi expansion added a 2nd station near my house) so I will continue doing that on good-weather days.

Ironically, Hamilton Hunter GO station -- with a partial cycle track leading up to near it -- isn't getting these bike lockers (yet?). That would affect me more -- far more useful.

At least, I have two SoBi bike share stations right nearby my home (this year's small SoBi expansion added a 2nd station near my house) so I will continue doing that on good-weather days.

Hamilton Hunter already has two bike rooms with a total capacity of 45 bikes.

https://ontariotrafficman.wordpress.com/2017/05/29/parking-a-bicycle-at-hamilton-centre-station/

Secure Parking

Hamilton Centre is one of the few stations in Ontario that features secure indoor bicycle parking. GO Transit charges $50/year for a key to one of the station’s two small parking garages, which are located at the east and west ends of the station.

One of two bicycle parking garages at the station

Despite the recent Big Move document declaring that offering free parking at GO stations is not sustainable.

When you're in a hole..... the first step in the solution is: stop digging.

- Paul

I'm glad they know that free parking isn't sustainable - after all, I've been writing about the problem for a while - but I don't think they're ready to actually start doing something about it. The purchase and demolition of several properties in Downtown Brampton for a new parking lot means they're still committed to it for now.

Back