News   May 03, 2024
 316     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 269     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I don't understand how this board has convinced itself that RER is cancelled. It's full steam ahead still until told otherwise. Electrification will happen by 2025.
I don’t understand how people watch shenanigans like Kirby GO and still assume the fix is not in

^ Just remember their "Line by Line Audit"...and how they cherry pick items that the Public or Opposition won't get to see. And it's due any day now...

an awfully cynical and quite frankly depressing view on life.

Doug is rather, err, far from being a competent premier - but that doesn't mean that absolutely everything provincially related will automatically totally implode in on itself.

I'm not saying that RER will survive intact 100% all the way either, just that as of today, things are still moving forward with no real signs that they will be stopped. Of course there is always the possibility it will be cancelled, but right now it isn't, and the PCs
had it's retention in their platform.. which leaves me giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. The way discussion on this board has gone over the past two months you would think that the thing had died a glorious death. It hasn't.
'
Cynical, maybe. But the track record so far, with the exception of "Buck a beer", most if not all of their moves since June have been to throw away anything introduced by the Liberals regardless of claimed "support" during the election. So, no, I don't think the province will be destroyed after 4 years, but I do think that any progress that had been started towards a reasonable and modern society over the past 15 years is at risk of being washed away under the guise of not being what the people wanted when voting "for" a PC government (even though most people were voting against a Liberal one.)

And that is my guess why many here fear that RER-like service is at risk and at best we can see service stay the same as today.

I don’t understand how people watch shenanigans like Kirby GO and still assume the fix is not in

It's not a all or nothing preposition- we could see what mdrejhon states, stretched out timelines. We might also see cuts to the scope of the project- i.e. stations like Kirby might be out up to a scaleback of electrification for certain lines if the overall budget is reduce (how I imagine any cuts will take form).

This is a story that we will need to keep a careful eye on for the next few months until the audit is over and Ford's 'new CEO moves' are done.

That being said, I still think RER is enough of a shiny suburban toy that Ford won't necessarily touch. The LRTs, on the other hand, are probably a more lucrative target given that they are 1.) "Streetcars" and 2.) There is some tangible public opposition to those projects.

The same developers that had Del Duca in their pockets have shifted their support to the Conservatives. I expect Kirby GO to move forward.

So since its obvious that GO/Metrolinx are waiting on these latest Barrie/Stouffville double trackings and 4th track on Kitchener Line to offer any higher service levels, when can we expect service expansions on those lines?

In other words, what dates are the current Barrie, Stouffville and Kitchener (401 tunnel and 4th track) projects expected to be done, at which point I would expect service levels would be increased?

So since its obvious that GO/Metrolinx are waiting on these latest Barrie/Stouffville double trackings and 4th track on Kitchener Line to offer any higher service levels, when can we expect service expansions on those lines?

In other words, what dates are the current Barrie, Stouffville and Kitchener (401 tunnel and 4th track) projects expected to be done, at which point I would expect service levels would be increased?
The 401 tunnel and 4th track may be needed long term to get the Kitchener line up to 15 minute ReR type frequencies...but there s no way that it is "obvious" that it is needed to "offer any higher service levels"....something far more fundamental is blocking that.......the CN ownership of the tracks from just east of Bramalea to Georgetown comes to mind.

Just checked the Stouffville expansion page. Some detailed timeline added and seems that it has been deferred for a year to 2026:

upload_2018-9-19_11-55-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-19_11-55-22.png
    upload_2018-9-19_11-55-22.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 490
Just checked the Stouffville expansion page. Some detailed timeline added and seems that it has been deferred for a year to 2026:

View attachment 157176

Interesting to see the move to universal grade separation, at least within City limits.

I'm also fascinated that the price for Danforth Rd. grade separation is lower than Finch.

I would have thought the proximity of the Midland intersection and the Lakeshore trackage would have made this more complex and expensive.

Four hundred million for platform edge tile. That can't be right.

Indeed. I suspect it's a really poor title for "all station modifications not covered by anything else".

I'm also fascinated that the price for Danforth Rd. grade separation is lower than Finch.

Finch street level includes some no-trivial station components that greatly increase scope; bus drop-off/pickup including waiting space on both sides (nearly doubles the railway span) plus railway platform on the upper deck would double the width. It's likely that most (perhaps all?) of the station build (elevators, etc.) is a part of this tender as those components are inside the grade separation space.

http://smarttrack.to/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Finch-Kennedy_accessible-Flat-2-April-2018.pdf

Danforth is tricky but a much smaller scale.

Last edited:
Those grade separations are crazy expensive - more than the parking garages some of us are bitching about.

Back