News   May 07, 2024
 353     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 338     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 316     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Apparently, CN has freight rights in perpetuity on the lines that they've sold to Metrolinx. As well, because they dispatch the lines that also gives them a bit more leeway to run trains when they want.
Perhaps more detail of this can be fleshed out, but as stated, what advantage does Metrolinx have by buying them if they're always a 'second tenant' on their own property?

Perhaps more detail of this can be fleshed out, but as stated, what advantage does Metrolinx have by buying them if they're always a 'second tenant' on their own property?

A better way of saying this might be, did ML think through all the potential details when they did the negotiations, and/or when they designed the service plan for the latest service? Some of this may sadly fall under 'buyer beware'.

The issue might look a lot different if there weren't discussions under way for a bypass. Not a good time to play hardball with CN. If you think CN is being heavy handed with a five-car wayfreight, just imagine what they may expect on the Halton. There are a whack of industrial customers between Bramalea and Brampton.

As noted, there will be a ML RTC running the show before too long.

- Paul

A better way of saying this might be, did ML think through all the potential details when they did the negotiations, and/or when they designed the service plan for the latest service? Some of this may sadly fall under 'buyer beware'.
- Paul
I thought that each sale of a line had particulars unique to it, whether that be temporal use, limited use during the day, only on some stretches, and other stretches freight banned altogether save for specials.

The really sad thing is that we will never know what has been agreed. As each line sale is/was announced/finalized we should have been told what it cost and what the terms were....all we got was "Public now owns corridor for an undisclosed payment to railway and railway retains running rights"....with real details remaining confidential....I have said it many times....ML spends a whole lot of public money without ever having to be transparent on terms (and without transparency how can there be accountability?).

This coming to Exhibition Place Board next week:

Date: January 16, 2018 To: The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place From: Dianne Young, Chief Executive Officer Wards: 14, 19
SUMMARY
With the increase in activity at Exhibition Place and ridership from the surrounding neighbourhoods, the Exhibition Place GO Station is not meeting the needs of its customers. Over the past few months, Metrolinx has been consulting with the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), City of Toronto Planning staff and Exhibition Place staff on possible short and long term proposals for improvement to the GO Station. As a first step to a public consultation on their proposals, Metrolinx will attend the Board meeting and will provide a presentation on the proposed improvements/changes including background, needs assessment and the preliminary functional site plan options to present the proposals and seek feedback from the Board.

They should have chatted a decade ago <headdesk>

AoD

Yeh, but who could've predicted that there would be such huge demand when you build 13 towers of residential housing w/ thousands of people?!

And I *never* would've thought that a 5m wide tunnel wouldn't be able to handle the people that empty out from a stadium that can hold 30,000.

Yeh, but who could've predicted that there would be such huge demand when you build 13 towers of residential housing w/ thousands of people?!

And I *never* would've thought that a 5m wide tunnel wouldn't be able to handle the people that empty out from a stadium that can hold 30,000.
Sarcasm aside.....the second bit was easy.....the stadium operated as a 22k stadium for several years and when sold out the tunnel was maxed out.....since the city owns the stadium, they would/should know that......I have long held the belief (and have yet to hear a compelling contrary argument) that the only reason that the stadium expansion was approved without fixing access/egress was that the same entity approving the expansion (the city) was on the application as the owner of the stadium.

This coming to Exhibition Place Board next week:

Date: January 16, 2018 To: The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place From: Dianne Young, Chief Executive Officer Wards: 14, 19
SUMMARY
With the increase in activity at Exhibition Place and ridership from the surrounding neighbourhoods, the Exhibition Place GO Station is not meeting the needs of its customers. Over the past few months, Metrolinx has been consulting with the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), City of Toronto Planning staff and Exhibition Place staff on possible short and long term proposals for improvement to the GO Station. As a first step to a public consultation on their proposals, Metrolinx will attend the Board meeting and will provide a presentation on the proposed improvements/changes including background, needs assessment and the preliminary functional site plan options to present the proposals and seek feedback from the Board.

Would be interesting to see a copy of the presentation when it's posted. I assume it will be posted on the Board's website?

The really sad thing is that we will never know what has been agreed. As each line sale is/was announced/finalized we should have been told what it cost and what the terms were....all we got was "Public now owns corridor for an undisclosed payment to railway and railway retains running rights"....with real details remaining confidential....I have said it many times....ML spends a whole lot of public money without ever having to be transparent on terms (and without transparency how can there be accountability?).

It boggles the mind to think that Kim Jong-un may know more about Metrolinx' true plans and intentions than the citizens of the GTA do.

Metrolinx thwarts cyber attack by North Korean hackers

- Paul

This isn't related to service per se, but rather to GO ridership experience. A fun read. http://www.gotransit.com/EtiquetteFail/Etiquette_Book.pdf

By far the best one (#5):
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 4.57.46 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 4.57.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 4.57.46 PM.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 276
Wasn't sure if I should put this in this thread or the Presto thread or the Metrolinx other stuff thread but here goes.

I have a bit of a business trip coming up in mid february that travel is not "rushed" at all so I have a bit of time to have a bit of fun experimenting.

So I am going to get a GO train from Brampton to Weston and then switch to the UP (I have contemplated doing this before but my business trips usually end with an evening return home and any chance of catching a GO train at Weston home to Brampton is usually dashed).

In the end this looks like I will dismiss it after trying it as a very long circuitous route to/from the airport (especially the return leg where I may end up having a lengthy wait/connection at Weston)....but it might be fun to try it out.

What really surprises me, though, is the fare cost. Forgetting for a minute that I will have to get to Brampton GO somehow at a time of the day when parking will be impossible......the combined (presto) fare to the airport is $11.82.....for an all rail trip to the airport that I roughly measure as net 16km......compare that to the $9.25 fare for a Union to Pearson trip that measures around 24km.

When asked, GO tell me it is because (and I quote) "GO Transit and UP Express are two separate entities, you must pay two separate fares." They have not responded to my follow up about how I often use GO and UP to travel between Weston and Exhibition and never pay two separate fares.

The real answer (which i suggested to them and they ignored) seems to be that they never got around to combining the fares into one set of readers....and since there are no "green" presto machines at the airport...anyone travelling east on the Kitchener GO line to connect to UP has to tap on at their home station on a green reader....tap off at Weston on a green reader and then tap back on at Weston on a Silver reader and tap off at the airport....so the Presto system(s) treat it as two completely separate trips.

Like I said, I am still gonna do it for fun/variety.....but it is a dumb way to deal with this and even dumber to lie about it....but that seems to be the Metrolinx way.

Back