News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Until there is more track in place, it simply is not possible to run a service from Toronto to Kitchener in that time slot.
Despite GTR/CN/VIA running that service from the 1800s to the 1990s. (or was it the early 2000s). Had GO started putting back the track and switches that were removed, when they started the new signalling, that service could be running already.

They could at least run a morning train to Bramalea to meet the already-running express bus, allowing one to skip the congested part of the trip.

Last edited:
Despite GTR/CN/VIA running that service from the 1800s to the 1990s. (or was it the early 2000s).

There was a lot more track in place back then. There used to be sidings at Limehouse, Acton, Rockcut, Guelph and Guelph Junction, Mosborough and Breslau, as well as the existing 2 mile+ siding at Kitchener. Now, the tracks that remain at Rockcut, Guelph and Hanlon (formerly Guelph Junction) have been downgraded to the point where they aren't even considered usable for sidings.

Thankfully, the work that is going on this year and next should fix this problem.

Dan

There was a lot more track in place back then. There used to be sidings at Limehouse, Acton, Rockcut, Guelph and Guelph Junction, Mosborough and Breslau, as well as the existing 2 mile+ siding at Kitchener. Now, the tracks that remain at Rockcut, Guelph and Hanlon (formerly Guelph Junction) have been downgraded to the point where they aren't even considered usable for sidings.
As I noted above in the edit you probably didn't read ... I'm not sure why they didn't start putting that back years ago in conjunction with the signalling. And why not run at least a train to Bramalea?

Thankfully, the work that is going on this year and next should fix this problem.
That's good to hear! I wasn't aware that had started.

^I will confess I am not an early person, so I can’t research this on my own.

How are the loads on the 5 (soon to be 6) trains out of Kitchener? They are plenty full by the time they reach Toronto, but I’m wondering if they reflect growth in Kitchener commuters, versus empty seatmiles that bolster Verster’s performance metric while only generating ridership further in?

- Paul

Despite GTR/CN/VIA running that service from the 1800s to the 1990s. (or was it the early 2000s). Had GO started putting back the track and switches that were removed, when they started the new signalling, that service could be running already.

They could at least run a morning train to Bramalea to meet the already-running express bus, allowing one to skip the congested part of the trip.
They could turn the two bramalea deadheads into service trains and meet with the express-bus to Kitchener.

There are a couple of other minor changes, but these are the most notable. And there will be additional service changes at the end of October as well.

I’m led to believe that one of those minor changes is a tightening of timings Kitchener-Toronto, only 5 minutes in some cases but up to 10 or more in a couple. That’s a very positive thing - a sign that some trackwork is starting to get done.

- Paul

For the morning/midday eastbound trips the two Kitchener trains added are extensions of current trips running but time shifted 5 minutes, im not too sure if they are going to go for the 7:57 being in mount pleasant by the current 9:00 time or just add 5 minutes to the existing train. Same thing with the 14:57 train running express after malton. It would be very good however if it did save the 5 minutes and ran express, that would be a total time of 1 hour 42 minutes to Toronto which would be quite attractive for an afternoon option. I'm not sure if they will do anything with the bramalea deadhead but i put it in just for reference

Attachments

• 1565375462605.png
    1565375462605.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 1565375561569.png
    1565375561569.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 355
Does anyone know if there is a full scale map of the GO train system?

I see that GO has one for each route on their website, but every other line is greyed out

Example heres barrie
barrie_63_65_68_600.png

But does a map exist where all the lines are shown at once?

^I will confess I am not an early person, so I can’t research this on my own.

How are the loads on the 5 (soon to be 6) trains out of Kitchener? They are plenty full by the time they reach Toronto, but I’m wondering if they reflect growth in Kitchener commuters, versus empty seatmiles that bolster Verster’s performance metric while only generating ridership further in?

- Paul
For each train
5:15 is standing room only after Malton
5:40 is standing room only after malton
6:05 is standing room only after Brampton Go.
6:45 is usually standing room only after Bramalea
The 9:00 departure(Future 6th train) from mount pleasant uses a 6-car train and its usually standing room only after Malton.

I've been on the train several times the whole way through and alot of Kitchener passengers get off at Guelph, Georgetown or the Brampton Stations.

Does anyone know if there is a full scale map of the GO train system?

I see that GO has one for each route on their website, but every other line is greyed out

Example heres barrie
barrie_63_65_68_600.png

But does a map exist where all the lines are shown at once?

Something like this?

Or are you asking for something that's more to scale and similar to the one you posted?

I've taken the 540 and 605 from Kitchener and there's a reasonable number of people on both. I usually took the 1535 from Union and a significant number of people rode to the end. Maybe 50-100?

As I noted above in the edit you probably didn't read ... I'm not sure why they didn't start putting that back years ago in conjunction with the signalling.

Budget envelope. Only so many dollars to spend.

On the bright side, with the modern signalling, adding signalized sidings, interlockings and double track is a hell of a lot easier and faster.

Dan

Back