News   Apr 16, 2024
 142     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Finally they are doing something about the Stouffville train that stops at Danforth at 7:28am that is 5-7 minutes late daily. They hold the 7:32 at Scarborough to wait for this train and it makes that one late as well. New in January, the 7:28am Stouffville will no longer stop at Danforth. Bad news for everyone packing onto the Lakeshore East, but at least it'll be on time.

While small, the mid afternoon trip stopping at Bloor GO makes a big difference for some, eg taking line 2. Though as someone who occasionally visits the west end of Toronto from further west, I think it'll really require an operational Mt Dennis station and Crosstown as well to really chip into the Aberfoyle-Square One-Transitway bus routing and get more people onto the Kitchener line for non-downtown trips and off buses on the 401.
For me, having the afternoon stop at Weston means that I can connect to the airport. I'm disapointed that weekend service for the Kitchener line has yet to become a reality. I'm not looking for all day service; just one or two trains from Kitchener in the morning and back.

For me, having the afternoon stop at Weston means that I can connect to the airport. I'm disapointed that weekend service for the Kitchener line has yet to become a reality. I'm not looking for all day service; just one or two trains from Kitchener in the morning and back.

Absolutely, this would be life changing for me as well. I take weekend trips to Guelph regularly and having an early evening westbound would be phenomenal on Sundays as Via is not very financially viable to take one stop, and Greyhound has a puzzling service gap in the evening, and only resumes after 8, over an hour after most Guelph Transit buses stop running (a truly pathetic system). Even just a morning eastbound and evening westbound pseudo-commuter run that made all local stops would really help to deepen the complexity of the ridership along the west end of the line, more students, general weekend travellers, people who work on the weekends and still (amazingly) need to commute, people visiting family and friends, people going to the airport, etc. I think the Kitchener line has huge potential that's only beginning to be realized.

Is it odd that Rouge Hill is getting more service while Danforth is being reduced? You would think that a connection to the subway (a non convenient one though) would be preferred over a smaller less used station

Is it odd that Rouge Hill is getting more service while Danforth is being reduced? You would think that a connection to the subway (a non convenient one though) would be preferred over a smaller less used station

It's not odd. No one needs to use this "connection." We know this given that no one uses it. There are more elaborate and more miserable transfers made by thousands of GO users daily. If no one is using this one after decades it's really because no one needs it.

It's not odd. No one needs to use this "connection." We know this given that no one uses it. There are more elaborate and more miserable transfers made by thousands of GO users daily. If no one is using this one after decades it's really because no one needs it.

I wish GO would just abandon stopping the Stouffville Line at Danforth (and the odd train that stops at Scarborough GO) altogether. The handful of people who use this connection can just take Lakeshore East trains or use the connection at Kennedy.

I wish GO would just abandon stopping the Stouffville Line at Danforth (and the odd train that stops at Scarborough GO) altogether. The handful of people who use this connection can just take Lakeshore East trains or use the connection at Kennedy.

I can understand a desire for having only select trains stop there; its no different that a desire for express runs on longer trips.

I can't really get behind the idea that all trains on a given route should bypass a station, compelling both those who wish to travel from further north to alight at Danforth; or those who would board at Danforth to travel north to take a more circuitous and less convenient route.

While numbers using this combination may be low right now, as Downtown Markham builds up and a York U campus arrives, and more than 6,000 new residents arrive at Main/Danforth; this connection will serve a fair number of people.

It's not odd at all. Ridership at rush hour is far, far higher at Rouge Hill than it is at Danforth.

What is odd is that it took GO this long to reinstate the express train stops at Rouge Hill after taking them away several years ago.

And what about people who are wanting to transfer from Lakeshore East to the Stouffville Line? There is a not-inconsequential number of people who wish to do this transfer, but are forced to use other methods to commute every day.

Dan

Last edited:
While numbers using this combination may be low right now, as Downtown Markham builds up and a York U campus arrives, and more than 6,000 new residents arrive at Main/Danforth; this connection will serve a fair number of people.

Even with 6,000 more residents, Main and Danforth will never be a big trip generator for GO, but sure, if York builds the Markham campus, then maybe there would be enough "reverse" travel to justify the stop in the future.

And what about people who are wanting to transfer from Lakeshore East to the Stouffville Line? There is a not-inconsequential number of people who wish to do this transfer, but are forced to use other methods to commute every day.

Do you have any data for this? I can't imagine more than a handful of people do this a day.

Even with 6,000 more residents, Main and Danforth will never be a big trip generator for GO
Once fares are integrated and trains are stopping at least every 7.5 minutes (combined Stouffville and Lakeshore lines) I wouldn't be so sure. It's a much faster trip to the financial district than the subway and will offer connections to the DRL/Ontario line in the future. Within the next decade GO's transition to an RER style system will make it extremely important to neighbourhoods like the Danforth.

I think Danforth will eventually see more passenger traffic. As RER comes on stream it is much faster and more comfortable to get downtown than taking the Danforth subway and then transferring at Bloor and having to hyperventilate on Yonge.

Remember also that RER at Danforth will be arriving at near subway frequencies. It will be served by 2 RER routes which means service every 7.5 minutes but remember that will be the absolute MINIMUM. 7.5 minute frequency is based on RER arriving every 15 minutes but when ML states the service level of 15 minutes that includes Sunday at 11:30 PM. The RER will be running far more frequently than that daytime M-F and in 15 years RER could EASILY be running each line at 6 minute intervals during the day which means Danforth would have 3 minute frequencies...…….subway standards.

Do you have any data for this? I can't imagine more than a handful of people do this a day.

Admittedly, I don't have any hard data for this.

But I know of 4 people who would use this commute on a daily basis if it was offered (as it is, 2 drive and the other 2 take transit). And I can't see how they would possibly be the only 4 making this commute each day.

Dan

Back