News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

FWIW the Milliken-Toronto midday GO train that I rode today had an announcement that after a brief pause at Union, the train would continue onwards to Aurora.
This has been the case for a while now, but it’s the first time that I have heard a crew announce the fact rather than telling people that the train would be out of service on arrival and every one should leave the train there.
I don’t know how many people would find this useful as a through route - yet - but it’s a sign that the through routings are starting to be recognised and marketed as such, instead of pretending that Aurora and Unionville are two separate routes.

- Paul

FWIW the Milliken-Toronto midday GO train that I rode today had an announcement that after a brief pause at Union, the train would continue onwards to Aurora.
This has been the case for a while now, but it’s the first time that I have heard a crew announce the fact rather than telling people that the train would be out of service on arrival and every one should leave the train there.
I don’t know how many people would find this useful as a through route - yet - but it’s a sign that the through routings are starting to be recognised and marketed as such, instead of pretending that Aurora and Unionville are two separate routes.

- Paul
So if some one continues to Aurora, does he/she need to tap off/on again at Union? If not can Presto calculate the fares properly?

I regularly change between LSW/LSE and other lines without tapping at Union. Presto handles the calculation just fine, and I know this is allowed because I have been fare checked on the second leg of the trip and the inspector’s reader has given an OK.
I have actually made across the platform transfers at Union, eastbound LSE trains often arrive with the Unionville train sitting there ready to go. LSE wb to Barrie is possible too, although the timing can be very tight. As if there isn’t enough reason to be pushy on those narrow platforms :)

- Paul

Last edited:
Damn, I wish GO would enforce the Quiet Zone on its afternoon rush trains. Here I sit on the train from Port Credit to Union and there's folks chattering about me, sounds like a chicken coop.
It’s like all their rules (bags on seats, feet on seats, toenail clipping, etc) they make ‘em and announce ‘em and leave it to the customers to enforce ‘em.....and, honestly, I am not sure how it could be any other way.

It’s like all their rules (bags on seats, feet on seats, toenail clipping, etc) they make ‘em and announce ‘em and leave it to the customers to enforce ‘em.....and, honestly, I am not sure how it could be any other way.
They announce them on the AM train, and for the most part people follow the Quiet Zone announcement. But I’ve never heard the Quiet Zone announcement on the PM train.

Maybe it's because I'm reverse commuting, from Port Credit to Union? But it's the 5:40pm train, surely that's rush hour still?

Last edited:
They announce them on the AM train, and for the most part people follow the Quiet Zone announcement. But I’ve never heard the Quiet Zone announcement on the PM train.

Maybe it's because I'm reverse commuting, from Port Credit to Union? But it's the 5:40pm train, surely that's rush hour still?
must just be an announcer issue because every pm rush train I have been on issues multiple reminders of the quiet zone (to the point I have joked that the only noise in the quiet zone is the constant announcements about the existence of the quiet zone ;) )

Damn, I wish GO would enforce the Quiet Zone on its afternoon rush trains. Here I sit on the train from Port Credit to Union and there's folks chattering about me, sounds like a chicken coop.
Enforce a voluntary quiet zone?

I fail to understand why one needs quiet zones - seems like completely unnecessary rules, which society would be best to get rid of.

Enforce a voluntary quiet zone?

I fail to understand why one needs quiet zones - seems like completely unnecessary rules, which society would be best to get rid of.

dare I say you are in a minority

I'd say quite zones don't make much sense, but quite CARS do make sense. Noise can travel from the bottom level to the top, but can't travel between cars.

I'd say quite zones don't make much sense, but quite CARS do make sense. Noise can travel from the bottom level to the top, but can't travel between cars.
Perhaps you have a different experience on the RH line, than my experience on the Barrie line. For the most part, it's working great on the Barrie line.

dare I say you are in a minority
is he?

Ever notice how the lower level of the train fills up first on most GO trains? Ever notice that no one on the lower level tells people to be quiet (ie they are not people who tried to get into the quiet zone and could not find a seat) but we frequently hear from people who want quiet but notice that people aren't quiet upstairs in the quiet zone (indicating to me that some of those people upstairs would much rather be downstairs in the social environment that allows chatting/interaction).

I rarely sit upstairs (even when travelling alone) because I don't get the whole "thow are humans, blessed with the power of communication but thow must not communicate" aspect of quiet zones.

I would suggest that the people who want/demand quiet zones are a fairly (ironically) vocal minority of GO train riders.

is he?

Ever notice how the lower level of the train fills up first on most GO trains? Ever notice that no one on the lower level tells people to be quiet (ie they are not people who tried to get into the quiet zone and could not find a seat) but we frequently hear from people who want quiet but notice that people aren't quiet upstairs in the quiet zone (indicating to me that some of those people upstairs would much rather be downstairs in the social environment that allows chatting/interaction).

I rarely sit upstairs (even when travelling alone) because I don't get the whole "thow are humans, blessed with the power of communication but thow must not communicate" aspect of quiet zones.

I would suggest that the people who want/demand quiet zones are a fairly (ironically) vocal minority of GO train riders.
There are many reasons why people may not sit upstairs. Dislike of the quiet zone is only one of them.

Back