News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 413     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

You are certainly correct that not all lines stop at all stations, but on the other hand, on a trunk section, one line typically acts as a limited-stop express service, while the other line provides local-stop service. To me and, again, comparing to the vast majority of rail networks, Bloor makes sense as a stop on both lines because it is nearest to the junction of two lines, bolstering GO's usefulness as a regional connector. It is not about looking good on a map, it is about preventing backtracking, reducing transfers, and building in redundancy. I think that if you consider GO as a means only to get to Union, which is how it is currently designed and perceived, a Milton stop at Bloor doesn't make sense, but looking beyond that, there's considerable potential for generating ridership on the kinds of regional trips that other jurisdictions take for granted.

Your suggestion of having the Milton line stop at the Liberty Village SmartTrack station is a good idea too - what it loses in backtracking and not providing redundancy on the westernmost portion of Line 2, it makes up for in being an excellent trip generator. If either (or both) of these options for a potential Milton RER were ultimately chosen, I would be happy.

I don't think we're gonna see Milton RER any time soon. I think it's far less likely than DRL. As much as it would be great to use an existing ROW, I don't see it happening unless CP goes under. You might as well just build a subway to MCC.

In a world where Kipling doesn't exist, then sure, spend the money on a Bloor stop on a theoretical future Milton RER line. But Kipling does exist (and it's a pretty decent interchange) and we don't have unlimited money for stations and stops. The money could be far better spent elsewhere on a stop that will generate new riders and/or offer access to communities which don't already have it.

So, Phil Verster answered a question on this at tonight's town hall.

He said Barrie is being done as a business case test project.

IF, the 12 and under is free generates enough new trips to pay for itself, it will be rolled out, if not, it will be rolled back.
While it would be nice to see Metrolinx harmonize with the TTC in a generous direction, it may be that this pilot will be used to pressure TTC to push their 12-years-free policy back down towards GO's - once John Tory is safely reelected of course.

service in the KW corridor (including UP express) halted for at least the next two hours due to a fatality.

upload_2018-5-1_18-3-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-1_18-3-21.png
    upload_2018-5-1_18-3-21.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 379
For some reason connectivity is not a priority in transit planning. Planners seem to like stud lines.

Um the planners are the ones who always *planned* for the Hurontario-Main LRT (as it was then-called) to hit GO Brampton.

It was the politicians in Brampton who decided all those years of *planning* were wrong.

Um the planners are the ones who always *planned* for the Hurontario-Main LRT (as it was then-called) to hit GO Brampton.

It was the politicians in Brampton who decided all those years of *planning* were wrong.
Fact check: Every route under consideration connects to the GO.....it is the bit in between that some Brampton politicians take issue with ;)

I am considering taking a Stouffville midday train on Thursday. What's the parking situation at Agincourt like after 9am?

Hate the new seats, I go out of my way to avoid them. How did they manage to come up with something so uncomfortable?

I suspect that there is some weight savings involved with the new seat design. The cushions themselves are reasonably light, but when each seat base weighs about 75 pounds, it adds up.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back