News   Jul 15, 2024
 73     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 341     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This document didn't get too much media attention from what I can recall. Steve Munro did do a post on it at the time: https://stevemunro.ca/2016/03/30/gorer-details-emerge-in-business-case-analysis/

Interestingly, the GO RER BCA was released before some of the 'add on' announcements layer in 2016: the Bypass for the Kitchener Corridor, service between Hamilton and Niagara Falls (the first non-Union train transfer), the Bowmanville extension. I'm doing that part by memory so need to double check.

Here is where the full BCA documents are on the Metrolinx website. Note that the PDF file sizes are huge: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...nefitscases/benefits_case_analyses.aspx#gorer

The appendix has the map which I provided showing the rail-over-rail grade separation at Humber.
Props. You always come through. Thank You. Going through it now.

It could be a bit of both.

I think it's inevitable that increased service will improve ridership.

The question is, would increased service on an already busier line, like Milton, increase ridership by more.

Ultimately, all lines need off-peak service and would end up looking like Lakeshore, I think.
Can union handle that though?
I think it makes GO much more usable for those stations in Toronto that don't have accompanying bus service.

Stouffville used to have higher ridership than Barrie before Barrie started getting more trains, so I really do think it's largely about service. The new York University campus that will open next to Unionville GO in the next few years will generate new demand, as will the growth of Markham Centre as a whole.

The real constraint is a lack of useful connecting YRT shuttle services and <sigh> a lack of parking at most stations on the line (like most of you, I'd rather have more of the former).
YRT needs to beef up local service. More late night and weekend service is needed when the GO service expands again.

Honestly I didn't but I'm sure you're accurate. Of course the more input from folks here the better and happy to keep making edits. Either way, just to be safe I emailed Metrolinx to see if they could verify. From what I understand, the chart itself was created by Steve Munro after receiving the data and notations from Metrolinx.
turns out it was 7 in each direction....so 14 in total versus the promised 18.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...ampton-trains-and-bus-service-to-pearson.html

It will be really interesting to see how all-day service on the Stouffville line, which has the second lowest ridership of the lines, will affect its ridership.

Two reasons: One, Stouffville has quite good off-peak ridership, to the point where about a quarter of the weekend runs have scheduled second buses to pick up passengers left behind.

Two, all of the track is owned by Metrolinx, with no crossings over other railroads, so it's the easiest of the GO lines to add this kind of service to. Low hanging fruit, and all that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Further update, and with links.

2s4xlzH

Further update, and with links.

2s4xlzH
I think 6 of the 24 weekend Barrie Line trains actually go to Barrie though.

so its 6 to Barrie and 18 to Aurora.

And I mean if you are going to point that out, technically you should point out that the Kitchener weekday is to Mount Pleasant and the Stouffville Weekday is to Unionville.

I think 6 of the 24 weekend Barrie Line trains actually go to Barrie though.

so its 6 to Barrie and 18 to Aurora.

And I mean if you are going to point that out, technically you should point out that the Kitchener weekday is to Mount Pleasant and the Stouffville Weekday is to Unionville.

Great feedback. Thank you. Updated.
2rUf0TS

I updated the chart to reflect the 6 to Barrie and 13 to Aurora. See my 1223pm post from yesterday with the updated graphics.

Um, the Barrie Line is at 19 trips per day total, 10 southbound and 9 northbound, with 3 of each of those originating & 3 terminating at Barrie and the other 6 south and 7 north running to and from Aurora.

So more like, to Barrie, 6, and to Aurora, 13.

I guess that answers the Stouffville weekend service question - no DVP relief line during closures next year?

So in both the current and new Stouffville schedule, what is with that one afternoon northbound train that stops at Scarborough Station, but no other trains on that line stop there?

Fills a 65-minute gap in the Lakeshore East service at Scarborough. Train 724 (Union 16:40) has to skip Danforth and Scarborough to be able to turn around in time at Oshawa.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-11_17-31-46.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-11_17-31-46.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 137

Back