News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

We're only six weeks away from the fall service changes.

I don't expect much in the way of rail improvements (though evening and weekend service to Mount Pleasant would be nice) but I expect to see some bus changes, like the rumoured withdrawal of GO buses to York University and the forced transfer at Highway 407, especially now with the discounted GO/TTC transfer and the provincial election passed.

The 407 transfer will certainly benefit GO, making for more efficient bus operations. It might also make the 407 corridor useful for more inter-905 trips.

I also wonder if York University GO Station will finally close as well.

I don't expect much in the way of rail improvements (though evening and weekend service to Mount Pleasant would be nice) but I expect to see some bus changes, like the rumoured withdrawal of GO buses to York University and the forced transfer at Highway 407, especially now with the discounted GO/TTC transfer and the provincial election passed.

The 407 transfer will certainly benefit GO, making for more efficient bus operations. It might also make the 407 corridor useful for more inter-905 trips.

Is the layover area at Highway 407 complete?

There are plenty of rumours about significantly improved train service. I'm sure we will see new train service - though it is difficult to know exactly what.

- Fix the service gap on Stoufville and turn the trains around at Mt Joy.
- Evening and Weekend service to Mt Pleasant
- Service extended to Barrie or at least Newmarket on the Barrie line.
- Hamilton service for Niagara

Is what I want to see.

There are plenty of rumours about significantly improved train service. I'm sure we will see new train service - though it is difficult to know exactly what.

This would be a political win for Metrolinx. It would give something for Ford and the new PC government to brag about, and help Metrolinx show their worth to the new government, even though it was the previous government that paved the way for these improvments.

Any more rumours about the alleged 15-min Lakeshore service that was previously mentioned?

Yes, there are. And it sounds like CN may have signed off on some of them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Please don't tease me like this, all day and weekend service to Mount Pleasant to guelph would be great. The current situation on weekends is horrible living in Guelph; I either have to drive to Aldershot or take the GO bus. The GO bus isn't bad itself, it's the 2 hour travel from Union combined with the all the turns and milk run stops thats bad.

Direct GO Bus service between KW and Guelph seems like a no brainer. Transferring Aberfoyle is just silly. I know many people who would love to take the evening GO train from Guelph to KW for a night out, only to have to take a cab back. A bus service that connects directly to Mount Pleasant via Kitchener - Guelph - Rockwood - Acton - Georgetown would be great.

Please don't tease me like this, all day and weekend service to Mount Pleasant to guelph would be great. The current situation on weekends is horrible living in Guelph; I either have to drive to Aldershot or take the GO bus. The GO bus isn't bad itself, it's the 2 hour travel from Union combined with the all the turns and milk run stops thats bad.

Direct GO Bus service between KW and Guelph seems like a no brainer. Transferring Aberfoyle is just silly. I know many people who would love to take the evening GO train from Guelph to KW for a night out, only to have to take a cab back. A bus service that connects directly to Mount Pleasant via Kitchener - Guelph - Rockwood - Acton - Georgetown would be great.
Blame Greyhound. And blame them for not allowing a Kitchener/Guelph -- Hamilton bus service.

Blame Greyhound. And blame them for not allowing a Kitchener/Guelph -- Hamilton bus service.
I've heard this argument before, but does Greyhound have a legal leg to stand on? From what I understand, Greyhound is an intercity bus service while GO is a transit service. Therefore, Greyhound can't stop GO from starting a direct service, especially if GO has multiple stops along Highway 7.

This foot dragging by Greyhound is why I'm glad to see them slowly go under. It's only a matter of time until this withdrawal service within Ontario. However improved train and connecting bus service can replace the void.

I've heard this argument before, but does Greyhound have a legal leg to stand on? From what I understand, Greyhound is an intercity bus service while GO is a transit service. Therefore, Greyhound can't stop GO from starting a direct service, especially if GO has multiple stops along Highway 7.

This foot dragging by Greyhound is why I'm glad to see them slowly go under. It's only a matter of time until this withdrawal service within Ontario. However improved train and connecting bus service can replace the void.
In fact it isn't a case of "Blame Greyhound", it's the call of the Province to administrate what's a Federal jurisdiction.

Operating an Intercity Passenger Service in Ontario Today
A challenge facing the intercity bus industry is the licensing process which exists in Ontario today. Essentially, any company that wishes to operate an intercity bus service in Ontario must comply with two separate processes, illustrated in the following diagrams. The first diagram depicts the process of obtaining a public vehicle licence. New applicants are required to prove to the OHTB that their operations have merit, and this may prove to be difficult if they are applying to service a route that is already being serviced. Applicants also assume the risk that their application might face objections from existing operators, which can result in relatively large legal and administrative fees that small businesses often do not have.

The illustration below demonstrates the current process for securing a public vehicle licence from the OHTB:

secure-public-vehicle-licence-flowchart.jpg

• The Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) and Metrolinx (which operates GO Transit) are public sector agencies of the Ontario government that provide bus services between communities. Both agencies are exempt from the requirement to obtain a public vehicle licence.
And the private operator holder of the Guelph to Hamilton run is Canada Coach, not Greyhound.

Back