News   Jul 15, 2024
 83     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 313     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

There you go, thinking right hand and left hand ought to talk to each other.......

- Paul
I am just thinking the person in charge of posting schedules should be able to think critically and, maybe, wonder “what would happen if I just wiped out these bus schedules for a weekend?”

Perhaps the sign-offs came too late. GO has another major board change in November, I think.
I'd think that with the anti-transit anti-spending new government, that any promises from their pro-transit predecessors has no meaning.

I don't think anyone really expects that there'll be as much progress until the PC caucus tosses Doug Ford, or there's a new election. Some hourly all-day two-way service perhaps to meet some promises to 905 and 519, but I doubt we'll see any off-peak 15-minutes or the promised $3 fares that would have necessitated such service levels!

^ I'm not sure if we can call it "anti-spending" on transit just yet but from what I heard from the recent AMO meetings, a lot of the responses from Ministers included the language off "we're still reviewing x, or note the line by line review". And "line by line" in this case is the look at the government's books, not GO lines.

So, today, I tried to find out what time the KW trains to the Ex are running.....I couldn't find it so I asked on twitter which led to a very strange exhange and experience.

View attachment 154172

After which I was told:

https://twitter.com/GOtransitKT/status/1032362717984817152

View attachment 154173
Just as a follow up.....even after having the absurdity of their online schedules showing zero service in that corridor on a holiday weekend.....nothing was done and searching today for a schedule between Brampton GO and Union on September 1 yielded the same result .....no trains or buses on that day between those stations!

Aside from how absurdly amateur this is....it may actually be hurting their revenue and forcing people to plan a labour day weekend trip to the city via car.

^ I'm not sure if we can call it "anti-spending" on transit just yet but from what I heard from the recent AMO meetings, a lot of the responses from Ministers included the language off "we're still reviewing x, or note the line by line review". And "line by line" in this case is the look at the government's books, not GO lines.
Seriously dude, are you still trying to defend the PCs? It's over. They're not going to suddenly turn out to be educated, thoughtful, pro-transit people. They straight-up just suck the big one all day long.

Let's deal with the consequences in a realistic way. Here's a hint: If you like transit and want infrastructure improvements, don't vote PC.

^ I'm not defending them. I'm just saying they haven't made any public decision...yet. My point was about the timing and that it would likely come after the line by line review. I agree that there is a high likelihood is that transit investment and expansion will slow.

Just as a follow up.....even after having the absurdity of their online schedules showing zero service in that corridor on a holiday weekend.....nothing was done and searching today for a schedule between Brampton GO and Union on September 1 yielded the same result .....no trains or buses on that day between those stations!

Aside from how absurdly amateur this is....it may actually be hurting their revenue and forcing people to plan a labour day weekend trip to the city via car.

Are third party apps like Moovit and the Transit app showing anything?

New GO Train schedules are up. Very disappointing, no big changes. Here are the (not really) major changes I found, pretty much just making more trains 12 coaches long, and cutting others to 10:
  • LSW - the 3:15 p.m. westbound trip from Union Station and 4:29 p.m. eastbound trip from Aldershot GO will now be 10 coaches long instead of 12 (cut)
  • LSE - the 5:40 p.m. eastbound trip from Union Station will now be 10 coaches long instead of 12 (cut)
  • Kitchener - Starting September 4, a new weekday trip from Malton GO at 8:33 a.m (6 coaches long) will make all stops to Union Station arriving at 9:05 a.m. 5:24 a.m. and 6:47 a.m. eastbound trips from Kitchener GO and 5:50 p.m. and 6:50 p.m. westbound trips from Union Station will be expanded from 10 to 12 coaches
  • Barrie - 5:18 a.m. southbound trip from Allendale Waterfront GO and 6:35 p.m. northbound trip from Union Station will be 10 coaches instead of 12.9:40 p.m. northbound trip from Union Station and 10:41 p.m. southbound trip from Aurora GO will be cut to 10 coaches instead of 12

^ Interesting...so it looks like they are swapping some of their 10 and 12 coach trains for different lines. The Malton start location is interesting - I wonder if they had to work it around some CN local freight?

^ Interesting...so it looks like they are swapping some of their 10 and 12 coach trains for different lines. The Malton start location is interesting - I wonder if they had to work it around some CN local freight?

Probably because the Bramalea pocket track is out of service (the platform ripped up and unusable). It's a pretty useless trip compared to the needs the Kitchener line has. The next train from Malton - the 7:10 from Kitchener - arrives at Malton at 8:41. It would be good if that train ran express, skipping Etobicoke North, Weston, and Bloor, but I don't see that happening as it would catch up to the 8:33 from Malton or interfere with UP Express trains.

Probably because the Bramalea pocket track is out of service (the platform ripped up and unusable). It's a pretty useless trip compared to the needs the Kitchener line has. The next train from Malton - the 7:10 from Kitchener - arrives at Malton at 8:41. It would be good if that train ran express, skipping Etobicoke North, Weston, and Bloor, but I don't see that happening as it would catch up to the 8:33 from Malton or interfere with UP Express trains.
Skipping Weston probably not a good idea either.....the number of people travelling with luggage from west of my station that get off st Weston seems to increase weekly.

Malton start would not need any CN approval.....isn’t Maton - Union all on GO owned track?

It is but I'm wondering if there is still an any issue with any local CN freight. Similar to what's happening on the Barrie Line.

CN roadswitchers are able to get from Malport down to Rexdale without conflicting with GO. There are service tracks on the north side and in places on the south side. It's a much more workable setup than the Newmarket Sub, even with all the commuter trains.

The new turnback train is interesting because at rush hour, GO is limited to single direction running due to CN and UPE conflicts and single platform at Etobicoke North. There are two usable tracks as far as Malton, but the second track is idle until midday 2 way service starts. Might as well use it to run a turnback train up to Malton. It's creative, at least.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back