News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 621     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

"More Cush for your Tush" ?????

Must be a new ad agency.

I can't wait to hear their slogan for UPX.

- Paul

Interesting padding added to some Lakeshore West trains.

For example the 6:16 from West Harbour has the same schedule up to Burlington, then the increase in minutes is as follows:

Appleby: +1
Bronte: +2
Oakville: +4
Clarkson: +4
Union: +5

I wonder what specifically is the problem around Oakville, The level crossing at Kerr Street?

With the last eastbound run non-express run leaving Mount Pleasant at 2 pm, it's hard to call it even mid-day service.

Disappointing they didn't at least have reverse-peak, afternoon, and early evening service.

A bit disappointing indeed....so, +/- 5 years after the cancellation of a poor mid-day schedule from Bramalea and $1.3B of expenditure later, the best they could come up with was a slightly better mid-day schedule that goes to Mt. Pleasant?

I wish some people would stop belly aching about the new services. It's not a sprint, it's a Marathon. All the different ducks need to be lined up carefully in a row before more can be done. It's a decent start and huge improvement from the pre UPX Bramalea day service.

There is only so much Metrolinx can do with the resources they have now (i.e. operating dollars) The 'all day service' will come over the next 10 years meaning watch for additions to be sprinkled in in the coming months/years, like the 2 additional trains (or exisiting but extended) from Kitchener in 2016.

As for the new service, there will be hourly buses via Hwy 7 (Rockwood/Acton) to/from Guelph to connect to the trains at Mount Pleasant. GO also added buses between morning trains from Guelph, which will help in case there is a train delay issue from Kitchener (which hasn't been the case for some time now **knock on wood**)

I still would like to see more evening service, especially later service from Guelph.

Last edited:
I'm a bit upset with the changes for Guelph. The 39 had been discontinued, and they would be relying on the 33 to connect with the all-day trains. But GO points out the 48 will take over this connection. Still 3 problems:
  • The 48 starts at U of Guelph, instead of downtown Guelph.
  • The 48 stops at Meadowvale GO and 407/Hurontario, adding additional trip time.
  • There is still a connection time of 14+ minutes at Bramalea.
This results in midday trip times that are 2h 25m, when the well-timed 39 would have shaved 20 minutes off that.

Meanwhile, Kitchener also got the shaft; the 30 is quite limited. They could have easily run more trips.

Yep, definitely disappointed with the changes for Guelph. Taking the 33/48 will be hardly any quicker than taking the 29 through Square One. And I would much rather transfer there. If I miss a connection there's at least Starbucks near the buses, or the entire mall where I can pass the time. And with Friday adding half/hourly service on the 29, it becomes even better.

I'm a bit upset with the changes for Guelph. The 39 had been discontinued, and they would be relying on the 33 to connect with the all-day trains. But GO points out the 48 will take over this connection. Still 3 problems:
  • The 48 starts at U of Guelph, instead of downtown Guelph.
  • The 48 stops at Meadowvale GO and 407/Hurontario, adding additional trip time.
  • There is still a connection time of 14+ minutes at Bramalea.
This results in midday trip times that are 2h 25m, when the well-timed 39 would have shaved 20 minutes off that.

Meanwhile, Kitchener also got the shaft; the 30 is quite limited. They could have easily run more trips.

I already e-mailed them a few times about extending the 48 to start/end at Guelph Central instead of U of Guelph and you can tell how that went with this schedule update.

Yep, definitely disappointed with the changes for Guelph. Taking the 33/48 will be hardly any quicker than taking the 29 through Square One. And I would much rather transfer there. If I miss a connection there's at least Starbucks near the buses, or the entire mall where I can pass the time. And with Friday adding half/hourly service on the 29, it becomes even better.

The 33 stops at Mount Pleasant and there is a nice Tim Hortons directly across the street :)

It's a decent start and huge improvement from the pre UPX Bramalea day service.
Going from 4 mid-day trains to Bramalea (since 2002) to 7, and extending them 2 more stations is a "huge improvement"?

It's an improvement perhaps. It's hardly earth-shattering - especially after dropping over a billion dollars.

I wish some people would stop belly aching about the new services.

It's not 'bellyaching' to compare what has been promised over the years for GTS with what was delivered thus far, and call attention to any shortfall. That's how we measure if GO is doing what it said it would do.

I agree that it's a start and a positive step - there will be in fact 30 trains per day vs the longstanding target of 29 trains. So one could argue there is a slight over-achievement.

All the different ducks need to be lined up carefully in a row before more can be done.

I wish they would release their project plan to do that. There sure seem to be some prerequisites that aren't anywhere near initiation. For instance, the new hourly service ends at mid-afternoon because there is no 2-way GO capacity east of Malton. That's something that GTS was supposed to deliver, and it hasn't happened. No point talking about reverse commuting to Kitchener until certain track improvements are actually out of the gate. We need a more adult conversation about what the milestones will be and what service they will make possible.

The 'all day service' will come over the next 10 years meaning watch for additions to be sprinkled in in the coming months/years, like the 2 additional trains (or exisiting but extended) from Kitchener in 2016.

By 2025? That would put them two years behind. Remember, this is work towards a 15-year goal that was approved in 2008. We have been assured that GO is working that plan. If some things have fallen off the stated timeline, just tell us what the new timeline is.

It's not a sprint, it's a Marathon.

Watch - Wynne and Del Duca will puff these new trains into a new Last Spike.

- Paul

Route 12 (Niagrara Falls) extended to the Burlington Carpool Lot to provide connections to the 47, fixing an otherwise awkward gap in the network. Unfortunately, the 40 doesn't stop there otherwise it would be a very good way to get to the airport from Niagara Region with only one transfer.

Had the same thought. Would have loved a one-seat ride from Burlington to the airport. Fortunately the connection between the 47 and the 40 appears to be well-timed at Square One or Trafalgar.

At least CN is cooperating with additional trains on its Halton Sub mainline; the extension of hourly midday trains to Mount Pleasant is an important precedent for expanding this service for counter-peak, evening and weekend trips.

It proves that the track capacity is there now with the third track built a decade ago and the turn-around at Mount Pleasant.

Back